Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 84 of 102 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 101 102
    C
    C
    the decorative painting on your mother's day gift has both π and τ in the design.... (DS is almost 9)

Your not-quite-16yo forgets to print an important portion of an assignment (thereby losing the points for it in one of her classes, and earning a B rather than an A on something which is a significant portion of the class grade). Oh, and then attempts to lie to us about the discovery of this particular problem (she leaves paper everywhere and I saw the cover sheet with the remark on it that it was MISSING)... eek and mad

AND

The following day, that same child learns that the "scary" professor (the one that terrifies the other majors with her intensity and-- em-- sharpness-- but has a mutual fanclub thing going on with my DD) has hand-picked her to be assistant director next fall (when she will be just 16yo) in one of the university's 3 major productions for the next year. For a VERY well-known Shakespeare play. Because she has "vision" and a big-picture understanding in a way that most undergraduates do not, apparently. Why yes, this professor does know about Hamlet, the musical tragi-comedy. grin

I can't decide if we should treat her as though she is four.... or twenty-four. Asynchrony, they name is {Insert DD Name Here}.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Your not-quite-16yo forgets to print an important portion of an assignment (thereby losing the points for it in one of her classes, and earning a B rather than an A on something which is a significant portion of the class grade). Oh, and then attempts to lie to us about the discovery of this particular problem (she leaves paper everywhere and I saw the cover sheet with the remark on it that it was MISSING)... eek and mad

AND

The following day, that same child learns that the "scary" professor (the one that terrifies the other majors with her intensity and-- em-- sharpness-- but has a mutual fanclub thing going on with my DD) has hand-picked her to be assistant director next fall (when she will be just 16yo) in one of the university's 3 major productions for the next year. For a VERY well-known Shakespeare play. Because she has "vision" and a big-picture understanding in a way that most undergraduates do not, apparently. Why yes, this professor does know about Hamlet, the musical tragi-comedy. grin

I can't decide if we should treat her as though she is four.... or twenty-four. Asynchrony, they name is {Insert DD Name Here}.

Awesome! Good for your dd--what an experience that will be!

L
    L
    The other day, when saying goodbye to our friends, my DS5 exclaimed, "there are four of us, so we can give one another twenty-four different combinations of hugs!"

S
    S
    Leo's-- Oh, wow!

And HK--how frustrating and exciting!

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    When reprimanded for telling me to "shut up" this morning (thank you, DH, for not reading our expurgated version of "Berenstain Bears get in a Fight"), DS3.5 says, "I'm sorry Mama. I think my blood sugar is low and I need to eat."

And then there was the post-11:00pm bedtime debate DH and DS had last night about the line "rain rain, go away, come again some other day" from a children's song, but with time replacing rain. (I'll admit that we have a problem of bedtime obstinacy, which we've solved, for now, by anthropomorphising time and casting it as a villain that tries to trick you into letting it sneak away with opportunities for fun by wasting your life dawdling. So far, so good.) DS was adamant that the sudden absence of time in the new version of the song, and its return after a sufficiently long interval that would have otherwise elapsed absent time's ceasing to exist, required the start of a new day. DH kissed DS goodnight and said, "tomorrow I'm going to introduce you to a man named Mr. Einstein who might have a few things to say about time." DS quips, "Another day, eh?" {Facepalm}

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    The following day, that same child learns that the "scary" professor (the one that terrifies the other majors with her intensity and-- em-- sharpness-- but has a mutual fanclub thing going on with my DD) has hand-picked her to be assistant director next fall (when she will be just 16yo) in one of the university's 3 major productions for the next year. For a VERY well-known Shakespeare play. Because she has "vision" and a big-picture understanding in a way that most undergraduates do not, apparently.

This isn't very surprising. I often got the impression reading your posts that your DD's heart was in theater.

M
    M
    When your 5 year old emergent reader is sitting next to you classifying her animal trading cards into various subgroups for fun leans over and says, so did you just type **************? And cracks up laughing, she is soooo busted. I'm a 80 wpm typist and had a toddler obscuring some of her view. She's now watching Sesame Street online while I change all our passwords.

A
    A
    So we're eating lunch in a restaurant with our 15 yo twins, having an long and animated discussion about possible causes of the unusual seasonal cycles in Westeros (Game of Thrones). The discussion gets a bit heated when it digressed into the effect of the moon on the tilt of the earth's axis.

As we were leaving the restaurant, a woman eating by herself two tables down pulled me aside and said, "I overheard your conversation and I am a retired gifted teacher -- I sure hope those kids go to a good school!"

Last edited by amylou; 05/30/15 12:58 PM.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I had a reality check on how non-normative our family's experience was today when I realized DS3.5's association with the name Nemo isn't an animated fish, but rather the captain of the Nautilis from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Aside/tip: This book is great read-aloud fodder for this age!

Aside 2: I'm grateful that DS enjoys good literature. Given the volume of books read each day, it's good for my sanity that our material be writing I enjoy, too! smile He's been begging to read the original Frankenstein, but I think we'll have to hold off there for now.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 84 of 102 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM