Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    A lot of these gifted schools seem to want the same type of student - high achieving, high output, and with a high IQ as a measure of intelligence. This would include Sage, Acera/Anova, and other schools like perhaps BBN.

The 'other' gifted schools seem to do a better job at catering to kids with ADHD, SPD, dyslexia, Asperger's, etc. -- who are operating a grade or two above their chronological peers. These schools (Sudbury, Phoenix, Clark and others - maybe Odyssey too) fall more under this category.

BUT the numbers of gifted kids who meet these guidelines and have parents willing to pay the tuition isn't probably high - especially within certain geographical locations. That's been my experience; my ds has been in two g/t schools here.

That's why a number of the g/t schools will accept kids who are not g/t or 2e regardless. There's just not enough of larger pool of students to draw from unless they're centrally located or positioned to draw from a larger population based or population base who has the money to pay for the tuition. With increasing fees and tuition, many families are seeing un/homeschooling as a viable alternative.

T
    T
    cdfox, that's not true. It's been a while since you were investigating schools, and you son has some fairly challenging needs doesn't he? I am guessing that you, like me, ask questions specific to your kids needs, so you may have been mostly concerned with them being able to deal with his behaviours in a classroom setting to really notice whether they were high output or high IQ or whatever. Just like I mostly care about (not) high output and differentiation.

For some kids, a classroom is just not going to work. For example, from Odyssey's website
    While Odyssey Day School can successfully accommodate a wide range of learning styles and abilities, not everyone will benefit from our program. Children whose needs are beyond the scope of our services may be denied admission. In some cases, an interview, supplementary visits, or testing may be required before making a determination.

Sage: middling IQ, high output
    Acera: high IQ
    BBN: high output
    Odyssey: normal IQ
    Phoenix: normal IQ
    Sudbury: democratic community, I wouldn't call it a school, but yes, it's good for severe ADHD.

It would blow your mind to know how many kids with high (including very high) IQs and other needs not too severe to preclude a classroom there are in this area, certainly not so few that a school has to go out searching for them.

Last edited by Tallulah; 05/03/15 11:17 AM.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    Q. What is the profile of a good candidate for Sage?
    A. We are seeking students with IQs one standard deviation above the mean, who are inquisitive, creative, and desire additional academic challenge.

Q. How are admission decisions made?
    A. The review process for candidates involves an analysis of IQ score with special attention to not only intellectual capacity but also processing speed. This tells us whether the child will be comfortable tackling our rigorous curriculum. Equally important is the social visit of the child. Through this process, we are able to determine whether his/her potential classmates are a good match. We want our students to be challenged appropriately while being comfortable with social interactions at school.

I can see the appeal for a school of having a class full of very similar kids, bright but fast. It would be so much easier than differentiating.

It's interesting though, they have a reputation as a gifted school, but according to this they select against kids who meet the common criterion of being at least 2 SD above the mean. Would a child with an IQ of 115 even have trouble at a normal school? Faaascinating!

Well that's eye-opening about Sage. If the 115 is the cutoff then perhaps the average is 125. On the other hand, that's not that different from the honors/AP track students in many schools throughout MA.

Tallulah - I am think you misunderstood my point. There are schools that use IQ scores and seem to subscribe to the notion that IQ has meaning. There are 'other' schools that are not so IQ dependent.

Admissions decisions at those 'other' schools are not solely based on IQ. They use other means of assessment. They also tend to accept kids who are not g/t because as I mentioned - there simply isn't the amount of g/t kids within certain geographical cache areas to support having a solely g/t school based on strict parameters like IQ and without kids who are 2e as well. I just spoke to the Waring School in Bev about this last week and with others within the last year; Waring School has had musical prodigies and other g/t have attended there as well.

There are many reasons why some schools may be better suited for a particular child than others. Some g/t schools are more traditionally structured; others less so. Some kids will struggle more with a traditional setting; others will excel in it. It really depends on the child.

Parents can get caught up in the numbers with IQ or other assessments but lose sight of the whole picture with schools (gifted or not). It's easily done. There are many variables to school regardless - the teachers, the curriculum, the delivery and presentation of subjects, how structured or not the school is, the other students, and it goes on and on. Some variables, you can control. Others you cannot.

T
    T
    Sorry, calling them 'gifted schools' threw me off. But the high output label didn't apply correctly, either.

You are right, I agree, that only Sage and Acera have the IQ test cutoff. But, for people with kids far from the mean those cutoffs really help enrich the population with peers for our kids. It's definitely better to have a progressive school (that's a technical education word, apparently) than your average public or output focussed school, but it's still not too useful if your five year old needs to be in with seven year olds. A progressive school with a hefty proportion of the students working a few years ahead is magic, and I'll bet you can't find it in too many other parts of the country.

Even those schools don't use the IQ score as the only measure, it's just the base you need in order to apply. Deciding who to admit or not admit is then based on other things.

Mithawk, I know! They certaInly don't bill themselves that way. I'd guess that Newton or Lexington would have a higher average IQ than that and/or be working at the same level. I don't know why you'd pay for private when the same environment can be found at public (for only a modest increase in your mortgage wink )

Last edited by Tallulah; 05/03/15 04:48 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    I'd guess that Newton or Lexington would have a higher average IQ than that and/or be working at the same level.
    Yup. Spent some time in Brookline, where there were kids measured in the 110s across the board (cognitive and academic) still receiving special ed services.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by suelyon
    OP is correct that Sage is a competitive high achiever type of school.

I noticed that Sage said they specifically looked at processing speed and gathered that meant they wanted kids who produced a lot of output. My kid is not like that.

in our house processing speed and output are not correlated.

U
    U
    Aeh -- So in a typical Brookline high school class, how many kids might be 99.9%tile types?

I've always wondered if there is ever a meaningful cohort of HG/PG kids in elite public (non-magnet) schools.

UlH

Last edited by Ultralight Hiker; 05/03/15 07:28 PM.
    D
    D
    I don't know about Brookline, but I would say that yes, at my daughter's elite, public, non-magnet school there is a meaningful cohort.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I don't have group data on that, just anecdotes. I'd guess more than 0.1 %, though. I do know that Brookline is among the systems that actually has a protocol (or did at the time) for early admission to kindergarten, heavily weighted toward the cognitive assessment. (WPPSI and WJ achievement, at the time.) And that some kids were able to get gifted pullout in elementary on the basis of an interview, history, and observation, without testing. Of course, it's been a few years, so things could have changed.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM