Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    B
    I love most of the suggestions above. In addition I would keep scribing for him. The preschool my kids attended this was a normal activity for them, the kids would draw pictures and the adults would be scribes for their stories about the pictures.

N
    NowWhat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    These are great ideas. I think the shaving cream will go over really well. We have lots of sidewalk chalk and we use it when we are home (currently out of town) and DS loves it but can't handle it very well so he struggles to draw what he wants to draw. I may also try paint once it warms up and he can go outside in a diaper. I wouldn't exactly call my son a neat individual so I can't even fathom paint in the house.

I've got some fridge magnets that I can start using. I hope he lets me use them since his focus seems to be on writing the word. My husband and I both find it odd since DS does not see us writing very often. We keep our lists on our phones or type on a computer. The drive is strong with our little dude I guess!

As always with my DS I am flabbergasted at his cognitive development. It seems so weird to me that he is showing such a strong and intense desire to write and read at such a young age. The other kids we know are beginning imaginative play and there is my kid is focused on letters and books. I was really looking forward to imaginative play so perhaps it will come later when he decides that's what he wants to do.

N
    NowWhat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Ooohhh - another fun thing to do with sounds (which are the basis of words, right?)- we used to drum a 4 beat on the floor or with sticks, whatever - just so long as we had a goof 4 beat. Then we would sing vowel sounds and call it the vowel song. We would say the letter, then both sounds it makes. DS would dance (ok - bounce) to his heart's content. We also did this same 4 beat drum/dance to some of the Dr. Seuss books. A great one for that is "Hand, Hand, Finger, Thumb".

I really just LOVED this age.

This sounds like so much fun! I'm a big believer in engaging the whole body when learning so bouncing and singing is something I will try!

P
    P
    Here are a few of our favourite things:

Definitely fridge magnets. I frequented out local consignment store and probably had a dozen sets - enough to write long messages to the kids each morning, and for them to help create new ones for Daddy in the afternoon (and greetings for expected visitors).

We loved the Leap Frog Word Whammer, but apparently it's now worth it's weight in gold?! There must be a modern equivalent.....
    http://www.amazon.com/Leap-Frog-Wha...21_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1B0M1KXMNK6BAW3RJ7FQ

Easel with whiteboard/ paper roll. Endless large scribble potential. And if you unroll the paper on the floor, you can really go for miles.

Finger paint with pudding. Oh yes, I am serious!

Dry erase marker books, lots of different kinds, with puzzles, hangman, traceable letters and words - whatever you like. Random sample:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=dry+erase+marker+book

"B is for Bulldozer": http://www.amazon.com/Is-Bulldozer-Construction-ABC/dp/0152057749

Oh, have fun! Such a cool age.

SLO Offline
    Can�t add a lot here, but want to sympathize with you on the �Mommy, write this!� phase. My son was a little over 2 years old when he started asking me to write numbers on any available piece of paper. He would say the number, and I would write it. Long lists of numbers that would go on into the hundreds. Terribly boring for mama, but oh so delightful for the child.

I got those bendable wax sticks for �art making� when we went out to eat, but of course he wanted them shaped into numbers and letters. He never had any interest in Legos or play dough� except to make them into (you guessed it) numbers and letters. smile

We had many sets of the Melissa & Doug letter and number magnets, and a very long, metal coffee table from CB2, so he could play with making equations and words in the living room rather than on the kitchen floor.

Seconding (or thirding) the writing in shaving cream. Also, �water painting� with wet brushes on outside surfaces.

I will say, when he finally started writing his own letters and numbers at around 3.5, his penmanship was lovely. All that studying!

As others have said, have fun! smile

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    This brings back memories! At 3, our DS began writing for 5 hours a day until he felt that he had learned how to write. Now he spends a few hours a day making books, doing math and drawing-it's awesome! I get to enjoy it and not be the on-demand scribe. I know this stage feels like you are just scrambling to give them a way to match his cognitive skills with the much younger fine motor but soon it will begin to mesh and it's really special to see them finally express themselves.

C
    C
    Magna doodle!!!!

Big ones, travel ones can't have too many magna doodles at this stage

Last edited by Cookie; 06/13/15 06:03 AM. Reason: Fix auto correct
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Cookie
    Magna doodle!!!!

Big ones, travel ones can't have too many mag a doodles at this stage

Yes!!

N
    NowWhat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Hubby is off to get a magna doodle today. We played with one at the library this week and he loved it! For whatever reason he isn't interested in the fridge magnets. I have had a set for a while but he shoves them in a box and walks away. He seems to prefer the wooden letters that go in the Haba alphabet puzzles we have. DS is like a moth to the flame when it comes to puzzles so that could be part of his preference.

This age is really something else and my son frequently leaves people scratching their heads about what he can do. I'm due with #2 in December so I'm trying to soak it all in now before I have to balance two little ones.

C
    C
    I'm new here and I am so excited to find other parents with extraordinary kids like mine. I've felt so alone before and didn't share much about my boy for fear that people would think I'm exagerating or that I'm forcing/drilling him at home with study time. My DS3 (just turned three) has been freaking us out since he could talk. He had mastered the alphabet (no matter case or font) when he was just one. He surprised us by saying the alphabet backward when he was 18 months (and was confused when I wasn't saying it with him - I don't know anyone who can). His favorite game at two was spelling the words he heard people say. He counts into the hundreds and in multiples. He LOVES to write and draw shapes (on his chalkboard, in notebooks, on scraps of paper). And of course read. And I mean all day if I'd let him. At two, I discovered in a store that he could read all sight words (even up to third grade) in one shot, and he wanted more. I recently figured out he can read books meant for 8-9 year olds (and he understands what he his reading). We haven't found just how far he can go yet.

I am pulling him from his "traditional" preschool/daycare and putting him in a Montessori preschool next month. He's been so bored at his traditional school. They let him read the circle-time books to the class when he was in the "2s room", but in the "3s room", he has to sit quiet while his agemates learn about letters, numbers, shapes and colors.

With Montessori offering classes like robotics for 5 year olds, I'm hoping he thrives there!

If any of you have any advice to share, please do!

Thank you!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM