Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 205 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Thanks everyone. It just feels good to vent a little. Here is an update.

We are appealing the decision anyway. My son's NNAT2 scores were messed up because Pearson, the company who computed his score used the wrong answer key. District TAG program apologized and they are still reviewing his application. My DYS counselor said there was nothing she could do to lobby for DS in this situation.

So while it's not an outright rejection, I have some red flags because gee, this kid has a history of scores in the 90s on the NWEA reading and math (86 was his lowest score) and no one on the committee noticed a huge discrepancy between achievement tests and NNAT2? His NNAT2 score was in the 1st percentile before we got them to admit they used the wrong answer key. Not one person on the committee thought "hmmm 99th in reading and science, 86th in math, and bottom of the barrel in NNAT2. Something is not computing here." That is alarming to me.

We are applying to other districts' TAG programs too, and my son just got into a private school with many gifted students but it is $18k a year and we didn't qualify for financial aid. We are happy about his admission but we are freaking out because it will mean so much change to everyone in the family if he goes there. But for once, it is nice to have options, even if they are some we cannot afford.

A
    A
    Jeez. With a 1 percentile result on an obviously smart kid I would assume a grading error or that the child purposely bombed the test. Hopefully the score comes back at the level he needs to qualify.

P
    P
    Unfortunately thinking isn't in many people's job descriptions.

LAF Offline
    Wow, you wonder how idiots get to run the TAG program..

Sorry someone had to say it.

Originally Posted by LAF
    Wow, you wonder how idiots get to run the TAG program..

Sorry someone had to say it.

Reminds me of that old Far Side cartoon with the guy straining to push the door with a very clear 'PULL' label on the door LOL

Become what you are
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Ha ha thanks for the laugh! I know this group here gets it vs my son's principal thinking I am just some crazy pushy "my child is special" mom!

What stinks for DS is the acceptance letters for TAG went out already, and we don't know if there will be a spot left for him if he qualifies. If his scores aren't high enough I can accept that. But if they are and all the slots are gone before he gets a fair shot that would be awful.

He daydreams all the time and reads under his desk (not books at his level, that is a no-no remember). I just miss the little eager learner he used to be & thought the district TAG program would reignite that spark.

Last edited by Wentworth; 05/18/15 06:57 PM.
    D
    DrH Offline
    D
    You know before you start trying to move heaven and earth to get him into the gifted program it might be a good idea to find out what that program actually is. I only say this because even in states that have requirements to provide gifted and talented education, what school do to meet those requirements can differ dramatically. I know in one state where we lived they had mandated teaching for gifted kids, but in one school that meant simply pulling the gifted students out of class for 45 minutes each week to give them a special class, in another it meant putting them in small groups within a regular classroom and then providing them more advanced work than the rest of the class... In other words don't assume the schools program is worth fighting for, it might not be worth the effort to get your child into it.

G
    G
    my son just got into a private school with many gifted students but it is $18k a year and we didn't qualify for financial aid. We are happy about his admission but we are freaking out because it will mean so much change to everyone in the family if he goes there. But for once, it is nice to have options, even if they are some we cannot afford.
    I know that feeling of unanticipated costs. We are pretty much in the same boat. We're opting to try the gifted school next year and see how it goes. Keep in mind if you choose that route, you'd only be committing for a year. It may be a great fit, or maybe it isn't for him.

A
    A
    Some things I'd try:

reach out to any network you have--a local gifted mailing list? local DYS parents? --and see what you can find out about the TAG program. It probably would be an improvement over your local school but you may be better off pushing for one of your other options.

if your appeal isn't granted I would consider going up the administrative chain -- the school board? is there a disability office at the state level?

could you manage to homeschool for a year?

when will you find out about the TAG programs in other districts?

I really, really feel for you because our first school also had a terrible principal that refused to allow accommodation for my 2e PG child. We finally moved. Next year (4th grade) will be her first year in a TAG program even though she'd been PG and needed advanced curriculum for years.

W
    OP Offline
    W
    Thanks for letting me vent and for giving me a lot to consider. We decided to take the advice here and try the expensive gifted private school for a year and see how it goes.

We recently completed a neuropsych eval (more on that in another post) and the doctor noted my son's anxiety was worse and now he had mild depression. He feels the depression is strongly tied to school.

We have to "right the ship" so we are biting the $18k bullet and enrolling him. My husband and I will have to get new jobs, but so be it. We just wanted him in the best situation to help him with his emotional issues.

Even though this is a great expense, I feel like a huge weight is off of my shoulders. It's funny, I should be worried about paying for this but all I feel is relief. It is a school that understands 2e kids, or so they say. I really want to believe them. I guess we'll see.

Last edited by Wentworth; 07/03/15 10:14 PM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM