Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #217100 05/28/15 12:13 PM
    M
    Mhawley Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    So the day is finally here. DS7 was recommended for testing which indicated the need for a GIEP. Our meeting is next week, but I am looking for goal ideas that others have used for GIEP or similar plans. His full scale IQ on the WISC-V was 147; Verbal Comprehension 133 (99%); Visual Spatial 141 (99.7%); Fluid Reasoning 144 (99.8%); Working Memory 146 (99.9%) and Processing Speed 114 (82%). He has strong reading, written expression, science, math and spelling skills. The only educational area that he tends to fall in line with peers is handwriting....and table manners (LOL). I'm sure the school will have their own ideas about next steps and GIEP goals, but I've been tossing around some of my own ideas and am interested in hearing what has worked well for others. The school is open to new ideas, flexible, has strong computer/tech options and is willing to subject accelerate as needed. Dad and myself are not looking at full grade acceleration at this point as differentiation has been successful in first grade and DS would be devastated if we broke up his current peer group. Excited to hear what has worked for others and arrive prepared for developing strong goals for second grade.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I assume you have this:

http://www.psea.org/uploadedFiles/P...lets/Booklets_Summaries/ParentsGuide.pdf

and have checked out the resources on this page:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta...n_pa_-_frequently_asked_questions/509501

This is the sample GIEP development guide distributed by the PA DOE:

http://www.millville.k12.pa.us/millville/Special%20Education/Special%20Education%20Services/Sample%20Gifted%20individualized%20Education%20Plan%20%28GIEP%29%20Sample.pdf

As an overall framework, consider his right to make adequate yearly progress. For an NT kid, we expect a year's (grade-level's) growth in a year's time. For a child with learning impairments, we expect either remediation to catch up to age peers, or slow and steady growth at his/her personal rate of learning. Similarly, a GT child has a right to a year OF HIS growth in a year's time. This may or may not be one grade-level worth of progress--1.5, 2, or more grade-levels-worth might be appropriate expectations.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    R
    R
    Hello Mhawley. My DS6 has numbers very similar to your DS7 and we are also in PA. I would greatly appreciate if you could share how this worked out for you? We are new to all of this and it's a bit daunting. Thank you!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM