Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #218675 06/23/15 08:56 AM
    A
    aanda Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Hi, this is my first post on this board, though I often read for information. My DD 16 is gifted, DH as well. Our DS just turned 3. He is also very intelligent. Same as many children described on this forum, reading before 3, counts to 100, etc... At his 3 year old check up, the doctor ordered an evaluation for ASD. I realize that my son is quirky and smart, but so are his father and sister, they are not autistic. My son does have some speech issues. We are also having a speech evaluation. Is being disinterested in other children, and speech issues enough reason for an physc evaluation? He makes eye contact, responds to facial expressions, cuddles a lot, and is physically coordinated. I value your opinions.

Last edited by aanda; 06/23/15 09:04 AM.
    aanda #218676 06/23/15 09:13 AM
    S
    S
    I would have the evaluation done. It really can't hurt and I assume that you are being referred to an expert in ASD. If your child is displaying symptoms early therapy and intervention can be very valuable and make a difference, provided the expert feels they are necessary. As parents sometimes we are to close to our children to see red flags and an outside opinion can be helpful. The evaluator could just as easily say nope, everything appears fine. Then you have peace of mind about any quirks.

aanda #218678 06/23/15 10:14 AM
    C
    C
    Welcome to the board.

I agree with sallymom - it can't really hurt and if it does turn up something it is better to know earlier rather than later.

At the same time I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it based on your brief description. My DS raised some red flags when he was younger with his speech delay and extreme introverted nature. We did a lot of speech therapy and now he doesn't shut up when he's around people he knows. He's still an introvert that takes a long time to warm up to situations and people. We encourage him to push his boundaries a little but we also realize that at his core this is who he is.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM