Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 152 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    B
    B
    Dramatic play?

My DD had very little interest in this. Sure--she would bang around in play kitchens, taking out pots and pans, putting them on the stove, or whatever, but she did not make up "stories" with any toys. She does not have ASD, she has ADHD and executive function issues. My other child, who seemed more stereotypically ASD with late speech, flapping hands, toe-walking, etc. (he has dyspraxia) would play with his Thomas trains at age 3 and yell Choo Choo and make them talk to each other. Of course he was "strange" in that he could recognize every train and say the train's name just by looking at the train's face. I had gotten about 100 trains from a garage sale and he knew all the names--to me they all looked practically the same (although he was never obsessive--I attribute it to something resembling a photographic memory).

I hope the eval gives you some good answers and information about how to proceed.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    He also used to sorta "announce" when he needed to say or ask something. "I have a question" instead of just asking...or "I need to tell you something."
    I also used to tape balloons to the ceiling fan bc he loved watching it spin, that he lined up cars by color instead of playing with them, and also built elaborate, perfectly symmetrical, by color and shape, block structures when he was very young...

Well, now I know why your DS is so appealing to me when you write about him. He's very like my DS12.

All this gathering is useful, but don't fret or over-analyze if you can help it.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    eco, one thing I think you'll find with a good neuropsych is that they will pull this info out in the parent interview. Our neuropsych asked so many questions about developmental things that I'd never thought would matter in any way, and used them to help piece together the puzzle of what was up with our ds. FWIW, my ds' developmental milestones were all considered to be within normal range when you look at age-range-charts and by his ped - yet when the neuropsych put it all together, they were at the late age range across the board for motor skills, which was meaningful. When your child is actually going through those stages you are only looking at the development one milestone at a time; it's the broad look back at everything as a global picture that lets a neuropsych piece together whether or not something is indicated in the developmental history. FWIW, my ds who met all his milestones, but on the late side, has relatively severe dyspraxia - and no one saw it *at all* when he was little. But looking back at the broad picture, it was clearly there.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm thinking (and why I'm sorry I don't have actual records!)

I would not make assumptions about what something *is* but I would make a list to give the neuropsych about anything you think might be meaningful. For instance, if your ds didn't start rubbing his eyes until he was 5, and that's on the late end of the "typical" age range for rubbing one's eyes, and it's also a symptom of "eyes-impacted" disorder - put the "rubbed eyes at age 5" on your list, but don't phrase it as "possible eyes-impacted disorder". The neuropsych wants to know what symptoms your child is displaying and then he/she will put together the big picture of what all the symptoms mean in terms of a diagnosis (or no diagnosis). The rubbing-eyes is a totally bogus example (as far as I know lol!)... but most typical developmental symptoms can be indicative of any number of different diagnoses - our neuropsych likes to show her clients a chart of the overlap in symptoms between ASD, dyspraxia, and ADHD. The number of shared symptoms is really large - which means you need the professional to help sort out what's up.

Thank you for mentioning the eye-rubbing was an example, before I fired up Mr. Google--ha ha! It does seem like there is an awful lot of overlap between distinct conditions. I think that's one reason I've been more or less satisfied with the gifted/ADHD model until just recently, even though it has always felt ever-so-slightly-off-base.

Have you considered the vomiting might be food-related? Allergies or reflux?
    I haven't really been able to figure out the vomiting thing--this is one I did mention to the NP and she said there is a possibility it's related to chronic constipation and things "backing up." That didn't really make sense to me from my limited understanding of human anatomy, but she told me she talks about constipation/toileting issues all day long (she works with ASD kids) so I'm guessing she has a good handle on odd GI issues.

Originally Posted by blackcat
    Dramatic play?

My DD had very little interest in this. Sure--she would bang around in play kitchens, taking out pots and pans, putting them on the stove, or whatever, but she did not make up "stories" with any toys.
    I hope the eval gives you some good answers and information about how to proceed.
    I've been musing over this question. Again, I just can't remember! I don't know if this makes sense, but I'd call my son very *creative* but not necessarily in the *dramatic* sense. He's at the age where there isn't as much active play any more. When he does play, with other children, they do things like set up very realistic environments (restaurant, office). When he plays with army figures, LEGO, etc., the process seems to be ALL about set-up: he might spend hours setting up a scene, or constructing something, but then wants to leave it as it is (not manipulate the objects). This is also true of his current hobby of drawing playing cards (similar to Pokemon, etc.) and assigning them powers and writing rules. I don't think he actually *plays* the games, though--it's all about the design. Or he decides to market them and sell them at school. smile

Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Well, now I know why your DS is so appealing to me when you write about him. He's very like my DS12.

All this gathering is useful, but don't fret or over-analyze if you can help it.
    This is probably going to sound really weird...but what I'm fretting most about right now is that I might have failed to relay some critical piece of information that might make a huge difference for my son's education (i.e. 504 v. IEP). Since NP said the dx was not immediately obvious, I feel pressured to make sure she has all the puzzle pieces.

Another thing I remembered--and this one will really make me sound addled--is that I had scheduled an evaluation when he was 3-4 with the local autism center. I don't remember what my concerns were right at that time, but I do remember by the time he could be seen (many months later), those concerns had dissipated so I canceled.

I also remembered that after his psychological evaluation at age 7, I asked the psychologist (after the report meeting)--"you don't suspect autism?" To which he visibly startled and said: "that wasn't even on my radar." Reading the report, five years later, it seems to me that much of his descriptive language describes autistic traits, but through a different lens. That psych didn't dx the ADHD--it was still in r/o category.

When I counsel clients who are on the edge of a psych dx--I often tell them, it seems to me it is sometimes *more* difficult to be "almost" anything. Because it's so blurry and hard to get a firm grasp. I think that is probably what's happening here.

I just want an accurate, thorough model of my son's process so he can have proper support and be successful...I'm sure that's true of everyone on this board.

You are all so helpful, thank you! smile

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM