Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    2 registered (mithawk, acgoldis), 0 Guests and 204 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Paribus, mariedaniels, jemond75, catmom5, kristengomez
    10955 Registered Users
    April
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30
    Page 247 of 263 < 1 2 ... 245 246 247 248 249 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #215471 - 05/03/15 11:34 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Tigerle Offline

Loc: Europe
    Congrats to everyone!
    At DS8s elementary, they made every kid participate in a maths competition where they have to solve maths problems in teams of three (put together by the teacher, so it was very interesting what teams she'd come up with) and present their solutions to a jury. DS was very stressed by this, particularly as the teacher made no bones about expecting him and his team to compete at the district level - not exactly unbiased, was she? - but since she wasn't on the school jury, I guess who cares....
    Even though there was some friction in his team (both of the other kids are his friends but can't stand each other, and one was even more reluctant to compete than he was, while the third was all gung-ho) they managed to work together (I told DS it was his job to integrate the team!) and win at the school level. Now they will compete at district level - during the week they are at sleepaway camp! Apparently the school where the district competition will be held is only 3 miles away so one mom has agreed to drive the half hour to camp, take the to the competition and back while the camp activities will be put on hold.
    My usually anxiety ridden DS, so far, is taking it all in stride.
    And he's started serving as an altar boy!
    I am so very proud of how he is dealing with all these expectations, all the while being the youngest everywhere.

Edited by Tigerle (05/03/15 11:40 PM)

#216616 - 05/20/15 05:37 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Bostonian Offline

Loc: MA
    My 2nd son, 9yo and in 4th grade, earned SCAT scores that qualified him for High Honors. He did especially well in math, scoring in the 99th percentile for 6th graders. We went twice to the CTY regional awards ceremony for his elder brother, and he also wanted to be recognized in the ceremony -- and feast on the chocolate chip cookies they provide smile. In two years, on to the SAT!

#216630 - 05/20/15 10:31 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    HowlerKarma Offline

That's great, Bostonian! Congrats to him on the excellent performance. smile

#216631 - 05/21/15 02:19 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Loy58 Offline

Congratulations to your DS, Bostonian! That is wonderful!

#216632 - 05/21/15 04:00 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Bostonian]
    madeinuk Offline

Loc: NJ
    Very nice!

BTW, I never took the SAT - what level of Maths do the questions go up to? Wondering when my DD10 will be ready to try it...

#216638 - 05/21/15 05:45 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: madeinuk]
    Bostonian Offline

Originally Posted By: madeinuk
    Very nice!

BTW, I never took the SAT - what level of Maths do the questions go up to? Wondering when my DD10 will be ready to try it...

Started a new thread -- Preparing for the new math SAT

#216680 - 05/21/15 02:08 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: brilliantcp]
    DrH Offline

Originally Posted By: brilliantcp
    Two brags in one for May 1st (college choice deadline in the US)

DD was accepted to several universities including one out of state "DREAM SCHOOL" (think west coast ivy equivalent) and is choosing the solid, mid-tier, east coast state school that offered her a full out of state tuition merit scholarship. Super proud of her for earning a merit scholarship, even prouder of her for being mature enough to see that taking on over $200K in student loan debt would have a long term impact on her future choices.

So glad to have this forum where I can just say that she got a merit scholarship and got into DREAMY U without doing my "humble brag" routine.

Only hope she knows what she plans on doing in the future and is aware that even though her choice seems the most sensible that in some instances it actually isn't... but that all depends on what she plans on doing in the future. I recall a classmate in graduate school was interviewing for positions with a big management consulting firm and was told flat out that while her grades were great and her experience was good, that her undergrad was from Rutgers and that was the reason that they wouldn't be offering her a job... And that was even though she was coming out of a top 3 MBA program.

So remember that in some fields they are actually so shallow that they will look at where you went to school.

#216717 - 05/22/15 08:44 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: DrH]
    brilliantcp Offline

Hey DrH,
    Since we're about to veer off bragging into another subject, I'm starting a new thread.

#216722 - 05/22/15 09:33 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: brilliantcp]
    Bostonian Offline

Originally Posted By: brilliantcp
    Hey DrH,
    Since we're about to veer off bragging into another subject, I'm starting a new thread.

The discussion can be continued in the thread Where You Go Is Not Who You'll Be.

#216982 - 05/26/15 04:56 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    mithawk Online   content

So excited today! DS was elected school president!

While we are thrilled that his fellow classmates look up to him, we are still not sure how he became so popular--he doesn't play sports, or participate in any school activities, has no social media accounts, and barely sees his classmates outside of school. The first inkling we had that could win was when elections were announced a month ago and a few kids spontaneously started running in the halls yelling "Vote for DS".

Page 247 of 263 < 1 2 ... 245 246 247 248 249 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    IQ increases the more you concentrate on the test?
    by aeh
    Yesterday at 05:20 PM
    "Money" on college financial aid, student loans
    by indigo
    Yesterday at 10:55 AM
    Gifted Adult with ASD (on the Autism Spectrum)
    by aeh
    Yesterday at 08:08 AM
    Misdiagnosis of 2e?
    by aeh
    Yesterday at 07:56 AM
    different assignments in class
    by indigo
    04/10/21 03:18 PM
    Davidson Institute Twitter