Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 152 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #21723 07/30/08 04:47 PM
    OP Offline
    I can't find much on this on the web for some reason...but I was curious about this mental construct: the idea that numbers could have gender (or color) or maybe other characteristics.
    I personally have never had this idea, but my sister has told me that's how she thinks of numbers (with both gender and colors) and she's always just been great at mental computation as well. I thought I'd heard that this can help people organize and recall numbers...
    My ds8 just piped up the other day about certain numbers being boys or girls. I asked if he'd been talking to his aunt about it, but he said no. It seems kind of neat to me.
    Is anyone else (parents or kids) out there thinking of numbers this way?

Just curious about your thoughts or if anyone can point me to any actual research on this.

Hi Chris,
    I've heard of people associating letters and numbers with color. I may be thinking of an NPR article I heard on this once. A brief search of the web found the term synesthesia . You might try this link and see if it helps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

Grapheme → color synesthesia
    Main article: Grapheme-color synesthesia

How someone with synesthesia might perceive certain letters and numbers.

Another example of real synaesthesia for letters and numbers.
    In one of the most common forms of synesthesia, grapheme → color synesthesia, individual letters of the alphabet and numbers (collectively referred to as graphemes), are "shaded" or "tinged" with a color. While synesthetes do not, in general, report the same colors for all letters and numbers, studies of large numbers of synesthetes find that there are some commonalities across letters (e.g., A is likely to be red).[3][5]
    A grapheme → color synesthete reports, "I often associate letters and numbers with colors. Every digit and every letter has a color associated with it in my head. Sometimes, when letters are written boldly on a piece of paper, they will briefly appear to be that color if I'm not focusing on it. Some examples: 'S' is red, 'H' is orange, 'C' is yellow, 'J' is yellow-green, 'G' is green, 'E' is blue, 'X' is purple, 'I' is pale yellow, '2' is tan, '1' is white. If I write SHCJGEX it registers as a rainbow when I read over it, as does ABCPDEF."[13]

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    ebeth #21726 07/30/08 05:05 PM
    Okay... I found a web site that is not too terribly helpful, but here it is:

http://random-acts-of-sanity.blogspot.com/2007/03/number-gender.html

I'll keep looking to see if I can find anything else.
    (Can you tell that sifting through large masses of data is one of my joys in life!)

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    ebeth #21728 07/30/08 05:18 PM
    Okay... Here is a slightly more scientific resource.

http://www.mathematicalbrain.com/pdf/2006SAGIVETAL.PDF

Abstract
    This study compares the tendency for numerals to elicit spontaneous perceptions of colour or taste (synaesthesia) with the tendency to visualise numbers as occupying particular visuo-spatial configurations (number forms). The prevalence of number forms was found to be significantly higher in synaesthetes experiencing colour compared both to synaesthetes experiencing taste and to control participants lacking any synaesthetic experience. This suggests that the presence of synaesthetic colour sensations enhances the tendency to explicitly represent numbers in a visuo-spatial format although the two symptoms may nevertheless be logically independent (i.e. it is possible to have number forms without colour, and coloured numbers without forms). Number forms are equally common in men and women, unlike previous reports of synaesthesia that have suggested a strong female bias. Individuals who possess a number form are also likely to possess visuo-spatial forms for other ordinal sequences (e.g. days, months, letters) which suggests that it is the ordinal nature of numbers rather than numerical quantity that gives rise to this particular mode of representation. Finally, we also describe some consequences of number forms for performance in a number comparison task.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    ebeth #21731 07/30/08 05:35 PM
    My friend says that 4 is redish, 2s are brown, and 8s are green. Those are the only numbers that have color.

ebeth #21732 07/30/08 05:41 PM
    M
    M
    I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but both DS6 and I think of numbers in a rather purplish/gray color for the whole number and then when we're working with a particular digit it lights up yellow in our minds. One of the coolest teaching moments I've ever had with him was when I was teaching him about the number line and told him to close his eyes and imagine the numbers counting from one to the next and he says "Oh COOL!" and I asked him what he saw, he said "When I think of the number it lights up!" I hadn't told him but that's exactly how I see numbers, too. As far as mental math, he and I both have a "base", mine is 10, his is 2, no matter the problem I always look for a way to work with 10 he always looks for how to divide it by 2.

I didn't know there was any research about it, that's really interesting!

ebeth #21733 07/30/08 05:42 PM
    Here is the NPR article that I remember. It is about people who associate musical notes with color. Many famous composers actually "see" the music that they compose.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4602748

Here is another interesting one:
    http://psyche.cs.monash.edu.au/v2/psyche-2-10-cytowic.html

And as far as numbers having gender, this is the only thing I can find. But it talks about numbers as having personalities as well as genders (Ordinal linguistic personification):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinal_linguistic_personification

I'm not quite sure that is what you are talking about, though. Anyone else want to chime in here? I feel like I'm having an interesting conversation with myself!

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Both my kids differentiate numbers by gender, but I think it is because you recognize and conjugate genders differently in my native language, which we speak at home.

ebeth #21736 07/30/08 05:46 PM
    Q
    Q
    ebeth, I feel I've met my researching partner, lol! I love it!

I'm happiest when surrounded by large amounts of data. Doesn't matter what kind of data. Just data.

Glad to find another info junkie, Questions!! grin

(I'm happy to see other voices chiming in! I was beginning to get self-conscious here!)

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM