Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #216544 05/19/15 01:43 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Hi -

DS10 and DD8 have both been tested, and both qualify for DYS with their VCI and GAI scores on the WISC iv. However, both just miss on the WIAT iii. DD has an oral language composite score that qualifies, but that is not one of the tests DYS lists for acceptance.

I am wondering what services you feel you get with DYS. I know they do advocacy, and that could be helpful. Do they work with teachers and administrators who are relatively willing to accommodate, but simply don’t know what to do? What other services?

Right at this moment we’re in a relatively good position, with a new principal who is interested in learning more, and actually wants to retest DS10 (achievement tests - he was not particularly happy to be there or cooperative the first time … long story). Given that he might qualify for DYS based on new achievement scores, then I want to be absolutely certain they give one of the tests that counts — or, I want to pay to do the right test. However, how much I push (or pay) depends on how worth it DYS really is, and what services they provide.

In addition, DS is a 2e kid, with some OT/sensory issues, physical handwriting issues (which are being overcome by use of a computer, however he doesn’t have a lot of well above grade level writing samples due to his relative inexperience with writing being something that isn’t totally horrible for him) and possibly some issues with processing speed. Do the DYS folks take that kind of thing into account?

As for DD, she’s not a candidate for retesting anytime soon. What do people do for portfolios? I have no idea what I’d include!! I bet I could get teachers to help with that next year too (find work they think is well above grade level), if I had an idea of what they look for… Do people really get in to the program with portfolios when their kids have missed on the testing?

Just wondering what folks’ experiences have been, to see if the effort is worth it. I’ve read through some of the sticky threads, and while I see a lot on how to apply (and a ton of other great stuff!), but just a small bit on what DYS offers once you’re accepted.

Sorry this is long - I’m just feeling confused!!

TIA!

Pinecroft #216553 05/19/15 04:49 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I don't have any input on DYS, but if you're thinking about achievement testing, I'll note that it is very difficult to score 145+ on the WIAT-III Total Reading Composite, due to the item set format, which tends to cap performance on the reading comprehension subtest. You might have better spread on the KTEA-3, as the reading comprehension subtest has a modified item set format, with decision rules that allow for the possibility of continuing as far as grade 12 items.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Pinecroft #216554 05/19/15 05:11 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks aeh. Both kids strength is verbal, so its going to need to be that very area for them to qualify. And given DS's relative writing weakness, its not going to be the writing area :-).

Anyone know if they ever look at regular assessment testing? The kids do Dibels multiple times a year; DD was assessed (apparently, just learned this on Friday, now that the year is basically over) as having mastered the entire 2nd grade curriculum in fall. Shocking (note the sarcasm) that she became sullen and had behavior issues, right? The school psych suggested I push to see if we can get her assessed for 3rd grade now, so we can begin to really plan for her for next year over the summer. If she passes out of that, perhaps I could see if she can do much of 4th too - then she would qualify toward a portfolio for doing work two grade levels above...

Last edited by Pinecroft; 05/19/15 05:11 PM.
    Pinecroft #216557 05/19/15 05:34 PM
    L
    L
    I'll let others who have been in DYS for longer comment on what it has to offer. So far, we have really enjoyed learning from other parents who have BTDT.

There are definitely 2e DYS.

We didn't try the portfolio option (tests actually seemed easier to us), but I think you could submit "not accepted" but high test results as part of the portfolio. I'm not sure about Dibels though. I thought that was just reading speed and accuracy. Do you perhaps have some other testing?

Have you thought about letting your DC take the EXPLORE test? It is relatively inexpensive. It may be more challenging for your DS with processing concerns (because it is timed; does he qualify for accomodations?). DD9 qualified for DYS using EXPLORE, while DS6 qualified with the WIAT.

Best wishes whatever you decide!

Pinecroft #216558 05/19/15 06:37 PM
    B
    B
    You can do a portfolio for you child if the WISC scores qualify him/her but the achievement tests do not. That is what we did for my DS; we didn't even submit the achievement scores. Because DS is 2e, his achievement scores do not line up with his WISC testing. This is part of what helped us understand his 2e-ness.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by BlessedMommy
    You can do a portfolio for you child if the WISC scores qualify him/her but the achievement tests do not. That is what we did for my DS; we didn't even submit the achievement scores. Because DS is 2e, his achievement scores do not line up with his WISC testing. This is part of what helped us understand his 2e-ness.

Aren't you supposed to submit the achievement test scores anyway? Or is that just IQ testing?

Pinecroft #216560 05/19/15 06:56 PM
    B
    B
    From what I read on the website, you have to submit two out of the three areas: IQ testing, achievement testing and portfolio. You don't have to submit all three even if you have all three. We didn't submit achievement tests for my DS as the way I read the application we didn't need to if we weren't using them to qualify.

2 of the 3 different things need to be submitted, so if the achievement scores don't meet the qualifying, don't send them - send the portfolio instead.
    Put in conversations you have that show in-depth knowledge, record them discussing something, written pieces of work that are clearly 2 or more years above their age peers. Pictures and written explanations of projects they have done.
    DYS is looking for academic stuff, so they are not interested in sports ability or musical ability, keep it to things that could be considered "core classes" topics in school.

We've used the educational consultants for DDnow12, when we were radically accelerating her and the school wanted to know more information about intensities and how to deal with a young kid in a middle school. We had the guidance counselor be the school's point person, and then whenever there were questions form teachers or admin, this person could (and did) call the family consultant and talk with her. It was great because then it wasn't just DH and I saying she needed this that and the other thing, but rather people the school felt had more legitimacy because of their position. We were able to get things sorted out much faster with the consultant than we would have been able to do on our own.

Pinecroft #216576 05/19/15 09:47 PM
    E
    E
    It's been a while since we joined, so I may be misremembering, or it may have changed. I thought the form was explicit that we had to submit all IQ and achievement test results, whether or not they were qualifying.

Pinecroft #216587 05/20/15 06:35 AM
    S
    S
    My 8 yo is a DYS. We did the portfolio because I didn't want to have to pay for another round of testing. It was easy as can be. I found some worksheets online that were listed as several years above grade level (and actually WERE - sometimes they are not). I made up 1 worksheet on my own. And I had actually saved a workbook DS had done when he was 3 (you can submit one piece that is more than 2 years old)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM