Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 32 of 35 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 35
    Here is what the website says about what is needed for a child to be qualified: (refers to the test scores)
    Be administered when the applicant was at least 4 years old; AND
    Meet or exceed the score guidelines listed; AND
    Include an official, complete report with all pages attached. Reports for individually administered tests often include the tester’s observations, tests administered, test scores, explanation of findings, and recommendations.

If your child meets the score guideline and your application is complete, it seems like that is all they are looking for. When we submitted our DD's scores, we included 2 pieces of work that showed her working above grade level as well as her qualifying scores because we were nervous about her getting accepted, but since her scores were high enough they didn't really look at the work we sent in too.

L
    L
    We got the acceptance email yesterday smile

Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    Originally Posted by lmb123
    After much procrastination, we turned in DS application this month. I'm wondering if anyone knows - can a child be turned down for membership if they have met the minimum scores and the test is valid (full report, qualified professional, within the timeline)? Also, if the committee requires additional information, will that be asked during the month or at the end of the review period (pushing the decision to the following month)? I keep checking my email in case there are more questions. I am not getting an awful lot done this month smile

I believe that an applicant probably can be turned down for membership even if they meet the minimum but that it would be increasing unlikely the further their scores are from the minimum. Why else would it be a minimum and why would Davidson not offer automatic acceptances otherwise? However, I think that it is far more likely that Davidson will request work product samples to bolster/supplement a single set of qualifying test scores than outright reject applicants, even if they are just at the minimum. It would not make sense for you to get any "additional information" request from Davidson until around the time that they issue decisions (near end of month) since the request itself is a decision arrived after reviewing your application. Since the committee would then have to review all your supplementary information in view of your existing application, you will unlikely get a final decision until the next round of decisions. I think that is especially true now since the membership has expanded so much just in the years (~ 4-5) since my first DYS joined.

Disclaimer: Although I have two kids who are DYS members, I am really applying common sense more than anything. However, I am not employed by Davidson or qualified to speak for them so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Good luck and try to forget about the whole thing until the end of June! By the way, both of my DYS received their acceptance emails about five days before the end of the month, around the 25th/26th, but you should hear by the last day certainly.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by lmb123
    We got the acceptance email yesterday smile

Congratulations! smile

Q
    Q
    Congratulations!

It's funny but I did have a fleeting thought as I was posting that you could have submitted your application on the 1st of the month! I think I submitted each kid's application near/at the end of the month and thought I was cutting it close!

Last edited by Quantum2003; 05/27/16 04:01 PM.
    S
    S
    OK, there's my answer--it seems (I admit I'm inferring) that lmb123 submitted a full test report, period, and got in. That is a relief. As for the other helpful answers--I guess I'm having a bit of trouble realizing that yes, the application might be just that simple. Wow. That's great!

Just got finished with a big deadline. I can get on the application after the long weekend is over. Wish me luck all!

S
    S
    Ok, a new question, about the eight open-ended questions the parents have to answer.

When Team Davidson asks, 'Please describe your child's developmental milestones:', what sorts of milestones are they seeking--how are they defining 'milestone'? And how many should I give them?

A
    A
    I put in things like when my DS started recognizing all the alphabets, when he started reading, when he memorized all states and capitols, etc. I think they are looking for milestones that you see are advanced for your DC's age.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by Skepchick
    OK, there's my answer--it seems (I admit I'm inferring) that lmb123 submitted a full test report, period, and got in. That is a relief. As for the other helpful answers--I guess I'm having a bit of trouble realizing that yes, the application might be just that simple. Wow. That's great!

Just got finished with a big deadline. I can get on the application after the long weekend is over. Wish me luck all!

I'm not sure what you mean. We filled out the whole application, had a nominator and submitted a full report with qualifying scores. In other words, we fulfilled all the requirements for eligibility. Are you referring to submitting samples of work? Since DS had a qualifying score we did not feel it was necessary.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by Skepchick
    Ok, a new question, about the eight open-ended questions the parents have to answer.

When Team Davidson asks, 'Please describe your child's developmental milestones:', what sorts of milestones are they seeking--how are they defining 'milestone'? And how many should I give them?

We broke ours down into 4 development groups (physical, social emotional, cognitive, language communication) and provided 4-6 examples that seemed relevant under each category.

S
    S
    Ok, that is a relief. I have things along those lines that I can cite.

New question. When Team Davidson asks:

Please describe an incident that demonstrates your child’s need to explore subjects in surprising depth:

What do they mean by "surprising depth"? What's a good example of
    "surprising depth"?

Page 32 of 35 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 35

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM