Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #2153 02/24/07 12:18 AM
    A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    DS4 has been tested for a gifted program at The College of William & Mary. They don't use a full battery of tests only 2 parts of Wechsler and 2 parts of WJ-III.

Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence � Third Edition
    Subtest Scaled Score Percentile Rank Qualitative Range
    Block Design 10 50 Average (he built a house w/blocks)
    Vocabulary 14 91 Superior

Woodcock-Johnson Tests of Achievement (WJ-III)
    Subtest Standard Score for Age Percentile Rank for Age Qualitative Range
    Letter-Word Identification 203 99.9 Superior
    Applied Problems 139 99.5 Superior

He has had 2 classes so far and loves it! He also goes to preschool for 3 hours 2 days a week. He loves playing with the other kids but has become very disruptive during class time. He has told me it's boring. I have tried to explain to him that everybody has to do some things that are boring (try vacuuming...) and if he wants to play with his friends he has to cooperate. His birthday is 12/11 and I am having a very hard time even finding a private school that will allow him to enter early. The only one I can find is a glorified 1/2 day daycare *more toys then education* and they want over $4000/year!

He loves to be with other kids so I'm not sure if homeschooling will meet his social need, but I think he will become frustrated and bored if his mind goes unchallenged.

I feel very overwhelmed by this decision. I truly want his first experience in school to be wonderful. I'm not sure if this is possible. (Sorry this is sooooo long)

#2155 02/24/07 01:36 PM
    W
    W
    You have one intelligent little guy there and this decision is exactly why these forums exist. Trying to provide for our children's need for intellectual stimulation and their delicate emotional systems is quite the task and even if you hit the "right school", you'll be making these decisions over and over again. I find that even though I have chosen to keep my son in public school for now, I'm daily thinking about and often visiting other schools to find better options.

For your son, if you enjoy teaching him and guiding his learning, then homeschooling does not necessarily limit social interaction with age group peers. Is there a homeschooling coop in your area? Joining a coop provides a friendship group and support group for both you and your son.

Does your state allow partial homeschool partial school time? Our state allows you to do that. We can teach math and language arts at home and send him to school for p.e., art, science...etc. Or vice versa.

Just some thoughts....

Willa Gayle
    A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    One of my DH's major concerns is that he is very small for his age (he comes by it honest ;-) ) and we think that he will be a real target for bullies. He also is not elegible to attend public school 1st grade until 9/09. At the rate he learns I assume he will be doing at least 3rd if not 4th grade work. He is very funny that he will insists on learning something and then takes a couple of days to digest, then he has more questions. Thank God for the interent!! He wanted to know how toilets worked the other day, now it's sewer systems. I've learned alot this week (more then I cared to know LOL).

I think if I can get over being scared and overwhelmed, homeschooling is the best option. I will also have to become much better organized! I spoke with a counselor at W&M today and I think what we may do is try it out for a year and see how it goes.

Thanks so much for the support and reply.

#2159 02/24/07 05:27 PM
    W
    W
    One thing to remember is you are not "set in stone" when you try out something different. If homeschooling doesn't work, you can change.

Check out the "Unschooling" philosophy if you want to progress at his natural pace.

The internet is MARVO for life, but exceptionally helpful to the homeschooler, too. I don't think there would be so many homeschoolers if it weren't for the internet.

Willa Gayle
    D
    D
    Hi Rocksea,

Parents often fret over the �small for his age issue�, but in my observation, that is less a concern than being far removed intellectually. My son was large at birth and is tall for his age (90th percentile). Even though he is young for his grade, you wouldn�t know it by looking at him. He is still ostracized by over 50% of his classmates. The reason is that he has many of the characteristic traits of children who qualify for the Davidson Institute YS program often have. He is not intellectually close to average. Even though he blends in physically, the other children have realized from day 3 that he is �different� and have treated him accordingly.

This is not to say he has no friends. He has a couple good friends and a few buddies. My advice is to early entrance or grade advance your son as early as possible to maximize the opportunity to bond with kids who are closer to his mental age. I think children are thwarted in their efforts to bully someone who is physically different by teachers and parents. I don�t believe that bullying based on the fact that another child is intellectually advanced is similarly discouraged.

S
    S
    Are there any Montessori schools in your area? Since all classes are multiaged he could do some activities with peers and also progress on his own.
    I have only researched Montessori as our son will not officially start until this summer, but a true Montessori may give your son an opportunity to be around other kids, but also progress at his own rate.

As far as being a target for bullies, honestly bullies target all children. If not because of size, because of being too smart, not smart enough, glasses, not the right clothing, etc.

Finding a private school for gifted kids is a real challenge, we looked at schools for our son and there are some in our area charging $15,000 for Kindergarten- and those aren't even truly for the gifted. If you read Genus Denied you know that 1/2 of all highly gifted children are homeschooled and we are just assuming we will homeschool at least part time. But, in the meantime we are going to give Montessori a try since our ds is just 16 months now. He is like your son with a birthday past the school cut off, and our area doesn't allow early entry either- so I really feel your pain.
    You have a very special young man and a lot of planning to do. Find great support and know the traditional route will never work for your son. Creativity will be key and getting good advice from parents of nongifted children may not work. Find great support from folks that have walked where you are going!

stbmom #2163 02/24/07 10:34 PM
    A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    Yes there are Montessori schools and I've learned that not all are the same. The more I read about on sites like this and SENG and Hoagies' the more I realize how hard I will have to fight to try to keep him in a traditional setting. I have been reading every book I can get my hands on and have talked to everyone who will listen. I have yet to hear any good news associated with school. The more I read the more I realize that I'm gifted too. I hated school. It was hell and I spent most of my teen years stoned because I just couldn't stand the boredom anymore. My family just wanted me to fit in and conform, so I became average. I watch my son learn and I see the light in his eyes and I NEVER want that taken away from him. I love my son more then I ever dreamed I could love anything and what my family and society did (with good intentions) I never want my son to have to endure. I realize I can't protect him forever, but I want to give him a chance to become stronger in his confidence of his abilities. He is so outgoing, funny, trusting, and loving. It took me a long time to make peace and realize that I can do anything I put my mind to, to get my spirit back. Maybe once I get him on the right track I'll become a lobbiest for the gifted. For now I need to protect my son.

Sorry if this is strong. I am just so saddened that we all have to fight to allow these wonderful children with such amazing gifts to become what God had intended them to be.

#2165 02/26/07 06:14 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Rocksea, do you live by a university (is William & Mary commutable?)--sometimes they operate schools for children of faculty and have innovative programs. That might be a good option.

Last year my son was 4 and I sent him to preschool for socialization. It was half day and he enjoyed singing and stories, crafts, etc. When he'd get home, we'd have lunch and then do a little academics (reading/math)using workbooks. My son enjoyed it and it became routine. That way he progressed even though there was nothing available in school to "challenge" him academically. He skipped kindergarten and started out in 1st grade this year, which was great. At Christmas he switched to a multi-age class and can work at his own pace (now at 3rd grade reading and 4th grade math). My boys are all very average size (50%) so skipping makes them the smallest in the class--very noticeable in middle school when kids go through puberty and grow a foot in a year. My oldest son is much smaller than his classmates, including the girls, and I'm sure he has some issues with it. I witnessed him being teased by classmates and asked if it bothers him and he said "Yes". However, he didn't let it show to them and soon they stopped and moved on. I guess I feel it presents another challenge to a kid who needs to be challenged (if not academically, then socially, or a combo of the two). Everything comes so easily to him, that it's not a bad thing to have an obstacle or two. Plus, in another year or two, his height disparity won't be so noticeable. (I was amazed that he tried out for 8th grade basketball--what courage! The other boys were absolute giants and my heart raced about him getting trampled...but he didn't. He didn't make the team, as I probably knew he wouldn't, but he really thought he could--just incredible how "big" they see themselves).

cym #2166 02/26/07 08:15 AM
    Hi Rocksea!
    congratulations on your son testing in to the program!
    Tell more about it - how often does it meet? are there lots of other kids his age there? What schools do they go to?

I also was "dragged out of the Gifted Closet" by my son. Bless them! And bless us for "trying something different."

Is there any staff at your son's gifted program who can talk to you about homeschooling? Did they help you understand the test scores?

Best Wishes,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    Here's the link to W & M program; http://cfge.wm.edu/sep.php They call it Saturday enrichment program (SEP). It is 3 hours on Sat. morning. They also have summer programs. They start with 4 year olds and since my son truned 4 in Dec. he just started, they have about 12-15 kids per class and offer 2-3 classes per age group. He is taking one of 3 different programs offered to 4-5 y.o., called All About You, it is about how your body works. We have been looking at a lot of anatomy books at the library to suppliment the course. During the class they have had lectures for the parents. The first one was about gifted kids, the lecturer was the women that is in charge of gifted programs in the area. She spoke at length about different children and misdiagnosis and she always tried to end with but then we taught the kids how to cope. When they got to the question and answer I was extremely disheartened by the fact that all the parents did was explain how frustrated they were and the need for a better fit. All the lecturer did was ask the parents to be patient and try harder. I asked about homeschooling and was told that I should try to accomodate his needs and not isolate his talents. This weekend the lecture was about teen fitting in and I didn't attend because my son is only 4. I have to say that Jackson adores going to college and they are so adorable sitting at the desks with their feet barely over the edge of the seat and their chins on the desks! We are also having big conversations on the potty about the stuff coming out!

I would love for someone to please explain his test scores! I have shown them to a couple of educators and they say "Ohh he's smart". The same reaction at some private schools I have toured. Exactly how smart is he? Should I have him take the whole battery so I can have an IQ? My opinion is that an IQ number is not going to change a thing right now. I would love to know what range he is in. I think there is a part of me that is scared to know. Can I really keep up with his abilities? Hmmm I guess we will find out.... LOL

Thanks for all the replies...

#2169 02/26/07 10:14 AM
    LOL about not going to the teen issues lecture! How else are you going to find babysitters and local BTDT parents? ((gentle teasing intended))

Did the lecturer offer for you to contact her for more information? If so I would see if she would meet your son, and see if any of the area gifted programs would be a good suppliment to homeschooling for him.

Saturdays, Summers and one half day at a local pull-out program, one evening a week for chess club, plus sports and boy scouts/ religious / martial arts, sounds like enough social time for anyone!
    ((I'm being a bit flip, but there are some grains of truth here, yes? And I figured that what you probably need right now is to feel "usual" which is the message I'm trying to send, however subtly or unsubtly))

Best Wishes,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    I'm not ready to know about gifted teens!!! *lalala with fingers in ears* There are parents that travel up to 2 hours to this program, thank goodness we are only 20 min. away. The lecturer didn't seem to be in favor of homeschooling at all and gave me the impression that she felt the public school system would do a much better job them I could ever do. (Don't throw down a dare... I'm as stubborn as they come.) I don't think as a NYC girl I will EVER feel usual here in se VA! I'm starting to think that if I'm going to stand out I may as well just get it over with and start wearing bright purple with red lipstick and playing a tuba! hmm all shopping opportunites!! There is a huge military population here and many of these families homeschool. I'm hoping to start networking and find a coop. I was a geology major and love science/math, my DH loves history/music so we can cover most of the subjects but I would like to do it in a group setting.

Thanks so much for the help! Nancy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM