Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
    75west #217019 05/27/15 12:09 PM
    Originally Posted by cdfox
    1. "Yet perhaps the most important difference between the Nordic countries and countries such as the UK is the ethos of education as a civil right and a public service rather than a commodity. Degrees are not seen as commodities to be exchanged in the marketplace."

That's just silly.

As the UK and other similar countries like the USA massively invest in the assets that are higher education degrees, ultimately the countries with the most assets will have enough financial value to simply purchase the Nordic countries.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I'm glad to hear from so many who went to state schools and were successful. I work in a science field with close ties to the local uni and most of the faculty in that department went to non-ivy schools for their terminal degrees. At other institutions I have been surrounded by ivy league level terminal degree holders. In my field what counts for admission to graduate school is grades, research experience, publications (the number of undergrads publishing is amazing) and the institution they attended. Students who went to Community College and have lower grades after transferring are looked at more harshly, as are students with good grades from places known to have grade inflation. At the junior faculty level it is all about who you trained with, your publication record, and your funding situation (grant in hand =job). Thus I conclude that these things vary by institution, field, and politics (the university kind, not the national kind).

On another note, this seems reminiscent of "grooming" your DC for college where you strive to guess what will impress (grades, test scores, letters of rec, working or volunteering in DC's intended field), each field will have admission criteria for the next level. The problem, IMO, with the big step up to the real world is balancing what you can help your DC achieve with what will actually help them move into the real world. In that regard it seems just like the college admissions game. Should they take piano, violin, or penny whistle (points for quirkiness)? How will this impact their future activity level and achievements? (competitions? orchestra? youth symphony? ) Should they work during undergrad? Will it hurt their grades, ability to volunteer, decrease time spent in the computer lab/writing an app/learning about the next big thing? For each decision, there is a balance between the investment of time and money vs. benefit and long term consequences.

For DD's undergraduate degree the calculation is not simple or straight forward, but it is clear: Investment (lots of money vs. debt free) + time (equivalent) = benefit (prestige+ degree vs. accomplishments + degree)

Yes, I'm throwing in accomplishments on one term because I think DD will be able to volunteer and maybe work in her field without worrying about pay levels since she will not be racking up debt.

Well-stated, CP!

Jon:

Like a sort of Midnight-Sun-meets-Club-Med?

I thought the goal was to purchase Boardwalk and Park Place, thereby having the option to build hotels. Does Finland have hotels?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Here is a link to a 2013 article about the University of Washington's tuition increases over the last 10 years at a rate 5 times that of inflation.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/uw-tuition-whatrsquos-behind-the-rising-costs/

75west #217025 05/27/15 01:13 PM
    I
    I
    "Free" university tuition was discussed at some length in a thread about a year ago.

So, individual human beings should not have to pay for it."
    Of course human beings are paying for it; Being "free" at point of service merely transfers the costs to other human beings.

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Well-stated, CP!

Jon:

I thought the goal was to purchase Boardwalk and Park Place, thereby having the option to build hotels. Does Finland have hotels?

No, but if you buy four houses, you can trade them for a hostel.

Tiny houses? Or is there a minimum square footage requirement? Must they be owned outright? grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Well-stated, CP!

Jon:

Who cares if they have hotels?

The important thing is that the the sheer overwhelming financial power present in higher education diplomas can buy entire Nordic countries.

*That* is reason enough for every citizen to take out $1,000,000 in student loans and load up on as many degrees as possible.

Anyway, I'm certain that they have hotels. And ice. And hotels made of ice. That we can buy with our college educations. And live in. Even if they are made of ice.

Last edited by JonLaw; 05/27/15 05:11 PM. Reason: I think this thread is proof that we need to knock some zeros off of our currency.
    Chile's education system is the most expensive in the world due to Pinochet; not the US as others may think (http://www.attn.com/stories/836/chile-makes-college-tuition-free).

Perhaps Chilean students are having the last laugh here because the students protested for the tuition free. It's worst than the US with student debt.

Last I looked, Chile is not a Nordic country and maybe offers another example to follow. Then again, does American exceptionalism rule here?

N
    NGR Offline
    N
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the book Excellent Sheep by William Deresiewicz. It is a must read for anybody making this important decision (state school vs elite), especially for gifted students who have more depth and creativity than most.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM