Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    I am not an expert, but here are a couple more possibilities.

1. The school provided percentiles based on your district and your district is slightly lower than the national standards: For example, if 98 percentile in your district would only be 96 percentile nationally and thus 126 on the scale.

2. The school provided percentiles based on age (and your child is on the young side) but calculated the 126 based on grade.

Of course, it is entirely possible that the school doesn't know what they are doing at all. Like others have posted, the 16 SD means that 132 rather than 130 should be the magic number for this test.

Good luck an keep pushing.

Actually, #2 would be the other way around: the school provided percentiles based on grade, and a CSI based on age, and your child is old for grade, so the grade percentiles are higher.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    sigep, I doubt you will be able to get information on other students, but there is a piece of information I think you should be able to get. I think the school most likely received a report on the Terra Nova with a bit more detailed info than what you've received. You should be able to request a full report from your school district. I can't remember the technical name to ask for (other than "full report"), but in our district, the name of that report is listed on our website where testing info is provided.

polarbear

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    I am not an expert, but here are a couple more possibilities.

1. The school provided percentiles based on your district and your district is slightly lower than the national standards: For example, if 98 percentile in your district would only be 96 percentile nationally and thus 126 on the scale.

2. The school provided percentiles based on age (and your child is on the young side) but calculated the 126 based on grade.

Of course, it is entirely possible that the school doesn't know what they are doing at all. Like others have posted, the 16 SD means that 132 rather than 130 should be the magic number for this test.

Good luck an keep pushing.

Actually, #2 would be the other way around: the school provided percentiles based on grade, and a CSI based on age, and your child is old for grade, so the grade percentiles are higher.

My dd is older. I feel it is odd that they would penalize her for that. It isn't as if her grades in the class will be weighted based on her age. I would think they would be looking for 4th graders more than capable of doing the work of the class and that won't change because she is older than some in the class.

I have found several sample InView CSI reports online and the other odd thing is they all show a range of : Range 110-125 CSI 118
    Range 77-109 CSI 93
    Range 102-108 CSI 105

My dd's show Range 120-138 CSI 126

I would think her CSI would be 129, not 126. If her score is lower based on her age why do the example reports fall into the typical formula for finding a score based off of range. This test is very confusing!!

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    sigep, I doubt you will be able to get information on other students, but there is a piece of information I think you should be able to get. I think the school most likely received a report on the Terra Nova with a bit more detailed info than what you've received. You should be able to request a full report from your school district. I can't remember the technical name to ask for (other than "full report"), but in our district, the name of that report is listed on our website where testing info is provided.

polarbear

I asked yesterday and they said the only thing they had was what they referred to as the label. It had her scores for NPG and NPA and her CSI Range and score. Does that sound like it?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM