Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    A
    Despite the limitations of these tests, I'm not aware of any other group tests that are any better at gifted identification. Some schools also use achievement tests, typically the MAP tests I think, as part of their identification process.

HID Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Appleton
    My son's district uses both the NNAT and the cogat, so that's also an option. They screen everyone in second grade with the NNAT and those who do well (they select the top 5% in the grade - in my child's school this includes scores below the top 5% nationally) are nominated for GT evaluation, which includes cogat testing. Parents/teachers can also nominate for evaluation regardless of NNAT scores. Kids can qualify with high enough NNAT or cogat scores, plus other criteria. They also identify kids as gifted in math/science (high quantitative cogat score), Language arts/social studies (high verbal score), or both (high overall).
    I like this model. Do think this works well?

A
    A
    I think it works reasonably well, though maybe they should be testing the top 10% on the NNAT with the cogat to ensure they don't miss many kids who would potentially score as gifted on the cogat. The counselor told me that they were thinking of changing the universal screening grade to third grade, which makes sense to me as I'm told these tests are more accurate in older children.

Kids can also test for GT as early as kindergarten by parent or teacher request. I think they are only given the cogat in those cases, not the NNAT. They also can only be evaluated for GT twice in elementary school. It looks like roughly half of kids in my son's school are identified before the second grade screen, maybe 40% more in the second grade and just a few more upper elementary.

I think one of the benefits of not administering the cogat to everyone is that you don't have an entire class of kids taking the test at the same time in the computer lab. When my son took it in the second grade, it was him and 3 other students. That has to be a lot less distracting.

Last edited by Appleton; 05/24/15 02:39 AM.
    HID Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The counselor told me that they were thinking of changing the universal screening grade to third grade, which makes sense to me as I'm told these tests are more accurate in older children.
    In our district they currently do universal testing in second grade with programs starting in 3rd. They are thinking about changing testing to 3rd, but us parent advocacy group leaders want to keep it at second. We already feel like that's late because kids can loose their spark even by then. My DD was utterly deflated in second grade.

A
    A
    yeah, I think it's a balance in reaching kids early enough and accuracy in identification. My son's scores went up 30 points from first grade to third grade testing. Obviously I can't prove which is more accurate, but given his abilities, I would say the third grade test is closer. I recognize that his huge leap in scores is not typical, but smaller, yet significant changes probably are common. Some kids are going to do well at any age, but I think maturity makes a difference for some kids. I don't know what to say about kids who initially test gifted and then go the other direction when tested later, but I'm sure that happens too. The format of the cogat test changes in third grade so that causes some of the differences.

We also have a two tier gifted program, "regular" GT is cluster grouping with differentiation (that we never saw any of other than spelling words) and 1.5 hours/week of pullout enrichment. There is also a highly gifted program that is a self contained magnet class for the district with acceleration and added depth of instruction. Testing for the highly gifted program is only done on current GT kids in the third grade (program starts in fourth).

HID Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yeah, some kids apparently have had trouble filling in the bubbles using the current test. Those who score close to the cut off can retest in 5th and they usually do better that time around. This problem may be alleviated, though, if switching to a computer based test.

The same test is used for identification for our HG program which unfortunately has become more of a high achiever program. I'm working on fixing that too,but that's for a different thread.

A
    A
    Our school does the computerized test so it's not just about bubbles. The child has to be mature enough to concentrate on a test for as long as it takes to complete. Older children typically have longer attention spans. Also, from what I understand, the proctor administers each question and then waits for each child who is testing to select their answer to move on to the next one. I can see how this would be distracting for some kids, especially for those who answer quickly.

From third grade on, they work through the test on their own within the specified time limit.

At any rate, I think it's good to have the option to take tests both in early and later elementary, but obviously not so much that kids are testing every year. My child took the test in first grade (parent/teacher referral - average scores, not admitted), second grade (passed the NNAT screen and nominated for additional testing - was admitted due to high quantitative score), and third grade (all GT students screened for HG program). For some reason they test all kids admitted into the HG program again in fifth grade, so he will have taken the cogat test 4 times in elementary school. At least he gets next year off.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by HID
    My school district is changing its gifted identification tests. It has been using the Raven for about the last 20 years. Two tests it is considering are the Cogat and the NNAT. (Also the WISC, but I can't see that being a realistic contender because of the cost. I am assuming it would cost a lot more because it's individually administered. Am I correct?) I was just wondering what would be some of the pros and cons for these two tests. I have the opportunity to give my input and I'd like to know what I'm talking about.
    This article is relevant, but note that the Lohman authored the CogAT.

Comparing CogAT, NNAT, and the Raven
    by David F. Lohman

HID Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I did read that. Interesting, but taken with a grain of salt.

HID Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Our school does the computerized test so it's not just about bubbles. The child has to be mature enough to concentrate on a test for as long as it takes to complete. Older children typically have longer attention spans. Also, from what I understand, the proctor administers each question and then waits for each child who is testing to select their answer to move on to the next one. I can see how this would be distracting for some kids, especially for those who answer quickly.

From third grade on, they work through the test on their own within the specified time limit.
    That's an interesting point. With any group test I suppose there would be some kind of distraction or pressure to finish when everyone else does. Individual testing would be best, but I don't see that as a possibility in my school district. We have suggested, though, that there be additional testing for those that ceiling any screening test.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM