Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 124 of 268 1 2 122 123 124 125 126 267 268
    F
    F
    yes it is

Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DD, 7.5, is reading Little Women. She saw a play version this summer and has been asking to read it--I finally remembered that I do have a copy. I thought for sure that she would put it down right away, but no. She read some aloud to me today for school (she has to read aloud for homework) and I found that it is actually a lot more age-appropriate and engaging than I remembered, but still, it's quite the grown-up tome for a second-grader.

DD9 read Little Women last year and loved it. She enjoys historical novels better than any others. What a great book, I remember reading it three or four times when I was younger!

The Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder are good. I loved mine so much, I've kept them and hope my son will enjoy reading them like I did. There's a lot of fascinating lessons to be learned from them.

I'm bragging on my son setting up addition problems for his dad this morning. On a napkin, he wrote out double digit problems and then solved them. For a "super challenge", he had dad write the number one billion out and wanted to learn to add it to one thousand. (He's still not understanding that big numbers don't always mean difficult to add numbers!)

I wanted to keep that napkin, but it got smeared up with maple syrup. *sigh*

J
    J
    Thank you for mentioning the Fly Guy Series. I had not heard of these before. DS4 read book 1 today smile We are off to the library in the morning to pick up a few more.

JT
    DS6, DS5, DD3
    P
    Pru Offline
    P
    Not a brag but I couldn't resist sharing this chuckle. DD8 was getting dressed this morning and asked out of the blue, "What would happen if you got your ears bitten off by a giraffe?"

A
    A
    Ametrine,
    This is what the magic of digital cameras was made for! You can "save" all of that stuff that you can't actually keep, and it will all fit on a flashdrive.

Last edited by aculady; 09/04/11 12:44 PM.
    J
    J
    I have a funny "brag" story about both of our DDs. DD14 is a freshman at Interlochen in voice. Wants to perform at the Met in New York City someday. And she's academically gifted, too. So, DD14 is marveling over and over about how she gets to go perform in New York over spring vacation. DD8, also gifted, sick of the boasting, looks up and vehemently says, "Yeah, well, I'm probably going to (old home town) over my spring break where I have real friends. All you have in New York is a dream!" Once we picked up our jaws off the floor, we all burst out laughing, both DDs included.

JennyM

JennyM

Please send PM if I've been unclear. Many thoughts - so little time.
    J
    J
    DS6 was coloring today. Instead of drawing spiderman or a cow or something, he drew a color coded picture of neurons and synapses, and correctly labled the parts. The sad part is, I don't know all the details about neurons, so I genuinely had to ask him how one works, and he had to explain it to me. Yet another humbling moment.

JT
    DS6, DS5, DD3
    O
    O
    DD11 has been going to the same library for 11 years. He would never go to check out or ask for anything. Yesterday, he went up and asked for his computer print out. PROGRESS

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/11/11 11:15 AM.
    U
    U
    DS, 3.5, is reading. Very early reading, but it's definitely reading--he'll go through the BOB books sounding out, get a bit distracted and start reciting from memory, and then stop, correct himself, and start actually reading again. In any case, I tested him with random easy phonetic words on the whiteboard and he got them all right.

It's all sounded out--no sight words except for "the" and "and," which he picked up because he had to to read those books. So that's interesting. I'm not sure if this is still a party trick or if he'll really learn this way or what.

To be perfectly honest I think this clicked because I've been letting him watch streaming episodes of Word World on my weekly drop-dead work deadline day. (Where's the embarrassed smiley?) We really don't do TV as a general rule.

Page 124 of 268 1 2 122 123 124 125 126 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM