Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    My DS10 was tested two years ago (2nd grade, 8 yo), my DD was just tested this year (2nd grade, 8 yo). Their scores are as follows:

WISC iv:
    DS
    VCI 158
    PRI 115
    WM 120
    PSI 97

DD
    VCI 158
    PRI 129
    WM 123
    PSI 103

Obviously, the two of them are quite similar. Just as a random aside, I feel DD’s scores are an accurate reflection (given notes from the tester, etc.), DS’s could be slightly deflated in some areas (unlikely VCI) due to his own attitude, a timed component to the WM subtest, and (very) poor relationship with the tester. That said, I would by no means think it would be significantly higher - there aren’t any big surprises on his. I will also note that he is somewhat of a 2e kid, with some sensory issues as well as that processing disparity.

I am wondering about both their significant strength and their relative weakness. I’m at a point with our school and district where I have attention and possible support for some changes and further accommodations. But I need to educate them as well - this is a new administration, and they have limited/no experience with kids like this. Likewise, I have a teacher who is *eager* to learn more - I’d love to steer her towards a few high quality articles quickly, so she can get started with the best, then search further through the quality sites like SENG further on her own. Likewise I’d like to provide our principal with a few; she’s unlikely to go much further so its critical I have top notch materials to start out.

So my questions are:

What are your top picks for articles/information on gifted ed - looking for both the ‘why’ and the ‘how’.
    What are your top picks for articles on the gifted child (frustrations explained, emotional issues, asynchrony, etc.)?
    3) Do you have advice for me, given their profiles?
    4) For those who have had success in working with schools, what types of accommodations have been made for your kids and what has worked/not worked?

Thanks in advance!

A
    A
    I don't have much advice, but I do have some articles to recommend. I've got a collection I've been building to share with the school.

Inside Out: Understanding the Social and Emotional Needs of Gifted Children (Linda Silverman, 2005)
    http://www.pegy.org.uk/Inside-Out%20PEGY%20pdf.pdf

The Educational Experience for Students with Gifts and Talents (Jolly and Hughes, 2015)
    ...if you can't find it, PM me

Hoagie's has some articles explaining IQ scores and levels of giftedness.

Understanding, Diagnosing, and Coping with Slow Processing Speed (Butnik, 2013)
    http://www.2enewsletter.com/article_2013_05_slow_processing.html

If you google for "gifted and slow processing speed" a bunch of things will pop up.

Articles about intensities like Intensities have been helpful for my kids' teachers.

I also gave them a list of the intensities my kids have and how they react when put into certain situations. For example, one of my DD's hums when she is "in the zone" for learning. She also cries when talking about or reading about others getting hurt, or feeling badly or just being ignored. My other DD can't sit still for very long. She constantly has to be moving some part of her body. (It could simply be wiggling her fingers or toes around.)
    Most teachers do not know anything about intensities - not what they are, or how they affect kids or how to deal with them. So I have found that it is best if you just have a frank discussion with them about the fact that your kid interprets the world differently from most kids - usually more intensely than others, and saying things like "well, you're going to have to get used to it, or calm down, it's no big deal" is not helpful to actually getting intense kids to clam down.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thank you both - these were so helpful!! I hadn't focused much on the intensities thing until recently, and it really does fit both my kids. Explaining that will help both my kids understand themselves and truly help their teachers understand why they behave the way they do sometimes (poor DS's teacher dealt with multiple meltdowns on his part this year...).

The article on processing speed is one of the best I've read - thank you Aufilia! I've tried looking at articles on processing a number of times, but get bogged down quickly, so it was helpful to have one high quality one. I still am not entirely clear how this impacts DS, and even less so DD (who I would never have guessed had that same low processing score... she's quick!). But its a great starting point.

Thank you again!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM