Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #218862 06/26/15 06:56 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hello All, I had my second son tested with the WISC V and recently received the results. He seems to not have any of the problems of twice exceptionality that the older one has. As an aside, I am so not used a neurotypical child who does not have dysgraphia - completely floored that this kid can write (and I am sure it is just average but, comparatively, it floors me.) I was a bit surprised at how well he did, in terms of giftedness though, because he also isn't as intense or as verbal as the older one.

Anyway, here are his scores. The one thing that annoys me about this test is the timing aspect ... I get that timing is necessary for certain portions to see how fast or slow a child processes but for the other indices it should not be done in my opinion. As you can see, for Visual Puzzles with the time limit, he got a 9 (average), when the time limit was removed in
    Visual Puzzles he got a 15. This kid is very visual spatial and loves puzzles - always has. I got the impression from him that there was some sort of time limit on the block puzzles too - though tester and report didn't mention it.

Anyway, here are the scores. Would love to hear people's feedback or if you notice any issues smile

FSIQ 132 (98%ile)
    GAI 138 (99%ile)

Verbal Comprehension Index 139
    Visual Spatial Index 114
    Fluid Reasoning Index 128
    Working Memory Index 112
    Processing Speed Index 108

Similarities 18
    Vocab 16

Block Design 16
    Visual Puzzles (with time limit) 9
    Visual Puzzles (no time limit) 15

Matrix Reasoning 13
    Figure Weights 17

Digit Span 11
    Picture Span 13

Coding 11
    Symbol Search 12

Last edited by Irena; 06/26/15 06:59 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    That's a nice solid profile. The relatively lower WMI and PSI are not so low that I would immediately be concerned, especially in a GT kid.

Visual Puzzles has a time limit mainly to keep the test moving. In the standardization sample, it was unusual for children to provide correct responses after the time limit allowed. My experience is that being prompted on a couple of items in a row is enough to clue kids in that they should respond more quickly. Though he may have figured out the timing factor too late to avoid a premature ceiling.

Yes, Block Design is timed, but he seems not to have had difficulty with that.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks AEH!

It's just a shame... I think that the timing aspect ends up hurting a number of kids (especially 2e ones) ... I don't care what the standardization sample shows... I'm sure it hurt (and would hurt) my 2e kiddo (he took Wisc IV so did not have visual puzzles) and even seems to have been detrimental to my neurotypical one (while the score they got without the time limit is shown, it is the lower score that us used in the final scoring)...
    It's just that I can see this kiddo is way more gifted in VSI in real life but the test doesn't reflect that (due to the timing issue). It's no real matter I suppose in my son's situation but I feel for the kids that get missed due to that. Faster isn't smarter, necessarily - too much emphasis on speed, 'moving things along', imo frown

Last edited by Irena; 06/26/15 10:38 AM.
    Originally Posted by Irena
    too much emphasis on speed, 'moving things along', imo frown

Amen to that!

Anticipating, even now, that DS7 is going to stink up the danged SAT because of this,
    Sue

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    It's true that faster isn't smarter, and I agree that some kids are missed because of this, especially when they don't have a good clinician interpreting their performance, but test developers have to draw a line somewhere...is 30" long enough? 1'? 5'? At some point, it becomes difficult to compare performance across the norm group, if the vast majority of children offer their final response within a certain time period, but one outlier is accurate, but only after a substantially longer time. This is still clinically-useful information, which I would report, and use as the basis for recommending accommodations, but it makes the normative information that should be derived from it less meaningful, if that child's test conditions are that different from those of the standardization sample.

This is why test scores need to be interpreted by a skilled clinician. smile

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM