Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 246 of 268 1 2 244 245 246 247 248 267 268
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    I know what you mean--but I have found that even in places (schools/neighborhoods) that have that reputation there are always plenty of exceptions to the stereotype. I bet you will be able to find some like-minded friends.

That is what I am hoping for; the school does have a reputation for snooty parents and spoiled children but a number of my friends' children went there and my friends aren't snooty and their children are not spoiled. So, hopefully, all will turn out okay.

Last edited by Mana; 05/04/15 01:06 AM.
    Congratulations to your DD!

It is also very encouraging to see that there are still some US colleges that give out actual merit scholarships too.

Become what you are
    D
    D
    Congrats to brilliantcp! That is wonderful. We are laying the groundwork for our dd to make a similar decision. Madeinuk, yes, lots of kids from my daughter's high school get merit scholarships. And my cousin's daughter just got a full ride at Johns Hopkins. (60k/yr)

D
    D
    OK so trying not to have disappeared for a year and then monopolize brag thread with tales of my dd but this one is great. Her high school orchestra is extremely competitive--last year the highest level was one of only 5 schools to win a national award. It was quite an achievement for her to make the 2nd highest of 7 levels as a freshman. She was determined to make the highest level this year and did practice- very hard (although truthfully, perhaps not as hard as she should have) but then had strep the week of auditions, missed her private lesson, was trying to practice with a 102 fever, and was still feeling yucky the day of the audition. But I think she thought she did ok and was very disappointed to find out she hadn't made it. But instead of being discouraged she decided to work harder and commit to practicing 100 days in a row again, and to add at least 15 minutes to practice time. So 30 days into this the director calls her in and tells her he decided he is moving her up to the highest level, that the audition clearly didn't reflect what she is capable of and he wants her in the highest group. I was so proud of how she handled the setback even before this good news--but what a wonderful affirmation that her hard work was recognized! She really loves the orchestra program and this will be such a positive experience and stretch her in a way she wouldn't have been in the lower level. Thanks for listening!

N
    N
    That is a good director, deacon girl. And so proud of your daughter for kicking it up a notch...or two!

Congrats on the college acceptances. So wonderful when they have options and make good choices, what's right for THEM.

S
    S
    DD8 (golly! I have to get used to her being 8!) finished reading Romeo and Juliet this morning, with me. She wanted to do activities with it (from my teaching files I let her peruse a couple weeks ago). So she did a creative writing assignment and then she took the unit exam, for fun, and aced it (The test was one I used for 9 Honors). I know her teacher is uninterested in this type of enrichment we do on homeschool days, so I had to tell you all!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by St. Margaret
    DD8 (golly! I have to get used to her being 8!) finished reading Romeo and Juliet this morning, with me. She wanted to do activities with it (from my teaching files I let her peruse a couple weeks ago). So she did a creative writing assignment and then she took the unit exam, for fun, and aced it (The test was one I used for 9 Honors). I know her teacher is uninterested in this type of enrichment we do on homeschool days, so I had to tell you all!
    That is great! My 14 yr old would love to hang out and talk Shakepeare with her!

S
    S
    Thanks, deacongirl! I'm thinking of starting a Shakespeare or drama club at her school, or just for homeschoolers...

T
    T
    Congrats to everyone!
    At DS8s elementary, they made every kid participate in a maths competition where they have to solve maths problems in teams of three (put together by the teacher, so it was very interesting what teams she'd come up with) and present their solutions to a jury. DS was very stressed by this, particularly as the teacher made no bones about expecting him and his team to compete at the district level - not exactly unbiased, was she? - but since she wasn't on the school jury, I guess who cares....
    Even though there was some friction in his team (both of the other kids are his friends but can't stand each other, and one was even more reluctant to compete than he was, while the third was all gung-ho) they managed to work together (I told DS it was his job to integrate the team!) and win at the school level. Now they will compete at district level - during the week they are at sleepaway camp! Apparently the school where the district competition will be held is only 3 miles away so one mom has agreed to drive the half hour to camp, take the to the competition and back while the camp activities will be put on hold.
    My usually anxiety ridden DS, so far, is taking it all in stride.
    And he's started serving as an altar boy!
    I am so very proud of how he is dealing with all these expectations, all the while being the youngest everywhere.

Last edited by Tigerle; 05/03/15 11:40 PM.
    B
    B
    My 2nd son, 9yo and in 4th grade, earned SCAT scores that qualified him for High Honors. He did especially well in math, scoring in the 99th percentile for 6th graders. We went twice to the CTY regional awards ceremony for his elder brother, and he also wanted to be recognized in the ceremony -- and feast on the chocolate chip cookies they provide smile. In two years, on to the SAT!

Page 246 of 268 1 2 244 245 246 247 248 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM