Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    S
    Oh yea, one more thing to consider!!
    Medical school is a LONG process. So, the sooner he starts, the sooner he will be able to "get on" with his life. Many doctors put off getting married and having children until after residency. The sooner he enters school, the sooner you can have grandkids (okay, just kidding :))
    But really, it is very long and very expensive. Many doctors end up with lots of money in loans, so the more you save on the front end, the less loans he may need to take out on the back end.

W
    OP Offline
    W
    That's on my mind, too.

See the thing is, one way or the other the next 3 years are going to be busy and challenging for Rite. I've heard the "let him enjoy his childhood...why push him" argument from most of the relatives last night. I answered "To save $30,000 or more". chuckle.

Anyhow, the guidance counselor said making it through the U of MN with good grades and a great MCAT (is that the pre-test for med school??) will give him great options for med. schools. She said he could also be set up for excellent assistance for those, too.....assistantships and the like.

Rite says he'd like to be a cardiologist. So, he does have a long haul. Of course, he's only just turned 15. He's a long way to go to decide on his career.

The grandkid thing..........YIKES!!! Gosh! I am that old!!!

chuckle

Willa Gayle
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    GG--your niece sounds a lot like Rite--highly motivated.

We are going to see if we can set up and appointment with the soccer coach at the U to discuss Rites options for playing collegiate soccer. There is some catch about being a "transfer" student or a "junior" when entering after doing the PSEO.

Still, he's a good soccer play, but I don't expect to see "RITE KID OF FITE AND BITE EARNS $250,000,000 CONTRACT WITH REAL MADRID"

chuckle.

Soccers secondary, imo, to $30,000 in our pockets.

Last night Rite said he is planning on doing PSEO because it is a sure thing and he said he felt as if some pressure lifted about the valedictorian and Stanford stuff. (ahahaa!! He's thinking like Momma!!)

Then this morning, he said, "I don't know. I've always thought I'd go to Stanford. I know I can do those AP courses." (ohhhhhhhh! not Momma thinking!!!)

It's going to be a looooooong year. I think the AP US History next year may help him set his mind.

This is so much more fun a problem to solve than the trying to get Mite's teacher to comply with the IEP problem. chuckle

notice I'm not even having to remind myself to breathe!!!

Willa Gayle
    S
    S
    How about giving him an assignment this summer of getting in contact with the Stanford folks and seeing if he can work out a deal to transfer there in 2 years (well, 3 years). Or maybe trying to find a faculty mentor.
    Having the right mentor can open LOTS of doors.
    When I got my master's degree - I was offered a full stipend, plus teachings assistantship over the phone. Just by talking to the right person!
    Help him see that each choice is simply a path to where is wants to go - not the final solution. Also, maybe have him map out his entire path to being a doctor. Seeing 2 years cut off of a 10 year program just might be the motivation he needs.
    You definitely want him to feel he is making the decision, but helping him "find" that decision isn't bad either smile

C
    C
    "Last night Rite said he is planning on doing PSEO because it is a sure thing and he said he felt as if some pressure lifted about the valedictorian and Stanford stuff."

That is rather regrettable move. My younger daughter, 13, freshman, wants to go to Stanford too. No particular reason, just because it is close to home. I was hoping that may be they can go to school together. :-)

W
    OP Offline
    W
    They may still, who knows.

I just read up on the PSEO program on the U's web site. It looks like they accept any kid in the 15th%ile and up in their class. So, the guidance counselors info was a little misleading, but maybe I misunderstood her.

Still, it is an incredible program. Distance learning is available, too. So, he doesn't have to be down at the U all the time.

Still processing.....

Willa Gayle
    Willa,
    You might find it of interest...
    http://insidehighered.com/news/2007/02/22/aid
    Ania

W
    OP Offline
    W
    Thank you. That adds a little twist.

You know, I wish we had to make this decision in a week, not a year. It's driving us buggy. chuckle.

Willa Gayle
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Originally Posted by stbmom
    How about giving him an assignment this summer of getting in contact with the Stanford folks and seeing if he can work out a deal to transfer there in 2 years (well, 3 years). Or maybe trying to find a faculty mentor.
    Having the right mentor can open LOTS of doors.
    When I got my master's degree - I was offered a full stipend, plus teachings assistantship over the phone. Just by talking to the right person!
    Help him see that each choice is simply a path to where is wants to go - not the final solution. Also, maybe have him map out his entire path to being a doctor. Seeing 2 years cut off of a 10 year program just might be the motivation he needs.
    You definitely want him to feel he is making the decision, but helping him "find" that decision isn't bad either smile

I like the assignment idea. He wants to contact Stanford and a couple of other schools and find out about transferring and such. I'm not sure who to contact though. We're looking into it.

I found out the other day the UMN doesn't have a soccer team -- major blow to the PSEO points in our discussion. chuckle.

Willa Gayle
    Nowdays there are quite a few schools that are offering concurrent enrollment/ early college experience. So far we have looked at this from the perspective of money. I wonder how top universities are going to compare those students with the ones finishing AP/ IB programs. Any thoughts?
    Ania

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM