Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Back to the thread's theme of National Autism Awareness...

Here is a resource linked from an article mentioned on another thread: Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative ( SFARI )
    Originally Posted by article
    One place that I find consistently good interpretation and synthesis of autism science is SFARI.org, website for the Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative. It’s another autism organization begun by a well-heeled philanthropist with an autistic family member, but the focus of both the organization’s funding and the science communicators on the site is solidly scientific. What appears to be lacking is autistic representation and autistic voice, something Autism Speaks no longer has, either. But at least SFARI is getting it right on the science and doing it without roundly offending autistic people in the process.

Other resources frequently mentioned on the forums, which newcomers may wish to find together on a thread, include:
    - book: From Emotions to Advocacy
    - book: Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses

Resources listed on the Davidson Database include:
    1) Gifted Children with Asperger's Syndrome
    2) Asperger's: What Does It Mean to Me (2000). A newer version (2014) is now available: Autism: What Does it Mean to Me.
    I understand this new version, including title change, arose in response to the release of DSM-5 in 2013 (which reflects changes from DSM-4). This link to the CDC summary of diagnostic criteria explains that Asperger's is now considered to be within the Autism Spectrum.
    3) Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals
    4) Asperger's Disorder Homepage

This is just a starting point, some may call it "ASD 101", there are many other resources available.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    There are several TED talks on autism, including The forgotten history of autism.

The TED talks page displays other similar presentation topics which may be of interest, and there is an option to follow TED talks on facebook, twitter, and/or sign up to receive a TED talk each day by e-mail.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM