Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Personally, I find the 50-60% in 6 years stat rather shocking, so why embellish?
    I understand that you may disagree with his sources, however that does not mean that he "embellished."

These stats refer to 2012-2013, with the webpage stating it was last updated in May 2015. This postdates his 2012 paper; These stats did not exist at the time.

This is still a misleading way to make your point and very bad journalism.
    1) Sorry you found his paper misleading, for some it was clear from the first reading, this may depend, in part, on one's knowledge base and lived experiences. It may also depend on watching the video and/or reading his paper, rather than commenting prior to seeing what he has said.
    2) Does he claim to be a journalist?

It is not the case that only a quarter of those who try to get a BA succeed.
    Nor was that stated. Apples and oranges.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thank you for this interesting link, summarizing college graduation rates in 6 years, for part-time and full-time, traditional and non-traditional students who enrolled in college in 2007, 2008.

Since that time, six more classes of students have enrolled, and times have changed: The economy has tanked, with a recession starting in 2008, largely affecting the "middle class". As companies close, older "non-traditional" students may be seeking degrees and/or studying for a second career.

Additionally, a portion of the middle class with well-prepared children may be seeking financial subsidy for their children's college education (as discussed on the forums, including several posts in the recent thread on College choices).

"Redistribution" has been a part of the political platform of the president 2008-2016.

All these factors may impact college persistence and retention rates. College enrollment and completion seem to be based on educational preparedness, financial preparedness, and personality/motivation.

I would be interested to see the trends over time.

Val Offline
    The statistic of about 50-60% of students graduating in 6 years from 4-year colleges is widely known in education circles. To cut this to 25% is dishonest. (He might say "Well, I didn't mean 4-year colleges" but when you say "bachelor's degree"...Say what you mean and be accurate, even if it takes longer.)

You're wrong, as HowlerKarma pointed out. Webster's dictionary defines higher education as post-secondary (after high school) and the Wikipedia entry on higher education specifically lists community colleges as being part of that class. You can decide that a sophomore at UC Davis is in "higher education" but that a sophomore at the local community college isn't, but that doesn't make you correct. smile

In addition, the statistic from the video said that a quarter of those that enroll in "higher education" after high school will get a bachelor's degree. This number was actually an overestimate:

Originally Posted by CC Research Center
    16.2 percent of students who started at community colleges in 2008 completed a degree at a four-year institution within six years.

While 81% of entering community college students indicate they want a bachelor's degree or higher, only 25% of entering students actually transfer to a four-year institution within five years.

Many, many students start higher education at a community college, because the costs are so much lower. Many of them fail because they don't possess the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in college. For educators as a group to claim that they don't count as being in "higher education" and that the real graduation rate is 60% is, IMO, simply claiming that the education emperor is wearing lovely new clothes. But of course, that is what American educators do.

Last edited by Val; 06/03/15 10:13 AM.
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    From the linked article
    Where do billionaires go to university?
    By Sean Coughlan
    BBC News education correspondent
    29 October 2014

The University of Pennsylvania has produced more than any other institution, followed by Harvard, Yale, the University of Southern California, Princeton, Cornell and Stanford. And the most likely way of making money is by dealing in money, with billionaires mostly making their fortunes through finance, banking and investment.
    At most Ivies you cannot major in "business", only "economics". U Penn has an undergraduate business school, Wharton, which may attract aspiring investors. Cornell has a program in Applied Economics and Management. Princeton offers a major in Operations Research and Financial Engineering.

This is interesting to a California native, because you can make an argument about Berkeley and Stanford being quite close to each other in terms of being "elite," though it makes sense that people who get richer would go to Stanford, given Berkeley's reputation as a left-leaning institution. (ETA: Hey! There's Berkeley right underneath Stanford if you read the article and get the full list. All seems right with the world there.)

On the southern end of the state, though neither of these institutions enjoy what would be considered "elite" status, you can't make a very good argument of institutional quality of UCLA versus USC. UCLA enjoys a far better educational reputation, and it's not even close. Furthermore, USC is located in a bad part of Los Angeles, while UCLA is in the tony western part of the city, where most of the city's elites live, so you'd think the wealthy residents would send their kids there. UCLA does not have a left-leaning reputation like Berkeley does. So how on earth are so many wealthy people coming from USC?

Where USC is truly elite, however, is sticker price (hence the common moniker "University of Spoiled Children"). They're an outrageously expensive private college. This is a trait they share, incidentally, with Stanford... and Penn... and rest of the Ivies on the list. Coincidence??

Last edited by Dude; 06/03/15 11:43 AM.
    U
    U
    No, of course community college is higher ed. However, I don't think we should consider all CC students who don't get a 4-year degree (and instead receive a certificate or AA) to be failures! That rather goes against this guy's point, does it not?

Val Offline
    No, of course community college is higher ed. However, I don't think we should consider all CC students who don't get a 4-year degree (and instead receive a certificate or AA) to be failures! That rather goes against this guy's point, does it not?

I consider the fact that so many kids enroll in college intending to get a BA, only to drop out, to be a monumental failure of our education system (and our society at large). This, I believe, was also video guy's point: kids need to know what their options are, many don't, and they drop out (in debt).

You said:

However, it sounded like it said that "2/3 of high school graduates enroll in higher education right after high school" followed by and "only a quarter of those that enroll will finish a bachelor's degree." This is a misleading way to present the facts (for one thing, many of "those who enroll" have no intention of receiving a BACHELOR'S degree) and I am instantly annoyed by anyone who would do it this way. The statistic of about 50-60% of students graduating in 6 years from 4-year colleges is widely known in education circles. To cut this to 25% is dishonest. (He might say "Well, I didn't mean 4-year colleges" but when you say "bachelor's degree"...Say what you mean and be accurate...)

It sounds to me like you were excluding CC students.

If people in education circles quote the 60% figure, they're the ones being dishonest. You can't ignore community college students --- an overwhelming majority of whom, in contrast to your claim, start out intending to get a BA.

This instantly annoys me because I see it as a way of sweeping the truth under the rug, and ignoring inconvenient truths about our education system is something I perceive as being a big problem among educators.

U
    U
    They quote the 60% figure about students intending to get a bachelor's and starting at an institution that grants them.

I think it's questionable to include CC students who said they wanted a 4-year degree when talking about the drop-out rate. I would never include a CC student who obtained a AA degree or certificate but who said they wanted, but did not yet have, a BA in drop-out stats. Would you?

U
    U
    I consider the fact that so many kids enroll in college intending to get a BA, only to drop out, to be a monumental failure of our education system (and our society at large). This, I believe, was also video guy's point: kids need to know what their options are, many don't, and they drop out (in debt).

BTW, I actually don't disagree with any of this. In fact, I agree with it. It just really, really bothers me when people overstate their case or play ring-around-the-rosy to make a mnore dramatic point.

Val Offline
    I would never include a CC student who obtained a AA degree or certificate but who said they wanted, but did not yet have, a BA in drop-out stats. Would you?

Of course I would if they set a BA as a goal and didn't reach it 6 years later (remember, 81% of incoming CC students said they wanted to get a BA).

Finishing your sophomore year at a 4-year-college is the rough equivalent of an AA. By your logic, would you then not count students dropping out in their junior or senior years?

And either way, many or most CC students saying that they want a BA end up not even getting an AA. That same site I linked to said that only 39% of students entering higher ed get an AA or a BA in 6 years.

Throwing in the "getting an AA" thing just muddies the water anyway. The point is this: fewer than 20% of students who enter higher ed end up with a BA. Fewer than 40% end up with an AA. This is bad, and the students are not the only ones who are responsible for the problem.

Last edited by Val; 06/03/15 12:42 PM. Reason: Added "not"
    Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM