Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Good job!

We've done something along the same lines, back when we had kids in B&M schools. I requested curriculum compacting for a couple of years, and when we finally got it, the teacher took it upon herself to offer it to a couple of other students as well.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    T
    T
    I don't have to.

I live in one of those areas that it is possible that at least 30% of kids in a class is at least mildly gifted. I also work with people with Ph.D in fields that is highly quantitative. So I assume most of my friends' kids are at least MG until proven otherwise.

Now, PG or EG is another matter. Those are still rare. But they all have parents who are super aware, I have yet to run into a case that I feel the need to point it out.

A
    A
    I have a few friends who have very gifted kids - who also go through life thinking that school would magically provide 100% of the academic needs of their kids if they bought houses in the best local school districts. These people always tell me that school is "very easy" for their kids and that is because their kids are "very smart". I convinced one of them to finally go to their district and ask about acceleration and differentiation in the 4th grade. They did not understand why anything more than school work was needed and when I convinced their dad that the child should not be bored in class, his mother asked me what the big rush was to finish higher grade level work. They were told that the teachers would test him to see if he required enrichment. I will follow up with them in the summer to see if the testing panned out. This kid is atleast HG+ in my opinion and he has intuitively learned math to a high level - he was explaining the concept of exponential decay as applied to radioactivity from alien mutant attacks at age 8. And I also convinced his parents to send him to the local Math Circle and I am told that he enjoys it hugely.

I also convinced my other friend whose kid is extraordinarily musical and composes a lot of music that Music Theory and Composition classes are a great opportunity to develop his skills. He finds the classes very challenging and has found a mentor through the class who helps him develop his composition skills to a high level.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Thomas Percy
    I don't have to.

I live in one of those areas that it is possible that at least 30% of kids in a class is at least mildly gifted. I also work with people with Ph.D in fields that is highly quantitative. So I assume most of my friends' kids are at least MG until proven otherwise.

Now, PG or EG is another matter. Those are still rare. But they all have parents who are super aware, I have yet to run into a case that I feel the need to point it out.

Very good point. I think it does indeed depend on where one is. Our area is very similar in that parents are highly educated (with a very high percentage holding advanced degrees), schools are considered among the best in the state, and many students would qualify for GT programs. We actually don't have any GT program and one of the reasons is that too many kids would qualify so it makes sense to use an alternative strategy which is for each and every teacher to offer in-classroom differentiation. But the result is pretty poor for a variety of reasons.

It also depends on the culture of each community. I hardly ever hear local parents mention the g word. We do talk a lot about how to "challenge" the kids and let them "develop their full potential" and "learn at their pace".

A
    A
    In our old area, like Thomas Percy, was one of those enclaves of highly intelligent and ambitious people who really didn't need to be told. It is actually fascinating to look back and realize how many times some kid DD really clicked with turned up later in a gifted activity.

But really, it's like Fight Club: the first rule of parenting a gifted child is you don't talk about parenting a gifted child. Unless, you know, somebody else does first.

C
    C
    Love the fight club analogy and totally agree. I have brought it up on a couple occsasions but I don't start with gifted. I do often share that school is a disaster for DS when I'm around other parents that I feel will understand the code and see if they pick up on it. DS often sticks out so knowing him most people quickly understand how school isn't exactly a great fit.

Among homeschoolers the code is "Homeschooling gives her the chance to really pursue her areas of interest."

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM