Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 100 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 249 of 268 1 2 247 248 249 250 251 267 268
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Lily1972
    Our 8.5 year old DS got 660 at SAT math just this month. That's beating +/- 88% high school students. We are thrilled... but he was scoring above 700 at home so we were hoping for SET at JHU and will not get it. Still super proud of him for being able to take such a long and mature and rapid test. We asked him to sit through the English parts, which he did, and just focus on math. He came out of the testing room happy, relaxed, content, as if he had just had a time of his life. Now, we just need to make sure that his math teacher in 4th grade is content, as he is not following her instructions and provides answers without explanations of how he got there (4th grade level).

Congratulations - you have a very talented child!

Thank you kindly ashley.

C
    C
    DD11 just received test scores from the JH CTY SCAT test. Based on their published results from last year, her math score would have been 2nd highest of the 1800+ girls tested, and top 50 of all 4000-ish of both sexes. She had been around 80th percentile in previous gifted tests, but has accelerated in math over the last 2 years, just now ready to start Geometry in 6th grade. (not to be overlooked - 75+%-ile on Verbal)

I need to let it sink in and see what the Davidson/JH SET programs are all about. I'm a bit concerned about her taking SATs and outscoring her 11th grade sister (also gifted, but not to the extreme).

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    So not an academic/gifted related award but figured no one would mind....DS8 received the Responsibility award from our local YMCA. He attended camp there this summer and out of over 2000 kids he was recognized (along with about 100 others) for best modeling the core values of camp - responsibility, honesty, caring and respect. It was a really nice ceremony too.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by KJP
    So not an academic/gifted related award but figured no one would mind....DS8 received the Responsibility award from our local YMCA. He attended camp there this summer and out of over 2000 kids he was recognized (along with about 100 others) for best modeling the core values of camp - responsibility, honesty, caring and respect. It was a really nice ceremony too.

That's fantastic!

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Cranberry
    DD11 just received test scores from the JH CTY SCAT test. Based on their published results from last year, her math score would have been 2nd highest of the 1800+ girls tested, and top 50 of all 4000-ish of both sexes. She had been around 80th percentile in previous gifted tests, but has accelerated in math over the last 2 years, just now ready to start Geometry in 6th grade. (not to be overlooked - 75+%-ile on Verbal)

I need to let it sink in and see what the Davidson/JH SET programs are all about. I'm a bit concerned about her taking SATs and outscoring her 11th grade sister (also gifted, but not to the extreme).

Wow! Seems giving her the chance to accelerate in math is working well!

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    A little reassurance that I'm raising a decent person...

DS8's friend is being treated for leukemia. His friend's mom asked if DS could go with them to the children's hospital tomorrow. His friend is having a difficult procedure and the mom thought having DS there might make it easier for her son.

I can't imagine how stressful tomorrow will be for the mom. I am very proud that she thinks having my son along will make the day better.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by KJP
    A His friend is having a difficult procedure and the mom thought having DS there might make it easier for her son.I am very proud that she thinks having my son along will make the day better.

I'm incredibly impressed that your son, at age 8, would be considered mature enough to handle a situation like that and be a help, not a hindrance. Wow, that says a lot about the kind of person you are raising! Kudos to both of you, and good luck to your son tomorrow, as well as his friend and friend's family.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Thanks momtofour, the mom is one of DS's former teachers so she knows him really well. He must have talked to her last week at school about what to expect today because this morning he seemed to have a good idea of what would be going on. I think for the most part his role today is to hang out in a really fun rec room with his friend before and after the procedure and be nice. From the pics the mom has sent me so far, the boys seem to be doing well : )

An aside on these kids - in K, DS was really into the immune system and would talk to his friends about various white blood cells all the time. When his friend was diagnosed, his mom said it was really comforting for her son to already know some of terminology he picked up from DS.

T
    T
    KJP, that is a wonderful story. Fingers crossed for his friend. Just be aware that your own kid may all of a sudden fall apart being afraid for his friend...a little (or too much, in this case) knowledge can be a dangerous thing for a very aware and sensitive kid. Not to say he should not help out in this way, just be aware that signs of stress may show up.

Page 249 of 268 1 2 247 248 249 250 251 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM