Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 173 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 85 of 102 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 101 102
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by amylou
    So we're eating lunch in a restaurant with our 15 yo twins, having an long and animated discussion about possible causes of the unusual seasonal cycles in Westeros (Game of Thrones). The discussion gets a bit heated when it digressed into the effect of the moon on the tilt of the earth's axis.

As we were leaving the restaurant, a woman eating by herself two tables down pulled me aside and said, "I overheard your conversation and I am a retired gifted teacher -- I sure hope those kids go to a good school!"

That's great!

N
    N
    When you take your 20 month old to the pool and he says "Mommy look at vortex!" and you realize the last time you showed him a vortex was last summer at the pool when he was 10-11 months old.

K
    K
    I checked on DS9 while he was taking a bath this evening. He was reading a new recreational math book he had just gotten. Except he was so absorbed in what he was reading that he didn't realize the book was partially submerged in the water!

C
    C
    Your normally talkative 5 and 8 year olds fall silent when you start playing the audio version of Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything." A few minutes later, the 5 year old is arguing with his brother about Pluto being a micro planet while brother is telling him it was a dwarf planet and now isn't... but that he doesn't feel like getting into the whole explanation because "then you will never leave me alone about it."

Books getting wet in the bath were the bane of my existence as a child and I still enjoy a long and luxurious soak in the tub. But (drum roll please) thanks to this:-

waterproof cover for iPad

I can still soak like a hippo for an hour or so and still keep up with current affairs via Safari, keep track of various forums or read eBooks! Progress is a marvelous thing when it actually does have a positive and liberating effect on one's life :-)

Last edited by madeinuk; 06/19/15 03:23 AM.

Become what you are
    C
    C
    I'm feeling glad that DS8 starting taking showers before he had the notion of reading in the tub! :-)

A
    A
    Your first grader comes up with the accounting / inventory approach of lifo / fifo (last in first out / first in first out) on her own...She says when you drink from a straw, you are drinking water from the bottom of the cup. On the other hand, when you put toys in a toybox, the toy you take out first, is the last one you put in...

C
    C
    DD11 has memorized the quadratic formula but comes out of her room in mismatched clothes because I didn't tell her there were clean clothes in the basket next to her bedroom door that she walked past probably 10 times while getting ready this morning.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    T
    T
    You remind her it's Pi Approximation Day. She objects that it should just be held every other year in October, because 10+12=22.

M
    M
    Your child's teacher thought it was adorable that she got up in the middle of class and announced that she'd had enough of school thanks very much and if it wasn't too much trouble she'd be leaving now. Thankfully brilliant teacher figured out dd thought the math was too hard and managed to convince her that some effort might be worth her time.

Page 85 of 102 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM