Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by George C
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Well, she worked about 40 hours during that week, and aced the semester. This feat frankly astonished my spouse and I. She was placed in the HONORS algebra I course intended for high school freshmen, and she was a nine year old 7th grader....

...She had even less time that term-- only five days. We did concede that she might need an extension on that one, so she had an extra week available.

She aced that, too...
    It occurs to me that procrastination is something that I do to make uninteresting tasks more interesting. Putting something off until the last possible minute flirts much closer to failure and generates excitement and motivation. Granted, I don't do this with course work, only rudimentary tasks. Your DD's learning abilities are waaay beyond mine. smile But I wonder if your DD has the same motivations for putting things off?

I do this All The Time. It's not wise, but it is.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Well, she worked about 40 hours during that week, and aced the semester. This feat frankly astonished my spouse and I. She was placed in the HONORS algebra I course intended for high school freshmen, and she was a nine year old 7th grader....

...She had even less time that term-- only five days. We did concede that she might need an extension on that one, so she had an extra week available.

She aced that, too...
    It occurs to me that procrastination is something that I do to make uninteresting tasks more interesting. Putting something off until the last possible minute flirts much closer to failure and generates excitement and motivation. Granted, I don't do this with course work, only rudimentary tasks. Your DD's learning abilities are waaay beyond mine. smile But I wonder if your DD has the same motivations for putting things off?

I do this All The Time. It's not wise, but it is.
    Individuals with ADHD-ish profiles do this too, probably because they require the dopamine flood to activate executive functions.

Then consider GT/ADHD...

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    The behavior is also quite common among individuals who are not ADD/ADHD, but have a genetic predisposition to addictions impacting the reward pathway that depends upon biogenic amines like dopamine.

This pretty much includes everyone in my family, btw. smile We all get a rush from procrastination-- DD more than me, and me more than my DH. In fact, I guess it also goes in proportion to LOG, at least in my own family and DH's, now that I consider extended family as well.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    The behavior is also quite common among individuals who are not ADD/ADHD, but have a genetic predisposition to addictions impacting the reward pathway that depends upon biogenic amines like dopamine.

This pretty much includes everyone in my family, btw. smile We all get a rush from procrastination-- DD more than me, and me more than my DH. In fact, I guess it also goes in proportion to LOG, at least in my own family and DH's, now that I consider extended family as well.
    ouch. Is your college kid aware of her predisposition? And inclined to steer away from hazards?

OH yes-- definitely. We've very open about all aspects of her genetic legacy. It matters, that stuff.

She is quite risk-averse, too, which really helps. She knows that "experimentation" is playing with fire in light of her ample family history.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    dynasty Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Hell of a post HK, thank you for sharing!

A strong work ethic is certainly something I want DS to have. I didn't have much of it, whereas my spouse is the complete opposite. I often rested on my laurels whereas spouse put 110% into everything she did. If DS ends up with my spouse's work ethic with an IQ that's at least a standard deviation above hers, he's going to be able to accomplish incredible things.

Thanks for the long post! You used the phrase "step function" so you're probably a bit mathy yourself! A year of algebra in 2 weeks is something I'd love to hear about. To keep you from retyping this, maybe you can link me to a thread in which you've posted this?

Is your DD15 completely independent in college right now? Or do you shuttle her each day?

You're welcome.

Yeah-- I suppose that we chalked a lot up to "enriched home environment" for a long time, too. DD started her life the child of two STEM professors, so-- yeah. Like the measured current in potential-stepped chronoamperometry, is how I think of it, actually... that's DD's "engagement/demonstration" level with new stuff. blush I don't usually share my kind of geeky/quirky thought process about this kind of thing. But this is the one place where at least a few other people inevitably know precisely what I mean with my peculiar analogies.

We eventually realized that most of our friends' kids weren't like this. Not even close to being like DD. It wasn't us, in other words-- it really was her being what she is. Because those other kids (some of them certainly moderately gifted) were being raised in highly enriched homes, too. DD was different.

Algebra in two weeks. Well. I've never actually told that story before, I don't think. It went like this-- DD was cyberschooled, and this was back in the day when assessment hard-copies were MAILED out to teachers-- and when there was only a sort of hard deadline at the very very end of the semester or school year. That's the background information.

So DD had more or less been blowing things off all term in the fall-- and the school kind of didn't press since they knew that this was in part due to the death in hospice of a family member, that we'd spent almost 6 weeks out of state, etc. etc.

So January rolls around, and I eventually get rather grumpy over the fact that she hasn't turned anything in since before October-- and sternly inform her that the deadline for all of that work is less than a week away. She cried, threw a major fit, screamed "I cannnnnnnnnn't!!!!" a few times, and then realized that I wasn't budging after I calmly told her that if that was so, then she was going to be failing the course-- her choice whether to do it with some degree of grace and a reasonable effort to stave off that outcome, or to just go splat.

Well, she worked about 40 hours during that week, and aced the semester. This feat frankly astonished my spouse and I. She was placed in the HONORS algebra I course intended for high school freshmen, and she was a nine year old 7th grader.

She kind of pulled the same stunt the NEXT semester, though-- but with a new twist. She basically blew off the material to such a degree that I knew that her exams weren't very good, but whatever-- I had a stack of them, and turned them in diligently to the main office (in person, even-- we were there for some kind of media thing that featured DD their pet Wunderkind), but then they never arrived in her teacher's mail-- really, really. He looked for them for three solid weeks-- they never showed up, and as far as I know, never have to this day.

She had thought that she was done-done-done with that class long about March, having just blown through all of the assessments (as noted, with lackluster work ethic, to put it euphemistically)-- until she found out that she needed to repeat ALL of those exams. All 8 of them, over the course of the 16 weeks. Oh, and complete a final exam that covered the entire year.

She had even less time that term-- only five days. We did concede that she might need an extension on that one, so she had an extra week available.

She aced that, too, but my goodness she was a touch resentful. Being nine (or was she ten? Nine, I think), she really didn't have a good sense that it was actually lucky for her that those exams went missing, given what I knew about their relative quality... after all, this was going onto a high school transcript.

Bear in mind that with a cyberschool, the "course" that students take covers the entire textbook, and isn't "adjustable" the way that B&M classes tend to run, too.

The following year, when she was taking all GT/Honors courses as a 10yo 8th grader, she did nothing from January through mid-March. Then polished off 87 lessons (that is, each "lesson" there is either one or two days' worth of instruction/work in a particular class, generally estimated to take students about 1-3 hours)-- in just four days. With straight A's; she was really doing the reading and the work, too-- I know. THAT is what "putting the accelerator to the floor" looks like, and it's why I say that PG kids do things that other kids simply cannot do.

As a junior (13yo), she took 3 AP classes and the rest honors, volunteered 6 hours a week as a math tutor, and spent three weeks in Europe, then missed 2 weeks due to illness-- again, with stellar grades and without even breaking a sweat. One of those classes was AP Physics.

Then as a senior, (also taking several AP classes and some dual enrollment college courses) she opted to jump into APUSH in March for the second semester-- nearly four weeks late. She made up the difference in a few days, and was privately sad that it hadn't been any more challenging than that to catch up-- she'd been hopeful that she'd have to work harder than that.

So.

To say that even with a 3y acceleration, even with GT placement, school was "insufficiently challenging" is something of an understatement.

The lesson to be learned, though, came THIS year-- when she tried the same stunt with Integral Calculus, which was an unmitigated disaster, to put it kindly. Well. She would still have passed the course, I think-- but it would not have been a grade she'd like on her transcripts. Still, it was rather impressive that she could cram 4-6 weeks' worth of a second quarter of calculus at the honors collegiate level into her brain at a mastery level in about 86 hours flat.

She has almost no real study skills-- she hasn't needed them.

She has no real work ethic-- again, it's never really been necessary.

Yes, she lives at home, but that is partly because she has a life-threatening medical condition which is very difficult to manage on a college campus, too, and-- well, I honestly cannot recommend any parent consider a regular dorm setting for a child under 17 years of age. Truly.

But she has friends, she is pretty happy, and she is able to "pass" as far older than 15. She is also struggling intensely with exam anxiety and not having the executive function that she needs in this setting-- never having needed it previously, see.

The lesson to be learned as a parent, though, is that somewhere along the way, DD figured out that, like a sideshow freak, or a circus animal, simply learning and being engaged isn't enough-- she's expected to Perform Extraordinary Feats! She internalized that formal school is about demonstrating what you know-- it's not about learning anything. It's about KNOWING. She struggles with socially prescribed perfectionism, which we believe wholeheartedly to have been caused by an inappropriate school setting and our failure to be able to provide one that was actually appropriate. It was as though the entire world was conspiring against our efforts to establish a healthy sense of self in our child-- by praising her for being "perfect" or "exceptional" they ignored the fact that someday, she was going to need to know how to struggle and wrestle knowledge to the ground.

Waiting to learn those skills until college is, um-- not recommended, generally speaking. whistle

suevv #216919 05/25/15 02:13 AM
    D
    dynasty Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks for the response suevv. I believe you're the second poster to bring up imposter syndrome in this thread. I had never heard of it before.

I do not consider myself gifted and I believe my spouse would think the same of herself. I took an IQ test in my early 20's that put me into the low 130's (WISC-IV). This was to help out a friend who was on her way to getting a doctorates in clinical psychology. Apparently she needed to run full length IQ tests on a number of people as part of her program. The score puts me around the 98 percentile which is about where I would have placed myself- not a level I would consider "gifted".

When I compare my DS's ability to soak in information to my own ability as a child, I have zero question that his brain is working at a level I will never be capable of. I used to share with my friends just how fast he learns new information (i.e. having him demonstrate the times' table as a 4 year old). But with his attainment of new knowledge and abilities seeming to never slow, I have all but stopped sharing with others his incredible-to-me feats. I'm not sure exactly why that is, possibly not wanting to seem like a show off. I only glanced over briefly the wikipedia page for imposter syndrome, but perhaps this has something to do with that.

Originally Posted by suevv
    First - I think there is a nuance to "when parents suspect giftedness, they're usually right." When you are talking about gifted parents, it seems that if the (gifted) parents have any suspicion the child is gifted AT ALL, there is probably actually a very high level of giftedness. Search on "impostor syndrome" and you'll see why this is true and see how many of us struggle with this as to ourselves and as to our children.

D
    dynasty Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    DS is hit and miss with being able to internalize an explanation correctly before being taught the underlying concept. Though I haven't directly taught him ratios and proportions yet, he has seen some word problems recently that use it.

Originally Posted by blackcat
    When DS was in first grade, and I explained to his teacher how high he tests for math, I could tell that she was thinking that I had just hothoused him in math. He learned basic fluency, math facts, was taught the steps to do calculations, etc. But then she worked with him and realized that he is actually gifted in math. You want to look at how he does with word problems, and concepts that he has not been directly taught. For instance say you haven't taught him anything about ratios or proportions. You tell him that it takes 2 tsp. of butter to make 24 cookies, how much butter do you need to make 60 cookies? Kids who have been taught ratios would know what they need to do, but gifted kids would just know the answer without knowing what a ratio is or how to do the computations. Anyway, it's just an example, obviously you can't figure out if a child is gifted based on one problem. DS did the Woodcock Johnson Achievement and for math it breaks it down...applied problems, fluency, calculation, for example. DS scored lowest in fluency probably because he is so slow with writing.

Just to note--this test seems to give artificially high scores to younger kids who have learned multiplication, division, etc. and I wouldn't bother with it unless you need the scores to apply for DYS or some other program.

D
    dynasty Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by dynasty
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    It's also possible that your DS is gifted in math but not so much in other areas.

Or that there's an environmental factor at play here. Dad's a secondary math teacher and mother's an accountant.
    It's really easy to think that as a parent, but I would say that exposure and ability are radically different things. Obviously, a person needs to be exposed to math concepts to have a chance to demonstrate ability, but the converse is simply not true: someone does not acquire an ability simply because they are exposed to it.

FYI, the process of getting your child assessed will likely be an emotional roller coaster ride for you (I just went through this and was a complete mess... I can PM with you all the gory details). But keep in mind that parents can be blinded by their child's exceptional abilities for various reasons (lack of an "average" child as a reference point, Impostor Syndrome, etc.). We ended up applying to a gifted school for my DS, and they required an IQ test as well. We thought he'd end up scoring on the mildly gifted end but were completely floored when he tested highly gifted. So it's definitely better to know. smile

Thanks for the welcome. smile And, yes, PM me the details. Or link me to a thread if you've posted it publicly before.

After your DS tested highly gifted did you send him to a different school?
    Not yet, but he was accepted to that gifted school and we are going to send him there in the fall. Our decision not to "stick it out" with his current public school was, for me, advised by discovering his LOG. I remember talking with the psychologist who administered his WISC about our schooling decision. After assuring me that the WISC cannot over-report someone's IQ (I was concerned), she went on to explain to me that I needed to consider the bell curve of this gifted school. They have their own bell curve comprised of only bright and gifted students, of course... but she was quick to point out that DS would be on the high end of even their curve. That made me realize that he's so far off his current school's radar, they aren't going to have a clue what to do with him.

One thing about social development that would concern me is that if DS skips several grades, he will be less physically developed than his peers. And boys, well, boys will certainly be boys. I fear that he would be picked on for being younger and brighter. He's actually over 99 percentile on height (51 inches, sixth birthday) so he'd probably be average height if he skipped two grades. But once junior high comes around and other boys are hitting puberty, there may be some cruelty that he would have to endure.
    To be honest, puberty sucks no matter what. You hear anecdotal stories about how really young, smart kids get picked on. Is it because they were grade skipped, or is it because they would have been picked on no matter which grade they were in? But on this board, I've heard grade acceleration to be a much more positive experience. Personally, I wouldn't base a decision about grade acceleration on social concerns, particularly if that is what he needs to stay engaged in school. The benefits seem to outweigh the risks.

But also keep in mind that grade acceleration may not be enough, in and of itself. The issue with many HG+ kids isn't just a subject knowledge issue; it's also a rate issue. A grade skip may help for awhile, but then the pace of learning may still be off, particularly in a mixed classroom setting. Unfortunately, there aren't really easy answers. What works for one kid may not work for another. While DS is really looking forward to having age peers who will double as intellectual peers next year, it's also possible that this new school may not be the perfect fit. We'll just have to wait and see and take it year by year (or even week by week).

We kept DS at his Montessori for this year instead of taking him to Kindergarten. He does well socially. He's always talking about his different friends and what type of sports / games they played in the playground that day.
    My DS loves his age peers as well from K. He seems to get along with nearly everyone. I think that deceived us a little, too... we slipped partly into believing that he couldn't be highly gifted because he does so well socially (that is, believing the smart kid stereotype of someone who is awkward and shy with few friends). I think you'll find a lot of people on this board that will tell you that nothing could be further from the truth than those stereotypes.

DS seems to have no problem doing the menial tasks that they give him at school each day. He actually prides himself on being able to beat his teachers on timed math quizzes. When I look at the schoolwork he brings home, I often ask myself how he can be so patient as to do worksheets with 5+3 and 8+4 in it over and over and over and over and over. I would have an attitude problem long ago! They do occasionally write him worksheets with more difficult problems, but that's far and few between.
    Mine as well loves being in school, even though he has told me point blank that he doesn't actually learn anything there. I think the relative novelty of the routine and the experience of having age peers every weekday to interact with still trumps academic insufficiencies, and he enjoys the "non"-academic classes (art, music, and gym) where age is more important than intellect. I do believe, though, that school would have gotten quite old for him after not much longer.

The long and short of it? Trust your gut, because it's probably right.

Thanks for the long response. It's good to hear that your DS has similar traits to mine (gets along well with peers, doesn't mind doing basic tasks along with the rest of the class). Since mine did so well at the Montessori, I have no doubt that he will do well in first grade. Though it is not a gifted school, it is one of the highest ranked elementary schools in my state (we use a 3 digit score called the API and this school is around 970). So one hope of mine (however misplaced) is that there will be enough kids in his school with his level of aptitude that they will be able to find ways to challenge him.

I hope your DS gets what he needs at the gifted school you're sending him to. Is it much of a drive?

L
    L
    Thanks for the long response. It's good to hear that your DS has similar traits to mine (gets along well with peers, doesn't mind doing basic tasks along with the rest of the class). Since mine did so well at the Montessori, I have no doubt that he will do well in first grade. Though it is not a gifted school, it is one of the highest ranked elementary schools in my state (we use a 3 digit score called the API and this school is around 970). So one hope of mine (however misplaced) is that there will be enough kids in his school with his level of aptitude that they will be able to find ways to challenge him.

I hope your DS gets what he needs at the gifted school you're sending him to. Is it much of a drive?

dynasty, I hope and expect that your son will do well too, but be aware that a high API or even a high level of giftedness within the school doesn't guarantee they will be supportive or understanding. We discovered that a high API means a high level of conformity - an expectation that all students achieve at the exact same high level if properly taught. Their belief was so strong that they really couldn't comprehend that some kids were developmentally ready for concepts at a younger age. Friendly teachers would honestly forget what we said, or deny it outright, because they couldn't fit it into their worldview. Another local school has a lower API, with more kids with disabilities. Here there is more of a celebration of differences. We've been able to work with staff who really understand teaching the child instead of the curriculum.
    Both my kids were social and popular until age 8 or so. At that point they stopped fitting in so well, and wanted friends more like themselves. I think it goes with the shift from playground to conversation based friendships.

You have good reason to be optimistic! You also have good reason to temper that with caution. Best of luck.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM