Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    A
    To answer the original question, yes, I'd totally have him tested. You'll just drive yourself batty wondering, if you don't. But make sure you find a tester who has experience with highly gifted children. FWIW, though, keep in mind that test scores at age 5 might or might not be totally solid. My DD's tests around age 5 were firmly in the moderately gifted range even though she was a little uncooperative, which seemed totally satisfactory at the time. Her scores at 8 were considerably higher and explained a lot about her hyperachivement.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by dynasty
    I do not consider myself gifted....I took an IQ test in my early 20's that put me into the low 130's (WISC-IV)....The score puts me around the 98 percentile which is about where I would have placed myself- not a level I would consider "gifted".
    Just so you know, a score in the low 130s on the WISC-IV is considered to be in the gifted / moderately gifted range. Here is a good reference from the Hoagies site that explains the terms a bit.

D
    dynasty Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Sorry for the thread necro, but I finally have something new to add here (had him tested in the WISC-V today). When I made the original post on here, my son was finishing up kindergarten and had not yet started first grade. In the past 15 months, he's finished first grade at the local public school and had a great time with it and made a lot of friends. Even though we knew that he would be under-challenged on certain tasks, it still felt meaningful to have him there in developing social skills and ability to work in a classroom structure.

Throughout the year, I continued to supplement his learning by teaching him math and it seems like the sky is the limit here. I will only do this about twice a week at 30-45 minute sessions and he just consumes the new material at speeds I would not expect a 7 year old to. Our most recent topic was solving a two variable, two equation system by elimination and this will be followed by the subsitution method. Reading wise, he is at about a fifth grade level, most recently completing the first two books of the Harry Potter series. In addition to more challenging reads, he also enjoys reading the Magic Treehouse series. I bought a 28 book boxed set that he finished in a few weeks.

Today I took him to get tested and apparently he did fairly well. The doc still has to send me a digital copy of the results, but from my recollection, it was an overall IQ of 147. There were 5 sub-scores (most of which I don't remember the names of), but his highest was a 151 in fluid reasoning, with three other sub-scores in the mid 140's range and a fifth score at 125. If this qualifies him for the Davidson Institute (which the doc actually mentioned) but I don't play on moving him to Nevada just to attend the school, is there still much to be gained for us looking into the institute? I haven't looked into what the Institute has the offer outside of its actual campus, but seems like there's a lot?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

M
    M
    Dynasty, I had to respond because it sounds like we have similar little boys. My DS7 received very similar scores when we tested him this spring (he'll start second grade in a few weeks). Math is his strongest area too, although I've only introduced him to 4th/5th grade material. He loves the idea of algebra though! We were just accepted into DYS and I applied mostly for the community (online probably) and the access to educational consultants that would really understand my kid. We'll probably never go to Nevada as we live on the east coast, but the other two resources were reason enough for us to apply.

D
    dynasty Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by mom2R&R
    Dynasty, I had to respond because it sounds like we have similar little boys. My DS7 received very similar scores when we tested him this spring (he'll start second grade in a few weeks). Math is his strongest area too, although I've only introduced him to 4th/5th grade material. He loves the idea of algebra though! We were just accepted into DYS and I applied mostly for the community (online probably) and the access to educational consultants that would really understand my kid. We'll probably never go to Nevada as we live on the east coast, but the other two resources were reason enough for us to apply.

Thank you for the response mom2R&R!

From what you've seen so far, what kind of access can we expect from the "educational consultants"? Is there costs associated with this?

Once DS's official digital results come in, I will most likely send in an application as well.

G
    G
    If this qualifies him for the Davidson Institute (which the doc actually mentioned) but I don't play on moving him to Nevada just to attend the school, is there still much to be gained for us looking into the institute?
    I think you're thinking of the Academy. The Institute is the organization that supports a variety of programs, one of which is the Academy in NV. One of the other major programs it supports is the Young Scholars program, which you should (in my opinion) most definitely apply to. It's free, you can live anywhere in the U.S., and the benefits can be really helpful. More details can be found here: http://www.davidsongifted.org/Young-Scholars

Regardless, those are really strong scores. Congratulations!

D
    dynasty Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by George C
    If this qualifies him for the Davidson Institute (which the doc actually mentioned) but I don't play on moving him to Nevada just to attend the school, is there still much to be gained for us looking into the institute?
    I think you're thinking of the Academy. The Institute is the organization that supports a variety of programs, one of which is the Academy in NV. One of the other major programs it supports is the Young Scholars program, which you should (in my opinion) most definitely apply to. It's free, you can live anywhere in the U.S., and the benefits can be really helpful. More details can be found here: http://www.davidsongifted.org/Young-Scholars

Regardless, those are really strong scores. Congratulations!

Thanks for the clarification George! I'll certainly be looking into the young scholars program.

I
    I
    I'll certainly be looking into the young scholars program.
    In addition to the great information at the link which George shared, here is an old discussion thread which may be of interest: What have you gotten from Young Scholars Program?.

D
    dynasty Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by indigo
    I'll certainly be looking into the young scholars program.
    In addition to the great information at the link which George shared, here is an old discussion thread which may be of interest: What have you gotten from Young Scholars Program?.

Appreciate the link indigo. I did get a chance to read through it, just haven't returned to the forum since my last post!

After navigating the Davidson site, I finally figured out everything I needed to do to apply my DS7 to the Young Scholars program. We received an acceptance email a few weeks ago and are now in the process of combing through all the new access we have now to the site. Seems like they have a one week summer program for 8-12 year olds called STARS that we may register for.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM