Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #216563 05/19/15 07:41 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I've read good things about the Life of Fred books. Anyone over here use them? What books would be good for a soon to be 3rd grader and a 5th grader? My kids strengths are verbal, but both are good at math (especially the younger), so thought these might be good for something different for math.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Ooh - I just saw the LoF Elementary Physics book. Anyone have experience with that? DS10's favorite subject is science...

B
    B
    Check out this thread from last summer.
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/195981/1.html

Personally I don't like the books at all. My son would hate them. Why make something so simple as math complicated with so many words. The books are VERY Christian IMO and defiantly have an Christian agenda. And some of the math is of questionable mathematical accuracy. I've lost the link but you can read several of the books online to get a taste.

But many people seem to love the books including some on this board.

N
    N
    My daughter loves Fred -- we've only got the first three (Apples, Butterflies, and Cats), but she's getting Dogs for her birthday this weekend. I'm sure we'll work our way through them all.

We order from Horrible Ray's (Del Sol) books, just email him the order and when the book comes, send him a check. I love that there is still a business that works that way. smile

N
    NGR Offline
    N
    I have a couple of the books. The one on Fractions was my favorite for nailing that concept. LoF is a useful supplement but is not complete enough to stand alone.

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    My daughter had a couple of years of classes with these books and really didn't like them. She's very verbal and not as strong in math so it sounded like it would be good. The trouble for her is that the story was distracting from the actual math and she found it very hard to get around in the books... to look back to refresh herself on a topic or note important concepts. Everything is buried in the story. Plus the page layout is challenging.

I would say the books are polarizing and might be the kind of thing you want to try out for yourself.

Edited to add: that link just above has a longer review from me with similar content. I'm starting to repeat myself, sorry everyone!

Last edited by Ivy; 05/20/15 07:30 PM.
    Ivy #216712 05/22/15 07:46 AM
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Ivy
    I would say the books are polarizing and might be the kind of thing you want to try out for yourself.

Yes to this. Both my kids love LoF, but we don't use it as our primary curriculum right now. But I know kids who hate LoF, for various reasons. I don't think you can necessarily predict how it will go, so it's probably best to borrow from a friend or the library.

M
    M
    If you decide to purchase this book , my suggestion is you buy just 1 or 2 to figure out if you like it. My kid is mathy kid and he does not seem that into it. I 'am not very fond of these books either. I made the mistake of buying the first set of books given the great reviews everywhere and regretting the money spent. I should have just purchased a book or two to get a flavor

H
    H
    Our family enjoyed them, but not as a replacement to a regular math curriculum.

Sully,

Was that the Intro to Algebra with Biology or another title?

MIU

Become what you are

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM