Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Q
    Q
    Well, for all of us who were wondering what to include in a DYS portfolio, either of these would do the trick: http://www.musicdolove.com/Mathematics/SineOf1Degree.html or
    http://www.musicdolove.com/Mathematics/IntegralOfe-x2.html

Wow.

Definately! grin

G
    G
    I have to say that something about this story and the father's approach comes across as a bit "off." If it were just one or two things, the comment about having no friends aside from the parents, for example, I'd be able to attribute it to a misquote, an overzealous reporter, or even the fact that young kids say all kind of things that aren't really the case. But the website itself seems to reinforce one's impressions.

I agree with the posters who mentioned the lack of awareness on the part of parents who would post such detailed information about their child - down to the bike trails where this boy can regularly be found. I think that's just plain nuts. The wording seems off -or it could be that the parent is not a native speaker, but there is something odd about the syntax. I agree that the comment emphasizing how the biking and exercise make the boy healthy *so that he can do math and music* was almost creepy. Hopefully, it wasn't meant that way. The Can You Guess? bit seemed immature and not unlike something a young kid, rather than a parent, might write.

The boy and mother's comments about the lack of friends did made me sad, if it's true. I hope that the parents put just a fraction of the effort into finding accepting or like minded kids (they do exist) as they do developing the math and music skills. I know a mother of a gifted boy at my kids' school who, from the time her son was very small, made a very large effort in this area, knowing that social skills were her son's area of weakness. She was such an engaging and social mom herself that kids were drawn to the house. She often invited other kids and their parents over to the house for play dates or parties and set up fun things to do. Even though she worked, she found time to volunteer at the schools and got to know which kids might be a good "fit" for her son. Unfortunately (and not saying it's the case here) , sometimes social interaction can be a weakness of a parent as well - there are parents who are quite introverted in their own right and perfectly happy to encourage an academic and individual pursuit bubble. Sometimes there's even an element of elitism, or feeling that other kids are just not "like" their child and so they don't even try after a while. I hope that this is not the case.

I also have major issues with the parents on their philosophy of such early specialization. Is this even permitted by Texas home schooling guidelines?

LMom, The website seems to have been edited in various ways within the last few days. I'm not certain that was there before.

Very good points Gabrielle. And I agree that something seems slightly off with the syntax or something. I felt the same way and really couldn't put my finger on it.

I must not have read the site closely because just now I noticed that at the bottom there are links to two other child pianist's homepages.

Maybe this is a popular thing to do in our info-accessible age, however, it doesn't really sit well with me.

For the record I dislike seeing young children turned into mega-star actors/singers/entertainers for the same reasons I disagree with the conduct of this child's parents.

That kind of exposure brings a lot of adult-like pressures and issues into the mix.
    If a child has talents, they will still have talents when they are 20. There is a lot a parent can do to support and nurture the talent without inviting the whole world into the kid's living room.

Q
    Q
    Watch the Olympics in a couple of weeks and you'll see plenty of similar stories. It's hard for parents to know what to do with such talented kids and how to support them, let them go, and "be a kid." And there are always outside pressures, too.

Anyway, I went to the website and watched him play the piano and all I could say was "wow." And the piano teacher works with similar children. Wow.

S
    S
    This article originally appeared in the Southlake (Texas) Journal. It contains so many inaccurate quotations and incorrect assertions about Magnus and his education that it is little more than a caricature. The editors of the paper have recognized this and removed this libelous tripe from their web site.

It's clear that the author had an ax to grind about gifted eduacation and deliberately fabricated some of the "information" and the quotes. Nothing could be further from the truth about the real Magnus than this article.

Originally Posted by StrawMan
    This article originally appeared in the Southlake (Texas) Journal. It contains so many inaccurate quotations and incorrect assertions about Magnus and his education that it is little more than a caricature. The editors of the paper have recognized this and removed this libelous tripe from their web site.

It's clear that the author had an ax to grind about gifted eduacation and deliberately fabricated some of the "information" and the quotes. Nothing could be further from the truth about the real Magnus than this article.

That often happens. Reporters go 'ga-ga'over something special, and end up making things appear as they are not.

Okay, point taken. But why are the parents granting so many interviews and seeking out so much publicity.
    I could understand if there was one interview and the reporter was an idiot.
    But there are many and a web page as well!
    And also, I think most posters that have been somewhat critical (but hopefully polite!) have been directing it towards the PARENT, not the CHILD........is anyone picking up this recurring theme!!!!! mad

Concerning the Olymics, I agree with you there questions. But there are really not that many kids competing. I've seen kids as young as 15, and only one as young as 12 or 13 I think, a swimmer.

But this kid is 8. And those kids are hopefully showing up to compete in their event. I haven't seen any evidence of their parents marketing their children like a brand, although I'm sure we will. cry

I think it goes without saying that I would also think that is a bad idea.

Well, it does help get the word out that not all kids are on their way toward smoking crack!
    And after viewing the kid's website again, I got thinking about how I've posted a few pics of GS9 showing his cattle on some farm forums. Darn right, I'm proud; and if some reporter stuck a microphone in my face on Monday I might have said some things that I'd be wanting to take back today!

As usual, I agree with you OMA! May I emphasize that you agree that perhaps after the interview you may say something you may want to take back!
    Therein lies the problem, once it's printed and/or in cyberspace; you can't.

Perhaps I've been unduly harsh towards the parents. If so, I'm sorry.
    It is true I am very opinionated concerning certain matters. So in the spirit of supportiveness toward's Magnus's family, I will dispense this totally unsolicited advice:

wink

Edit you website. There is too much specific and personal information about your son. Between that and the news reports, I could track down your address by the end of the day. And believe me, I'm the least scary person that could end up at your doorstep.

Refuse any more press inquiries. They general press has no interest in portraying your family in a realistic light. Their job is to sell commercials, not to disperse pertinent and worthwhile information. If you ignore them they will go away. They have a short attention span and will be off in search of their next rubberneck story.

You are right to support and nurture you son's amazing gifts and talents. He is a remarkable young man and every child is a precious gift. Personally, I would protect his privacy and find others like yourself to rally around your family and support you and him. I suspect there are precious few who will be able to do this objectively. Allow him to develop and grow into the remarkable person he is on track to become. Then he may stand as an example of how important the environment is for a child with extreme learning needs.
    Additionally, as an adult he will be developmentally more readily able to withstand the pressure and attacks that come with taking a stand on such a politically charged issue, like genius.

A lot of brilliant well-meaning people are going to give you lots of advice on how to best support your son.
    Be discriminating.

Apply to Davidson for assistance if you think it would be helpful to Magnum, if you haven't done so already.

Peace,
    Neato

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM