Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    mominMA #218034 06/09/15 11:36 AM
    M
    mominMA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    We've been here for hours. He's actually enjoying the testing, i think it's probably the first time he's been challenged all year smile

mominMA #218036 06/09/15 11:46 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by mominMA
    He's actually enjoying the testing, i think it's probably the first time he's been challenged all year smile
    Sounds familiar! smile

mominMA #218040 06/09/15 12:42 PM
    P
    P
    I wouldnt think he has vision issues, he gets fairly regular eye exams as he has a small cataract, the cataract is so small he doesn't know it's there, how else could i tell?

Our dd with the severe vision challenge also was receiving regular eye exams. As Portia mentioned, an eye exam from the typical eye dr only tests for visual acuity in each eye, and it's possible to have 20/20 eyesight in each eye (my dd did at the time) and still not have the eyes working together effectively, which is important for accurate vision. In my dd's case, her eyes did not track and she had severe double vision, and the way her brain coped with it was to effectively turn off the vision in one eye. There were signs that she had vision issues but they were relatively subtle things that wouldn't necessarily be obvious unless you knew you were looking for a vision issue. Those signs included: not making direct eye contact when she was talking to us (instead she tended to look off into the distance), holding her head at an angle when working on school work, often putting it down on the table. Tiring quickly when she had to do school work, difficulties learning to read that didn't seem to match her intellectual ability. Extreme sensitivity to noise. Very messy eater - crumbs everywhere. Somewhat clumsy. Couldn't remember multi-step directions - for instance, if I told her to pick up her socks in the living room, put them in the laundry bin, and then wash her hands, she'd forget where she was going by the time she made it halfway to the laundry room. Easily frustrated with puzzles. Freaked out by the movie theater.

We met with neuropsych tonight, shes going to repeat all tests as she was perplexed by some of his old scores. This particular doctor has written a ton of articles and books and has done a lot of research on 2e so im hopeful that she'll give us some answers so we can make decisions on how to help him. Testing starts tomorrow, Wed, and possibly Thursday. She's going to give us preliminary feedback Thursday, then we'll her final report in the summer.

This sounds wonderful - good luck with getting through the testing and figuring out what's up!

Best wishes,

polarbear

mominMA #218122 06/10/15 03:08 PM
    M
    mominMA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Well, i don't have all the results, but before we left testing today she told me his IQ is 130, and he has ADHD (which we suspected)...2e...so Im NOT crazy! Relieved and soooo happy to finally be getting answers...another hour of tests tomorrow, then she'll give us more details.

mominMA #218125 06/10/15 03:50 PM
    I
    I
    she told me his IQ is 130
    Full-Scale IQ (FSIQ) or General Ability Index (GAI)?

mominMA #218134 06/10/15 06:53 PM
    M
    mominMA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    130 is FSIQ, will get other results tomorrow

mominMA #218136 06/10/15 07:17 PM
    C
    C
    IME with my 2e DS, knowing his GAI was key. Obviously I have a small sample size (and a completely different second e so this may or may not be relevant) but if they don't give you a GAI I'd definitely want to understand why.

Good luck tomorrow!

mominMA #218252 06/12/15 12:13 PM
    M
    mominMA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    His GAI was 129. Her final thoughts were. ADHD (which we suspected), SPD (which we knew about), disorded of written expression (which explains alot), possible CAPD which we have to further investigate and gifted.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM