Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #21836 07/31/08 10:11 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Our school dist. is currently using EPGY math for our DS9. Our public school is switching to Larson math on-line course because of costs constraints. Does anyone have any experience with this program? Is it geared toward the gifted learner?

moonbeam #21876 07/31/08 12:31 PM
    My dd used Larson's Math in early elementary. It is a decent math program but not to be compared with EPGY. Larson's Math is good for the visual learner and has an easy interface. I wouldn't say that it is geared for the gifted learner though if I remember correctly the student can progress at his/her own pace. Also, it only goes through pre-algebra. My dd9 enjoyed Larson's Math when she was younger, but she likes ALEKS better. ALEKS is another low-cost option.

Texas Summer #21879 07/31/08 12:38 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks for the info. My DS is a visual spatial learner but is ready to take pre-algebra. Is ALEKS also an on-line course? I will see if I can find it.

moonbeam #21883 07/31/08 12:45 PM
    http://www.aleks.com/

ALEKS is not as pretty as Larson's Math, but it gives the student more flexibility to decide what he/she wants to study. It also goes through calculus.

The nice thing about ALEKS is that it is very affordable for schools to purchase. The cost is around $40/year per student, even for just one student. They also have a free trial if you want to see if your ds would like it.

Texas Summer #21887 07/31/08 12:54 PM
    You can also suggest Destination Math, currently owned by Harcourt Mifflin.

They have an "advanced" grade 6-8 and algebra grade 6-8.

The content is really good and great fun, animated graphics, engaging.
    However, my whole family agrees (and the neighbor's daughter!) that the pace is a little too slow.

It's also inexpensive and what Johns Hopkins distance learning program used to/or still does use from what I understand. Although that info could be out of date.

DD8 loves Aleks, but we have to switch back and forth between different learning tools because she loses interest in the format. Currently using Singapore Math and supplementing with Aleks.

incogneato #21888 07/31/08 12:58 PM
    The cost is around $40/year per student, even for just one student

That really chaps my hide. We have to pay $99 every six months! Why do they give one student at the school an 80 percent discount!

The school won't let DD do it in class because they "don't individualize curriculum".

They could purchase it for $40, and then I could re-imburse them even.

I might have to drop Aleks on principle.

incogneato #21898 07/31/08 01:48 PM
    They offer the schools a lower price so that they can get their foot in the door at the schools. They have an opportunity to sell lots of subscriptions if they can get into the schools. I approached the school about buying my dd's subscription and letting me reimburse them, but in the end I convinced our GT coordinator to buy some licenses for the district.

I have talked to the people at ALEKS about giving our GT group a discount, but the rep said it had to be a school. Maybe a homeschool group could get a discount. Even at the individual rate it is less expensive than EPGY and Larson's Math no longer sells to individuals. My dd is also using a program called First in Math at school. It is a great program geared to higher level thinking, but you cannot buy it as an individual. We need to somehow combine our buying power.

incogneato #21899 07/31/08 01:50 PM
    One of my kids used Larson when it was available for individual purchase. He did the grade 3-6 curriculum when he was age 7-8 and seemed to enjoy the user friendly interface and having things checked off as he progressed. I think it's a decent program.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM