Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by smmtvw
    Hmmm... I was thinking of the "Who can participate?" page at the CTY website. The way I read it my son has to score outstanding some other test to be able to register for the SCAT or the SAT through talent search.

I do not understand your ETA comment, but would really like to. Could I give him the test here at home proctored by me and use the scores? Is that how it works? I don't see a way to purchase it on the website I found, is there another way to get it?

Thank you for your help.

You don't need any standardized tests or other tests to be able to take the SCAT test for CTY. I simply registered my boys for the test, got the email confirmation soon after and subsequently took them to the Prometric test center to take the test. A few days later I checked their profile online and saw that they had been accepted for both math and verbal programs and could attend an award ceremony if they wanted to. After a few days afterwards CTY sent the formal paperwork.

Below is the link to register (I chose the first option to register online)
    http://cty.jhu.edu/talent/enroll/

S
    S
    Originally Posted by smmtvw
    I have looked at Art of Problem solving and if math was his passion I would probably try to swing it. They have some great stuff. But my son is a computer science kid, he does math because he knows he is expected to. He neither likes it nor dislikes it since we arranged for him to be in the right level. (He hated arithmetic and timed basic facts tests with a passion.) But when he has free time he spends it learning scratch and watching The Great Courses course on cybersecurity. The last time he was asked what he wanted to be when he grew up he told them "computer programmer." Last week if I wanted him to do something all I had to do was tie it somehow to nanotechnology and he was all in.

Thank you to both of you.

I think you have the right idea here, to tie in his love of computer programming with other topics in technology you'd like him to be exposed to. You can do the same for math, you can buy him books on Crytography and see what he thinks (there are a few for kids on Amazon). Perhaps that will make him more interested in Math, when he learns how it is related to cybersecurity.

Formal study of computer science later on requires a lot of Math.

G
    G
    The nomination stuff at CTY is more of a self-screening process. My son did not have any thing when he applied. Just checked off a box somewhere. The only thing CTY will care about is his scat score. good luck

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM