Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by MonetFan
    The Clash had a song in which it was sung

"The men at the factory are old and cunning,
    You don't owe nothing, boy get running
    It's the best years of your life they want to steal"

I sometimes see whole grade acceleration in this same light, as we're pushing kids to get to the drudgery of the adult world far sooner than they need to.
    Few gifted children will be getting jobs on assembly lines. The white collar jobs that most will get may not involve more drudgery than being in school.

High schools are warehouses for teenagers. When I went to school, you would be docked a letter grade for skipping a single class. Attendance was taken even for study hall. In my current job in the investment business, I do need to be watching the markets at certain times of the day. But otherwise, if I need to step out to run an errand, I just do it. High school graduation is a day of emancipation, and I am pleased that two of my three children will be emancipated a year early.

Money is freedom. My wife and I spend a lot on our children, providing them everything we think they need and some of the things they want. But those are still our decisions. When my children start earning their own money, they will get to decide what their needs and wants are. Good for them.

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Originally Posted by MonetFan
    I sometimes see whole grade acceleration in this same light, as we're pushing kids to get to the drudgery of the adult world far sooner than they need to.
    Or we could look at it as opening up the world of post-secondary education, travel, and life experience sooner. Graduating (or just leaving, for some of us) high school earlier does not necessarily mean moving into the adult world of work earlier.

But to your main point: I agree that childhood is precious and evanescent, and should be preserved as long as reasonable and practical, all other things being equal.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Money is freedom.

Maybe we're working from different ideas of "freedom."

http://www.gallup.com/poll/175286/hour-workweek-actually-longer-seven-hours.aspx

Salaried workers, on average, work even more, with a full 25% saying they put in at least 60 hours per week. Thus, while workers earning a salary may enjoy greater income than their counterparts who are paid hourly, they do pay a price in lost personal time.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Money is freedom.

Maybe we're working from different ideas of "freedom."

http://www.gallup.com/poll/175286/hour-workweek-actually-longer-seven-hours.aspx

Salaried workers, on average, work even more, with a full 25% saying they put in at least 60 hours per week. Thus, while workers earning a salary may enjoy greater income than their counterparts who are paid hourly, they do pay a price in lost personal time.

Yeah...my salaried husband had a job years ago where he was the general manager and made less per hour than the people he managed. He finally couldn't take it.

B
    B
    Few gifted children will be getting jobs on assembly lines. The white collar jobs that most will get may not involve more drudgery than being in school.
    Not necessarily, my older brother whom I feel is very like my DS worked in blue color jobs for a number of years. I'm can't for sure say he is gifted is but I'm fairly certain he fits the criteria. He could do anything he set his mind to do the problem was figuring out what he wanted to do. He spent quite a few years "finding himself". University didn't work out for him. So to keep himself fed & housed he worked blue colors jobs, while playing in a band and other hobbies that kept himself intellectually stimulated. Eventually, at one of these jobs the boss noticed him, quickly promoted him to manager and eventually head manager. A few years later when the boss wanted to sell my brother figured out how to get loans and bought out the business.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM