Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (philly103), 0 Guests and 239 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Clara Tim, markhogue, John Henderson, wm97, oliviazimmerman
    10844 Registered Users
    October
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30 31
    Page 82 of 102 < 1 2 ... 80 81 82 83 84 ... 101 102 >
    Topic Options
    #213885 - 04/07/15 01:30 PM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: ultramarina]
    Cookie Offline

Originally Posted By: ultramarina
    We still use French here. It's funny because neither parent is that good at it anymore.

That is actually a good code...bad French!

#213888 - 04/07/15 02:18 PM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: ultramarina]
    Can2K Offline

Unfortunately for us, we've gone and sent the kids to French immersion, so that option is out. :-(

Good thing they haven't yet hacked into our emails!!

#213903 - 04/08/15 09:22 AM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    HowlerKarma Offline

Ohhhh, give it time.

The nice thing about this is that if you ever forget a password (my DH and I are both horrible about this), just ask the child. She always knows.

It was a little embarrassing having to ask one's 10yo what the password was for the tax software the following year, however...

blush

#215072 - 04/27/15 06:46 PM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    Kombre Offline

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I regularly have to ask my 8 yr old for my library card number and parking spot number in a garage.

And another one - he told me a few days ago that the reason he's good at tag is that other kids just "scramble around" but he pictures the angle associated with where another kid is running and then goes there to cut off the kid.

#215073 - 04/27/15 06:51 PM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    Mana Offline

Your 4 year old loses iPad privileges and she does everything she can think of to earn them back because she wants to do Dragon Box apps.

#215074 - 04/27/15 07:16 PM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    aeh Offline

Personally, I find it both handy and vastly amusing that I have my kids to turn to for assistance on many things. I still remember driving home one night from some place I had just been to for the first time, and debating whether I should or should not turn at the upcoming intersection, when, from the back seat, I hear the two-year-old pipe up, "Turn left here!" Correctly, of course.

And, HK, your story reminds me of my parents' solution to the tax question, which was to turn the entire tax filing process over to the ten-year-old...

#215083 - 04/28/15 06:35 AM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    Dude Offline

Been there. DD and DW preceded me on an interstate holiday by a week, and as I was making the trip, I ran into severe traffic. After more than an hour of going nearly nowhere, and needing to know whether I was nearing the incident or needed to find an alternate path, I phoned DW and tried to guide her through her sister's Apple Maps to the traffic view. Ten frustrating minutes of dealing with both DW and her adult sister later, DD came to my rescue by seizing the phone, flipped immediately to the right features, asking, "Where's Dad?", locating my position correctly on the map, and handing it back to DW, who only had left to tell me the location of the incident.

DD turned 5 the following month.

#215174 - 04/28/15 06:29 PM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    madeinuk Offline

Loc: NJ
    You buy a Roku box and sign up for Netflix and Amazon Prime not for the movies and hit series but for the commercial free and seemingly infinite documentaries to show your 6 year old daughter.

#215238 - 04/29/15 11:56 AM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    ultramarina Offline

Quote:
    I regularly have to ask my 8 yr old for my library card number and parking spot number in a garage.

One of DD's jobs when we fly is to remember where we left the car in long-term parking (Red lot, spot 96)

#215302 - 04/30/15 10:54 AM Re: You know you're parenting a gifted child when... [Re: aquinas]
    Ivy Offline

DD has been navigating for me since she was a toddler. Thank goodness she has her father's sense of direction.

Page 82 of 102 < 1 2 ... 80 81 82 83 84 ... 101 102 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Career/taking control of my life at 26
    by raphael
    14 minutes 10 seconds ago
    URL for NWEA 2015 MAP score/percentile converter
    by philly103
    25 minutes 11 seconds ago
    Full time in person learning-accommodati
    on for ADD

by OCJD