Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    I can't imagine explaining to my son that he is not welcome in his school environment--where he was placed bc of gifted ID--for exhibiting gifted behaviors.
    Framed another way, it's not necessarily that *he* is not welcome in school, rather that some of his "gifted" behaviors are not prosocial, but may be seen as off task or disruptive.

Our new strategy is for him to "not even talk at all" with the two teachers who seem most hostile toward him.
    Possibly he may benefit from learning that often people view "being friendly" as something other than pointing out errors. Errors may not be the best subject over which to attempt to create a bond. This may be especially true for authority figures.

It doesn't seem to get under his skin, but it makes me feel sick.
    Parents may get a sinking feeling, often it means there is more to be learned so that future situations may go more smoothly. It is difficult, but beneficial, to remain focused on role modeling behaviors which are in your son's best interests to learn. If parents and teachers are engaged by wounded ego and/or engaged in a power struggle, the child may be caught in the middle rather than being the focus of exploring ways in which to help him learn. It can be helpful to take a step back and develop a somewhat objective, pragmatic view of helping each understand the other and thinking win-win.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    You make a lot of really good sense, indigo. Fwiw--I do not feel there is any sort of power struggle on my part--that's not my angle or style. I've aimed for empathy and patience on all our parts. There are some people who are better at delivering instruction than establishing a relationship with students and that's my take on this situation.

I've been careful to keep my communication descriptive and as objective as possible, but privately I have my own opinion(s) about what makes an effective teacher. I think there's a broad range--but being defensive and narrow-minded will never be on my list. My son has never disliked a teacher. He is as nonjudgmental as they come. I'm having trouble with this one bc she seems to steadfastly refuse any perspective but her own.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    I am in waiting area, and hear a lot of laughter from psych & son...good feeling. She is doing WISC-V and warned me scores would prob be lower since it's new (?)

Also ADOS. Not sure what else. She said there's a plan but she may change midstream depending on observations.

I
    I
    Yes, I've encountered a few like that as well. Sometimes joining a group like the Davidson Educator's Guild may help them be mentored by peers who may be more amenable to gifted, and who may embrace the open-mindedness which is beneficial in teaching.

I
    I
    She is doing WISC-V and warned me scores would prob be lower since it's new (?)
    In general, older IQ tests tend to yield higher scores as each year the scores tend to creep up a bit (Flynn Effect).
    More recently released IQ tests tend to yield lower scores.
    Here is a recent thread on this: Comparing WISC-IV & WISC-V.
    Here is a blog post from Deborah Ruf: The "Flynn Effect" Affects the Gifted Learners Even More... .

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Yes, I've encountered a few like that as well. Sometimes joining a group like the Davidson Educator's Guild may help them be mentored by peers who may be more amenable to gifted, and who may embrace the open-mindedness which is beneficial in teaching.
    This made me giggle. Maybe I should suggest it to her--LOL! She has had no interest any any of my "this is what works best with DS" so far. smile I think she experiences it as an affront. That's another thing that does not compute for me. I've begun to think I have my own ASD traits since things that don't make sense drive me batty.

D
    D
    This made me giggle. Maybe I should suggest it to her--LOL! She has had no interest any any of my "this is what works best with DS" so far. smile I think she experiences it as an affront. That's another thing that does not compute for me. I've begun to think I have my own ASD traits since things that don't make sense drive me batty.

There is def. no ASD in myself or family (there is plenty of other stuff, though) and I completely agree with you. I don't think it is an ASD thing to think that this attitude in a teacher does not make sense.

I
    I
    As you are a teacher, you could also join the ed guild an be among the mentors there. smile

Parents do learn a lot about ourselves as we work to understand our children. smile

E
    OP Offline
    E
    She is doing WISC-V and warned me scores would prob be lower since it's new (?)
    In general, older IQ tests tend to yield higher scores as each year the scores tend to creep up a bit (Flynn Effect).
    More recently released IQ tests tend to yield lower scores.
    Here is a recent thread on this: Comparing WISC-IV & WISC-V.
    Here is a blog post from Deborah Ruf: The "Flynn Effect" Affects the Gifted Learners Even More... .
    This is interesting! Honestly--IQ stuff makes my eyes cross. I'm much more oriented to the "so what." It looks like the "so what" is to take results with grain of salt. I'm most interested in seeing the individual scores and his PSI--which was much lower 30+ points than GAI last time--and evidently can be useful info? So confusing!

I
    I
    Honestly--IQ stuff makes my eyes cross. I'm much more oriented to the "so what." It looks like the "so what" is to take results with grain of salt. I'm most interested in seeing the individual scores and his PSI--which was much lower 30+ points than GAI last time--and evidently can be useful info? So confusing!
    Very simply put, when Full Scale IQ (FSIQ) is believed to be impacted by a low working memory and/or slow processing speed, a General Ability Index (GAI) is calculated. The score discrepancy can be indicative of 2e, leading to prescribed remediation, instructional differences via an Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or accommodations (504).

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM