Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 245 of 268 1 2 243 244 245 246 247 267 268
    B
    B
    Not a huge brag but it still feels good.

But I'm excited because DS16's math teacher (pre-calc) wrote a very nice email (out of the blue) to me yesterday telling me how proud she is to have him in her class and how well he is doing. I have no idea what brought this one but I'm not complaining. So nice to hear from a teacher when things are going well instead of poorly.

Last edited by bluemagic; 04/25/15 01:50 PM.
    C
    C
    DS5's alternative/eclectic preschool has an immersion mandarin class (one of the reasons we thought it was cool and chose it in the first place!) We know that DS can say a ton of numbers in mandarin (to at least 999) and can write...at least to a hundred, maybe higher, I don't know. But he won't really show us anything else that he has learned...so we honestly have had no idea if he's been learning anything else in that class. But yesterday, DS's mandarin teacher came up to us out of the blue, wanting to give us IPad apps to download for home for DS to do more advanced work, and told us that he is at the top of the class - he came in knowing nothing this year, and only goes 3 days a week - and she said that he is now at the level of (and beyond) the top students (who have been there for 3 years). She said he can say sentences, knows a lot of vocab, songs and more. Not only were we proud (naturally), but it felt really nice to know that even when we aren't doing anything supplementary at home (because DH and I know literally nothing about mandarin), he can thrive and excel at a subject. Also, this might be feel extra nice coming off the heels of a relative who is 'convinced' that our PG son is only the way he is because he has decided that we push and drill him. SIGH... some people, right?

Also, congrats deacongirl, on your DD's acceptance - is it theatre program or literature? I have always loved reading Shakespeare, but performing his works is even more incredible, IMO (but maybe I say that because I'm a performer lol)...so much depth, humor and richness in his beautiful words laugh

Last edited by Marnie; 04/25/15 02:10 PM.
    S
    S
    DD participated in the big student Shakespeare festival today. She went on a stage and performed a monologue quite well, we thought.

Meanwhile I was going around trying to make the aquaintence of the parents of other young girls performing. I was like, these are your people! Other 7-9 year olds who love Shakespeare!

D
    D
    Bluemagic that is great, and a good reminder to this future teacher to take the time to share positives with parents. Marnie that is really cool about the mandarin. They are doing Macbeth, which dd is already calling the Scottish play because she doesn't want to mess up in the theatre, lol. It is acting--every day for month from 9-4--staging the play and lots of classes, then 3 performances. It should be a great experience.

St. Margaret, how wonderful! Glad she could find her people! That is awesome. My dd hasn't really found other kids who love Shakespeare yet, so I think it will be cool for her to spend a month with peers who do.

M
    M
    DD beat all the odds and was accepted to a private school that was her first choice. We were hoping for some type of financial aid based on needs but apparently, we are not quite poor enough. Instead, they offered us a partial scholarship based on her potential. They had many kind things to say about her and I thought they were talking about another child.

We need to come up with the remainder of the tuition but I think we don't really have much of a choice here. We are relieved that DD gets to go to the school she wanted to go to and even more relieved that the school seems to recognize her unique learning abilities.

D
    D
    Congrats Mana! That must be a great relief. I know it is hard to come up with the tuition. It was a big sacrifice for us for our dd's elementary years but it was worth it.

B
    B
    Two brags in one for May 1st (college choice deadline in the US)

DD was accepted to several universities including one out of state "DREAM SCHOOL" (think west coast ivy equivalent) and is choosing the solid, mid-tier, east coast state school that offered her a full out of state tuition merit scholarship. Super proud of her for earning a merit scholarship, even prouder of her for being mature enough to see that taking on over $200K in student loan debt would have a long term impact on her future choices.

So glad to have this forum where I can just say that she got a merit scholarship and got into DREAMY U without doing my "humble brag" routine.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    Congrats Mana! That must be a great relief. I know it is hard to come up with the tuition. It was a big sacrifice for us for our dd's elementary years but it was worth it.

Thank you! I hope we'd feel the same way at the end. I still have a lot of reservations about the school DD4 has chosen but trying to convince her that another school is a better choice would be a HUGE uphill battle at this point. It's a "country club" school and we are not country club people so it'd be interesting to see how it goes.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Originally Posted by deacongirl

Thank you! I hope we'd feel the same way at the end. I still have a lot of reservations about the school DD4 has chosen but trying to convince her that another school is a better choice would be a HUGE uphill battle at this point. It's a "country club" school and we are not country club people so it'd be interesting to see how it goes.

I know what you mean--but I have found that even in places (schools/neighborhoods) that have that reputation there are always plenty of exceptions to the stereotype. I bet you will be able to find some like-minded friends.

A
    A
    Congrats to everyone's children! Lots of exciting news all around!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 245 of 268 1 2 243 244 245 246 247 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM