Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 247 of 268 1 2 245 246 247 248 249 267 268
    That's great, Bostonian! Congrats to him on the excellent performance. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    Congratulations to your DS, Bostonian! That is wonderful!

Very nice!

BTW, I never took the SAT - what level of Maths do the questions go up to? Wondering when my DD10 will be ready to try it...

Become what you are
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Very nice!

BTW, I never took the SAT - what level of Maths do the questions go up to? Wondering when my DD10 will be ready to try it...
    Started a new thread -- Preparing for the new math SAT

D
    DrH Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by brilliantcp
    Two brags in one for May 1st (college choice deadline in the US)

DD was accepted to several universities including one out of state "DREAM SCHOOL" (think west coast ivy equivalent) and is choosing the solid, mid-tier, east coast state school that offered her a full out of state tuition merit scholarship. Super proud of her for earning a merit scholarship, even prouder of her for being mature enough to see that taking on over $200K in student loan debt would have a long term impact on her future choices.

So glad to have this forum where I can just say that she got a merit scholarship and got into DREAMY U without doing my "humble brag" routine.

Only hope she knows what she plans on doing in the future and is aware that even though her choice seems the most sensible that in some instances it actually isn't... but that all depends on what she plans on doing in the future. I recall a classmate in graduate school was interviewing for positions with a big management consulting firm and was told flat out that while her grades were great and her experience was good, that her undergrad was from Rutgers and that was the reason that they wouldn't be offering her a job... And that was even though she was coming out of a top 3 MBA program.

So remember that in some fields they are actually so shallow that they will look at where you went to school.

B
    B
    Hey DrH,
    Since we're about to veer off bragging into another subject, I'm starting a new thread.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by brilliantcp
    Hey DrH,
    Since we're about to veer off bragging into another subject, I'm starting a new thread.
    The discussion can be continued in the thread Where You Go Is Not Who You'll Be.

M
    M
    So excited today! DS was elected school president!

While we are thrilled that his fellow classmates look up to him, we are still not sure how he became so popular--he doesn't play sports, or participate in any school activities, has no social media accounts, and barely sees his classmates outside of school. The first inkling we had that could win was when elections were announced a month ago and a few kids spontaneously started running in the halls yelling "Vote for DS".

F
    F
    Congrats to mithawk's son!!

DS earned the Cub Scout Super Nova award as a Bear. He said he thinks he wants to earn it again next year (he has about 18 months to do so) it again as a Webelos.

We also found out when the paperwork was turned in, that his mentor doesn't have to be from our pack. At council they will match the boy up with an adult who is in the STEM field that interests the boy. I sure hope there is a math professor out there to mentor DS!

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    DS7 was voted camper of the week by his counselors last week. It's an outdoorsy type day camp that has a lot of campers. The letters written to him by his counselors and camp director were really thoughtful. He was recognized for having a positive attitude, being inclusive, respectful and kind. The director told him he was "one of the most thoughtful and caring individuals" she was ever met.

He has always had this special quality to him that's hard to explain. It's like super empathy.

Page 247 of 268 1 2 245 246 247 248 249 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM