Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    M
    M
    I am changing it to:
    Gunn/Monta Vista/Cupertino High/Paly/Saratoga High smile I am sure that there are equally high performing schools all over the country and in CA (considering CA schools rate very low, the other states must have a better share of them).

I had to LOL at this. Seriously though, isn't Lynbrook better than Cupertino High ? I thought Lynbrook/Monta Vista/Saratoga High/Paly/Gunn were the top-tier high schools in the valley/forest.

It also bothers me so much that a lot of school districts are not good in most towns in the Bay Area.

The battle is now taking place in extracurriculars, which gives even more advantage to wealthier kids with more involved parents and can also disadvantage highly gifted kids who might be pointier when compared to the less gifted kids who are "well rounded" because they are varsity athletes or student body presidents.

I agree with this. The focus on extracurriculars is crazy. And what's even crazier, once the kid gets into a college of his/her choice, they drop the extracurricular like a hot potato. I joke saying that the extracurricular is actually more parent-driven than child-driven.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by mom2one
    I had to LOL at this. Seriously though, isn't Lynbrook better than Cupertino High ? I thought Lynbrook/Monta Vista/Saratoga High/Paly/Gunn were the top-tier high schools in the valley/forest.

It also bothers me so much that a lot of school districts are not good in most towns in the Bay Area.

Those schools aren't as good as they claim to be. Most of those kids are being driven like beasts of burden by their parents (and homework-happy teachers, more homework doesn't make the school better). I know; I see them in the libraries in the summer doing AP coursework, and I know/have known some of them. I also read about them in the paper when they kill themselves to make it stop by stepping in front of trains (9 since 2009 with that method alone, IIRC).

The pressure starts young around here: I've probably written this before, but my DD had to have routine but major surgery a couple years ago, and her roommate was a kindergartner with the same problem. She was doing homework while still hooked up to an IV line. During Thanksgiving break, no less.

Write that journal! Do those sums!

L
    L
    Yeah. 5 is too old to take your first gymnastics or dance class for fun around here; my kids were embarrassed because their skills were not even close to those of the preschoolers who'd had 2-4 years of weekly lessons already. The teachers didn't even know what to do with a kid who was so behind.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ljoy
    Yeah. 5 is too old to take your first gymnastics or dance class for fun around here; my kids were embarrassed because their skills were not even close to those of the preschoolers who'd had 2-4 years of weekly lessons already. The teachers didn't even know what to do with a kid who was so behind.

Along those lines, I worked at a skating rink on weekends for a year, and you do not want to know about the parents and their miserable offspring. There was a girl doing a gorgeous axel during free skate one evening, and I complimented her to her mother. Mom was frowning. She said that the daughter was only doing "all right" (I was told that she had merely placed second at a recent competition). I started to watch them. The girl didn't look happy on the ice and the mom was frowning the entire time.

I've seen parents go out onto the ice to yell at their kids for not doing a perfect jump or spin. I've seen kids struggling for weeks to land a jump and then not smiling when they finally do.

The day I started, the other teachers told me to stay in the middle of the rink on report card days so that the parents couldn't complain to me about not passing Little Johnny or Little Susie from alpha to beta (or whatever). When some kids failed, their parents would sign them up for the next level anyway. I remember one of the teachers once had a whole class of kids in Freestyle 2 who should have repeated Freestyle 1.

L
    L
    Oddly, ice skating is the one thing you can start late, here. It's actually a family-fun kind of thing. Lots of moms laughing with little ones, kids can start at four or fourteen or bumble onto the ice with no skill at twenty. I wonder if it's partly because they won't take kids under 3.5 for lessons, while dance and gym start at 12-18 months.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by mom2one
    Sorry, the snippet of info about the aschool band going to play at Carnegie Hall distracted me while I was making that list - Cupertino High's band is reputed to be one of the best nationally (according to someone who knows more about local high school bands than me).
    I will change the list again to:
    Lynbrook/Monta Vista/Saratoga High/Paly/Gunn/Cupertino High smile

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ChaosMitten
    If you reduce the granularity in the data set by not disclosing class rank and allowing grade inflation so the top 15+% all have unweighted 4.0s, you aren't solving the problem of cutthroat competition--you're just diverting it into another area. The competition for the finite resources of scholarships, awards, and competitive college admissions does not magically disappear. The battle is now taking place in extracurriculars, which gives even more advantage to wealthier kids with more involved parents and can also disadvantage highly gifted kids who might be pointier when compared to the less gifted kids who are "well rounded" because they are varsity athletes or student body presidents.
    I agree. The relatively low ceiling of the SAT also has the same effect, as does the reporting of AP exam scores only on a 1:5 scale, where the score 5 corresponds to a wide range of raw scores.

Originally Posted by ljoy

My DD10's gymnastics experience involves a wide range of ages. She's one of the youngest in her tumbling class, but one of the oldest in her gymnastics class. She actually likes being one of the oldest, because the coach lets her and her friend lead warm-ups. The basic idea is that kids end up in the right group for their skill levels, and age isn't a factor.

This is a gym in which the owners/head trainers speak about their Olympics experiences in thick, Eastern European accents, where competition trophies line more than one wall, and where bad parents are all too easy to find.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by ChaosMitten
    If you reduce the granularity in the data set by not disclosing class rank and allowing grade inflation so the top 15+% all have unweighted 4.0s, you aren't solving the problem of cutthroat competition--you're just diverting it into another area. The competition for the finite resources of scholarships, awards, and competitive college admissions does not magically disappear. The battle is now taking place in extracurriculars, which gives even more advantage to wealthier kids with more involved parents and can also disadvantage highly gifted kids who might be pointier when compared to the less gifted kids who are "well rounded" because they are varsity athletes or student body presidents.
    I agree. The relatively low ceiling of the SAT also has the same effect, as does the reporting of AP exam scores only on a 1:5 scale, where the score 5 corresponds to a wide range of raw scores.

At the end of this journey, you've either got the degree, or you don't, so I don't see any point in fussing over a couple of percentage points on a single exam.

C
    C
    Yuck. Checkpoint … Are your kids truly happy?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM