Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 161 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    jayta Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Yes the EXIQ scores can go really high, so I guess DD only went a little above the ceiling.

Tippy I hope the counselling helps your son. I have heard there a few public schools in the Sydney area that are really good with gifted kids. I'm not sure if you have looked into those?

We are trying to decide whether to early enter or not atm.

T
    T
    Jayta we did early enter DS into a public school - and we had a meeting with them at the end of last year prior to him starting. They were very supportive and open to acceleration etc eventhough they have never dealt with an exceptionally gifted child. He so far has somewhat been accelerated subject-wise but he isn't cooperating too much with the teacher and socially things really are not going too well. DS is really into strategy games and his teacher said he is very different to the other children, so academically and socially it really can't hurt to accelerate him. But we have run into some unexpected problems at school due to sensory issues and fears that he has. So really we are desperate to get this counselling going so we can make things better for him at school.

We have heard of a school that is good with gifted kids but DS has an older sister at his school already who is highly gifted - with a more uneven profile. But she has a couple of very good friendships at this school - and it will be very hard for me to have them at different schools (with getting them to and from school).
    So I have to weigh up trying to make things work at this school for DS versus disrupting his older sister and making her move schools too. She already has anxiety issues so I really don't want to disrupt her.

Good luck with your decision to early enter or not - we really felt we had to send DS to school early as he was completely fed up with the boredom of preschool and "baby stuff".

E
    E
    Originally Posted by jayta
    Yes the EXIQ scores can go really high, so I guess DD only went a little above the ceiling.

So she's in the attic, not the roof? wink

T
    T
    It's just a pity there are so few people up there.

Originally Posted by Tippy
    If you are in Sydney it must be the same psyc Jayta. And it's interesting the psyc then used the extended norms but only at your request. I guess though that if the extended norms on the SB5 never give a much higher score than 160 for anyone then it's not possible to distinguish between exceptionally and profoundly gifted using the SB5 - at least in the way it was possible with the Stanford Binet l-m?
    145 is PG according to Davidson and Hoagies.

T
    T
    Tallulah - it is confusing because in Australia it seems 145+ (Or > 99.9th percentile) is classified as exceptionally gifted and the term profoundly gifted isn't used - perhaps because the newer Iq tests won't differentiate much beyond 160. It probably doesn't matter anyhow but I still feel a bit curious about the usefulness of the Extended IQ.t

J
    jayta Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    So she's in the attic, not the roof? wink

that is a good way to put it grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent