Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 258 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    I looked at the Grayson website, and it shows that they have weekend enrichment sessions planned in which any gifted students--not just those enrolled at Grayson-- can explore fun topics outside a structured classroom with intellectual peers. That might be a good opportunity, if homeschooling, to meet like-minded people without making a large financial commitment or obligating your family to travel every day. The cost for a 6-8 week session is $200-300.

http://thegraysonschool.org/enrichment-center-tgs

What is to give light must endure burning.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Marnie
    WISH I could... Find a little tribe of kids like DS that just happened to live nearby and form my own co-op. Is that so much to ask?? Gifties of NJ...where are you??
    This may be possible... you may wish to make a list of potential organizations which may be able to help point you to existing groups or possibly facilitate you making an announcement to members of their organization. Some institutions which come to mind include NAGC and your State affiliate, Mensa, and homeschool groups...

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Marnie
    I just WISH I could...I don't know. Find a little tribe of kids like DS that just happened to live nearby and form my own co-op. Is that so much to ask?? Gifties of NJ...where are you?? lol.

I suggest that you find activities for your child that attract gifted kids - some choices are chess schools, robotics clubs, programming clubs, math circles, musical ensembles. My son is involved in several of these and has been attending classes/groups with the same set of kids for a long time that they have become his peers and friends.

M
    M
    If you have it in you to homeschool, I think that is a wonderful gift for your DS but I also think it might be helpful to assess how everyone does with full-time homeschooling during the summer months.

We're going the private school route and it was DD's choice. For a child like her, that makes all the difference.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    We have one homeschool group locally that isn't explicitly Muslim or Christian in its name, and we're going to attend a drop-in tomorrow to meet the group. There's nada for gifted homeschool. I've been trying to build a network through the local gifted advocacy group, but the local interest in gifted education is limited. Good suggestion about unschoolers; I'll look into that!
    Aquinas, pm sent. :-)

M
    M
    Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in as it were. I can't speak about schooling options where you are but a major reason for us not home schooling at this point in time is for me to have a "break" with just the 2yo while dd5 is at school. I can't tell you how valuable this is for me right now (1 month in) and also for DS who really has missed out while I was catering for DD.

Is it a possibility that you enrol DS in the least worst fit for a finite time just so you can get the space you need to reassess and define DS's and rest of the family's needs? Although I agree that some harm can be done with kids being made to fit in even in a short period of time, perhaps your son can adapt an attitude of short term acceptance.

Perhaps once your little one is 3 you might feel more able to consider home schooling, perhaps by then the public school will have become a good fit, perhaps the Greyson school has opened and you have had a chance to properly evaluate. Sometimes the correct decision is no decision (for now). Hugs to you!

btw - DD (HG++?) most likely does not have peers at her school however she has already made fast friends with several older kids - at this age I think playmates may be more valuable that intellectual peers, particularly so if you are able to enrol DS in a weekly program catering to gifted kids where he can mix with others.

We chose a school with a high level of LD children with staff very comfortable to catering to a variety of learning abilities and are assessing on a term by term basis - so far so good.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM