Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #218756 06/24/15 12:15 PM
    C
    Can2K Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    So I finally met with DS7's pediatrician about the OT report we had done a few months ago (the OT suggested DCD, but said we should ask his doctor).

Well, his Dr. said the he had referred another patient to a developmental pediatrician, and that doctor sent the child to an OT for diagnosis. He thought the OT should have just said it was DCD in her report. So, anyway DS' doctor gave me a letter saying DS has DCD (so I can share it with the school).

Hoping that this may make a difference in September and the teachers take his accommodations more seriously.

DS has been bringing bits and pieces of evaluations home from school, now that it's the end of the year. Yesterday I found a music evaluation in his backpack - gave him a C+ - it looked like he didn't do several parts of what was assigned (I can't even tell what the project was from the evaluation sheet) - apparently he didn't set an appropriate rhythm and didn't make any sound effects (it was the Three Little Pigs story). I asked DS and he told me he was supposed to write and draw stuff and ran out of time to finish. So I have no idea what happened, but if they are penalizing him for running out of time - when they know he's slow! - it just makes me mad. And now he thinks he's bad at music too. So - have to undo that damage! Argh.

Next year, we will be emailing his teachers every week, asking to see his work and making sure he's not getting discouraged.

Can2K #218765 06/24/15 02:01 PM
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Can2K
    And now he thinks he's bad at music too. So - have to undo that damage! Argh.

Next year, we will be emailing his teachers every week, asking to see his work and making sure he's not getting discouraged.

Is the emailing bit in 504 plan? I'd like to think that of course you'd get a response to your check-ins, especially in early elementary school, but after the last year we've endured (excuse the histrionics, but that's been the feeling), I'd want it spelled out with absolutely no room for misinterpretation.

For instance, DS' 504 said "mom will write weekly email to check progress" or something to that effect. It did not expressly state that teachers were to respond and so they did--or didn't, when they felt like it (I guess). I wouldn't have known to document "non-compliance" anyhow, but arguably, non-responses weren't non-compliant.

Thinking perhaps a contract-law attorney for next go-round. :P

Can2K #218766 06/24/15 02:03 PM
    E
    E
    Re: your DS thinking he's bad at music. Heartbreaking. I'd do a lot of education at home about the difference between being good at music and being a quick performer. Poor little guy. frown

Can2K #218774 06/24/15 03:38 PM
    B
    B
    DS was in private OT/PT off and on from preschool thru first grade and they said that they don't diagnose disorders like DCD.They can use a medical code like "lack of coordination" for insurance billing purposes, but that's about all they do. The first person that suggested DCD to me was a pediatric neurologist, but she didn't actually document anything, and then a neuropsych did the actual diagnosis later. But that wasn't acceptable for the school for IEP purposes. They needed it to be from an MD. So I had to get documentation from the MD, when the MD was the one who sent us to the neuropsych in the first place, to be evaluated. It was all rather bizarre.

If you want weekly updates from teachers, definitely get that formally in an IEP or 504 because I think you will be frustrated by the lack of response. I'm lucky if I get prompt responses back from teachers, if I get any response at all. Sometimes I'll have 2 or 3 specific questions and they'll only answer one question and ignore the others. And I wasn't emailing weekly, it was more along the lines of once or twice a month, with a question.

blackcat #218777 06/24/15 05:00 PM
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    DS was in private OT/PT off and on from preschool thru first grade and they said that they don't diagnose disorders like DCD.They can use a medical code like "lack of coordination" for insurance billing purposes, but that's about all they do. The first person that suggested DCD to me was a pediatric neurologist, but she didn't actually document anything, and then a neuropsych did the actual diagnosis later. But that wasn't acceptable for the school for IEP purposes. They needed it to be from an MD. So I had to get documentation from the MD, when the MD was the one who sent us to the neuropsych in the first place, to be evaluated. It was all rather bizarre.

If you want weekly updates from teachers, definitely get that formally in an IEP or 504 because I think you will be frustrated by the lack of response. I'm lucky if I get prompt responses back from teachers, if I get any response at all. Sometimes I'll have 2 or 3 specific questions and they'll only answer one question and ignore the others. And I wasn't emailing weekly, it was more along the lines of once or twice a month, with a question.
    One of the most confusing parts of all the evaluation pieces is that it's hard to know who diagnoses what and using what terminology. I wish there were a chart somewhere. I don't know if DSM diagnoses carry more weight when requesting education evaluation--it's all very mysterious.

Another thought re: emailing and check-ins. I'm thinking for next year, of trying to create some sort of MS Word template where the teachers could quickly check boxes on specifics and add comments as needed. Or maybe just a cut and paste format. If the specifics matched the 504 requirements, it might help everyone understand what we are trying to monitor and support. It might also help me (or you, any parent) to stay in the "from emotions to advocacy" head space. It's difficult to read emotionally-laden (negative) narrative stream without becoming emotional. Maybe that would be helpful for you, too, to design something very factual and specific.

(I am no expert for sure. Brainstorming with you.)

eco21268 #218782 06/24/15 05:51 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I like this idea, eco. My one caution would be to try very hard to get buy-in from the 504/IEP liaison, and discuss with him/her whether it will be most effective in that building for the brief checklist to "come from" the liaison or the parent, and how long of a checklist/comment form is the sweet spot for informative data vs teacher compliance.

We use annual checklist/short answer forms to collect teacher input for IEP development (and this input is legally-mandated), and it is like pulling teeth just to get those, even with periodic stern talking-to by the academic director (their direct supervisor). So believe me, this problem of teacher communication is not restricted to uncooperative sped departments. Find the allies in your building.

Re: DSM Dx. They don't really carry more weight per se in the school system, since schools operate under IDEA, not DSM/ICD. They do give you access to additional categories of IDEA, though, as they allow for the Other Health classification to be used, if no other one is more appropriate. This is generally applicable in the case that the DSM Dx is -not- "Specific Learning Disability" or one of its DSM-IV equivalents. Once SLD is invoked, the school system will use its own criteria for LDs, which do not have to be the same as the DSM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Can2K #218784 06/24/15 06:18 PM
    C
    Can2K Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks for the ideas! We're in Canada, so no 504. :-(

He has an IEP which includes gifted designation, as well as some accommodations for 'challenges'. They are not supposed to penalise him for being slow, but this kind of thing keeps happening. However DS is not very talkative about school and I don't see these project marks until weeks later when he can't remember what happened.

Even now, the day before the last day of school, I've only seen around 5 things come home from all of grade 1. His teachers do answer questions by email or on the phone - but what do I ask if I don't know what he's working on, or having trouble with?

I like your idea eco - I may suggest something like that at our September IEP meeting.

The sad part is, I thought he'd do well at music - he has a great musical ear, sings in tune, and is taking piano lessons. Of course it doesn't help when he refuses go sing along with the class because he doesn't like the songs! At the Christmas concert I could see him lip-syncing. LOL

Can2K #218853 06/25/15 06:16 PM
    C
    C
    Have you looked at the stuff from CanChild? It is Canadian based and tons of teacher and school specific info, even broken down by grade level.They might be more receptive to it than any U.S. Based info.

Can2K #218859 06/26/15 06:19 AM
    C
    Can2K Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks CAMom - they do have great info on that site, which we have passed along to the school.

He did bring his school work home yesterday, and some of it's pretty good. I was laughing out loud at a story he wrote.

And today he's in a funk because school is over for 2 months and 'he won't be learning anything'. So, it can't have been all bad.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM