Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    ... associate scrapheap... marked dead ones (they don't know they are already dead) at the law firm I used to work.
    dead man walking

Anecdotally, in your observation, does this happen equally for ivy grads as for others?

Originally Posted by indigo
    Nobody wants to be trapped in the prisonhouse of the middle class.
    What better way to get there, than college loan debt? wink

The middle-class used to frequently be termed "upwardly mobile middle class".

But if you can get into one of the magic institutions, you can potentially get the Golden Ticket and possibly rise into the 1% with the beautiful people.

U
    U
    My prisonhouse has teevee and hi-speed Internets, so I'm good.

... associate scrapheap... marked dead ones (they don't know they are already dead) at the law firm I used to work.
    dead man walking

Anecdotally, in your observation, does this happen equally for ivy grads as for others?

This is *very* law firm specific, so it does not transfer to other law firms or the legal industry generally.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    dead man walking

This is *very* law firm specific, so it does not transfer to other law firms or the legal industry generally.
    Work hard, play hard: I'm familiar with a large firm which seemed to operate in a similar manner; however the competition did not end when an individual would choose to leave the up-or-out organization, forsaking the stress/prestige for a better quality of life. Insiders learned that if they ever left the firm they'd be wise to avoid the "alumni" get-togethers of former associates, hosted by that firm. These functions were often hosted when business was slow at the firm. Enough information could be gathered from colleagues and former co-workers during casual conversation at "alumni" gatherings, for the firm to subsequently make sales calls which seemed anything but "cold calls"... with the end-goal being a bit of cannibalizing to establish new business within the institutions at which the past associates of the firm had continued their careers.

Outcomes did not seem to vary by pedigree of an individual's degree-granting institution, but rather by the individual's ratio of listening to speaking. There is an old saying, "We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak" (attributed to Greek philosopher Epictetus).

B
    B
    The newly released book is Where You Go Is Not Who You'll Be, by Frank Bruni.
    Frank Bruni is wrong about Ivy League schools
    by Jonathan Wai
    Quartz
    March 22, 2015
    Bruni may be right to criticize the fixation on elite schools, as there are only so many slots at these institutions—so most students (and their parents) by definition simply will not be able to gain access. But to suggest that where you go to school doesn’t matter makes little sense. For students throughout the range of colleges and universities, going to a more recognized school is likely to help open doors for their future—at least in the current US educational and occupational structure. This, of course, doesn’t mean that it is necessarily the elite school education or experience that is the driving factor. Among other things, eventual success could be attributed to individual characteristics such as brains and motivation, which unlocked the door to admission to begin with.

But among people similar to Bruni’s social and family circle, who appear fixated on which college to go to, perhaps their hunch is not wrong. This is likely because many of these people know that where they went to school opened doors for them, regardless of the quality of the education they received—and that is why they want their kids to have those same opportunities. As members of the US elite, they want their kids to at least match if not surpass them, to have an advantage in life, and to reap the enormous benefits that come with that privilege. As my research shows, if you want to become a member of the US elite, an elite school (or grad school) appears to improve your chances.
    Wai is affiliated with Duke TIP and has written about success and IQ http://tip.duke.edu/node/960 .

This "opening doors" thingy works best for law schools because law operates on the "elite credential" system.

I'm still waiting for my advantages in life and enormous benefits that comes with elitehood.

However, I have great hope that my children will be able to escape the prisonhouse of the middle class and rise to greater glory.

T
    T
    I have a friend who does freelance contract work (not law) who says her ivy branded education opens doors all the time. She would prefer her kids have a better education than is on offer there, but she fully admits to having doubts, that maybe if they went there they too would have that immediate advantage.

However, I have great hope that my children will be able to escape the prisonhouse of the middle class and rise to greater glory.

You're making me smile this morning JonLaw. And I didn't think that was going to happen.

Thanks much - Sue

U
    U
    Wai is affiliated with Duke TIP and has written about success and IQ http://tip.duke.edu/node/960

I just read this article of his:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac...amining-techs-richest-on-the-forbes-400/

What was the point of that? Can anyone tell me? Wealthy techies went to pretty good schools? Is this a deeply surprising insight? We don't have any proof about the IQs anyway at all.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM