Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Pemberley #217166 05/29/15 06:36 AM
    L
    L
    Pocket edition gets the most play here because it's more portable. There are no naturally mined or dropped nether items, but you can get them in the creative mode menus. The bigger problem is no redstone circuits. All the in-game redstone logic is just missing. My kids play together all the time; anyone on the same wi-fi can join games. There are no cross-town or international minecraft playdates on pocket edition, though.

There are missing cool features, yes, but if she played it on an iPad then pocket edition is what she played. It's pricey for an app game, but it's easily worth five of every other game I've seen. It's not a lot of money to have wasted if she later decides she wants to upgrade to the full PC game.

Pemberley #217168 05/29/15 06:51 AM
    T
    T
    No redstone!!!!?? Travesty! wink

I refuse to farm my own chickens.

Platypus101 #217172 05/29/15 07:36 AM
    Originally Posted by MichelleC
    I say it's totally worth it - but of course, easy to say, since DH is the tech support around here!

DD10's user accounts on our machines have parental controls that prevent her from unknowingly installing malware. She can download and install texture packs and custom maps, since those are not executable, and after I've given her some guidance, she knows how to do these with minimal help. But I drew a line in the sand on mods, because a bad mod can break the client, a client software update can break the mod, mods may not play well with each other, and the last thing I want to do after spending all day working on computers is come home and work on computers. She has been told that she can play with mods when she's ready to provide her own tech support. Otherwise, if she wants a modded experience, she'll have to find a server and play it there.

DD's response: "I WANT TO LEARN COMPUTERS!!"

;-)

Pemberley #217174 05/29/15 08:05 AM
    B
    B
    I have found that mods are a great bribe. Clean your room, earn a mod. That type of thing.

My kids (ages 8 and 9) have been playing since preschool, are pretty hardcore and very particular, I think they would grumble about a pocket version or console version.

Tallulah #217176 05/29/15 08:20 AM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    No redstone!!!!?? Travesty! wink

Actually, I confess I didn't even realize this was missing. Fatal flaw, indeed. As far as DS is concerned, there is no life without redstone - it's what allows all the really cool stuff with moving parts (circuits, pistons, fireworks, and... and... whatever it is he does that keeps him so excited all the time).

DD, on the other hand, is a casual user at most, and quite happy with the pocket edition, mostly using it like on-line lego really.

Pemberley #217178 05/29/15 08:34 AM
    L
    L
    Our mod rule is, make your own. It could be broken but it won't be malware. And they have to code. smile

Dude #217179 05/29/15 08:37 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Dude
    She has been told that she can play with mods when she's ready to provide her own tech support. Otherwise, if she wants a modded experience, she'll have to find a server and play it there.

;-)

That's how it is here too, but our kids are now fully into modding for themselves. We are enjoying the Youth Digital Mod Design 1 course, for which there is currently a Groupon that makes the price more reasonable.

DeeDee #217194 05/29/15 10:20 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Originally Posted by Dude
    She has been told that she can play with mods when she's ready to provide her own tech support. Otherwise, if she wants a modded experience, she'll have to find a server and play it there.

;-)

That's how it is here too, but our kids are now fully into modding for themselves. We are enjoying the Youth Digital Mod Design 1 course, for which there is currently a Groupon that makes the price more reasonable.

Just curious--can two kids use the same course, or do you need to buy 2 courses, doubling the cost?

Pemberley #217196 05/29/15 10:29 AM
    L
    L
    Everyone can watch the instructional videos and make their own mod for learning in, but the class is structured around challenges/quizzes that are for each individual registered student. So two kids could learn together, but two subscriptions would be better if it's affordable to you.

ljoy #217198 05/29/15 10:37 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by ljoy
    Everyone can watch the instructional videos and make their own mod for learning in, but the class is structured around challenges/quizzes that are for each individual registered student. So two kids could learn together, but two subscriptions would be better if it's affordable to you.

Ok, thanks. I'm debating getting one subscription to try, and if they fight over it and both want to do it alone, then we could add another one.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM