Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    D
    D
    I am so glad for you the principal was responsive. I hope that your son has a much better year next year. Stories like this are what motivates me to keep going to get a degree in education so I can help students like your son. He is lucky to have you in his corner!

P
    P
    did the teacher just give him an averaged participation grade for the days he wasn't there? I don't know how I feel about it because I have never heard of a participation grade but I can see a teacher may think it odd that the kid gets his best grades when he isn't there. Why are US schools so punitive about absences? Do they want sick kids to come and share their germs?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    I think there are some good things in the current 504 but it needs some serious tweaking. You just never think that people will do the wrong/unsupportive/cruel thing. Or at least I don't...
    Live and learn. Some have found that using precise language and being focused on facts (although detractors may term it pedantic), may create the most easily understood 504s, not subject to re-interpretation which may change intent. These resources share useful information for creating a 504.

Regarding late work being marked down, you may wish to check the class syllabus, parent/student handbook, and/or school policy and practice statements to see if there were statements to notify about this proactively and manage expectations. This could potentially be modified by your child's 504 plan.

You may wish to document the encounter with the principal, including a list of the e-mails which you shared with him. It is not unheard of for an administrator to appear to flip-flop and become rather protective of the system (possibly after the legal department is consulted). You may wish to ask him about such things as: next steps, when he will get back to you after reviewing the circumstances to-date, etc. You may wish to state up-front that your goal is to ensure your child can continue in the program.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by puffin
    did the teacher just give him an averaged participation grade for the days he wasn't there? I don't know how I feel about it because I have never heard of a participation grade but I can see a teacher may think it odd that the kid gets his best grades when he isn't there. Why are US schools so punitive about absences? Do they want sick kids to come and share their germs?

I don't know what the rationale is. When my older son had a 504 for OHI (seizure disorder) the teachers weren't allowed to count participation points against the grade when absences were disability related. They didn't give points--they adjusted the total possible. That seems more fair, for any child, to me. Sick kids shouldn't be at school. Absences would create natural consequences, grade-wise, anyhow...one would think.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Regarding late work being marked down, you may wish to check the class syllabus, parent/student handbook, and/or school policy and practice statements to see if there were statements to notify about this proactively and manage expectations. This could potentially be modified by your child's 504 plan.

You may wish to document the encounter with the principal, including a list of the e-mails which you shared with him. It is not unheard of for an administrator to appear to flip-flop and become rather protective of the system (possibly after the legal department is consulted). You may wish to ask him about such things as: next steps, when he will get back to you after reviewing the circumstances to-date, etc. You may wish to state up-front that your goal is to ensure your child can continue in the program.

Thanks, good advice. I knew these assignments were technically "too late." That's why I went in to speak with the teacher, to discuss whether or not he was willing to accept the assignments. I explained that my son is having a rough time and what we are doing to address it. Since he agreed to accept the assignments--I *assumed* he meant he would give partial credit. Not expecting high marks, just hoping to get to a point where recovery (to a C) is possible. I guess, arguably, 24/300 and 1/50 is "partial credit." confused

It never occurred to me the teacher would print off the assignments, supply materials, and then give so few points it was futile. Particularly on the huge project--which DS lost in transit. Teacher knew he'd worked on it for weeks. I have email saying it was "coming along nicely."

I thought the teacher was being flexible and demonstrating his concern. Evidently, he was more interested in a power trip. Ugly behavior. Live and learn.

I
    I
    I thought the teacher was being flexible and demonstrating his concern. Evidently, he was more interested in a power trip. Ugly behavior. Live and learn.
    Sorry that happened. Many of us have been duped at one point or another by those we believed were making friendly, supportive overtures. You've come to a good place to leverage a wide range of experiences and resources that have helped others and which you may also find helpful. smile

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Many of us have been duped at one point or another by those we believed were making friendly, supportive overtures.

That's just...gobsmacking. Turns my entire belief system upside-down.

It'll be a lot of fun (!) trying to figure out how to change my approach to one of "assume the worst." I just read From Emotions to Advocacy and haven't identified exactly where I went off track in my communication with everyone this year. I suspect it's mostly a matter of my failing to adjust to middle school. Just like my son!

OTOH--in the case of the art teacher, my gut feeling is we are dealing with someone with some personal pathology. His emails demonstrate a lack of self-control and self-awareness. There is some irony in that.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    I have a question and I'm sorry for monopolizing this board. frown

I'm having trouble getting my hands on the OT report. I've now asked twice directly from the person who did the evaluation. She told me she had already emailed it, then I asked her to email it again to my work. It still hasn't appeared in my inbox.

Where can I get this report, other than the OT, who is not providing it? I feel like that is an important piece since she said there were "differences" but I don't know what they are--only what they aren't (no fine motor and no something-visual). I know next to nothing about sensory issues. Evidently, she's been in contact with the teachers and is recommending "movement breaks" and something else (a timer, I think?) I don't know what those interventions reflect.

Does this seem like a report the neuropsychologist should have? I'm thinking yes. I'm also thinking it would be helpful to me as a parent.

Is 12 too old to get OT services, privately?

D
    D
    I have a question and I'm sorry for monopolizing this board. frown

Eco, it's a big space and you're taking hardly any-- please ask for what you need.

I'm having trouble getting my hands on the OT report. I've now asked twice directly from the person who did the evaluation. She told me she had already emailed it, then I asked her to email it again to my work. It still hasn't appeared in my inbox.

Since the principal has indicated a willingness to help you, a phone call to that person asking for the report might be the fastest way to get it.

I feel like that is an important piece since she said there were "differences" but I don't know what they are--only what they aren't (no fine motor and no something-visual). I know next to nothing about sensory issues. Evidently, she's been in contact with the teachers and is recommending "movement breaks" and something else (a timer, I think?) I don't know what those interventions reflect.

My gut feeling is that they reflect "standard-issue" responses to ADHD and/or autism. Once you have the report, you will be able to see exactly what they are recommending and whether those recommendations make sense for your child.

FWIW: the standard-issue accommodations don't work for all kids, and they are very often misapplied by people who don't know what to do but want to do something. If they don't fit the needs you see (I bet they won't, based on what you've said), you should call a meeting to discuss with the school team.

I see no way in which "sensory" anything will address the social perception mistakes your DS makes.

Does this seem like a report the neuropsychologist should have? I'm thinking yes. I'm also thinking it would be helpful to me as a parent.

Of course you and the neuropsych should have access. (The school can't give it to the neuropsych without a signed privacy waiver; but once you have the copy it's yours and you can give it to the neuropsych.)

Is 12 too old to get OT services, privately?

No. But I would question whether an OT is the right person here.

IME "sensory issues" are far overdiagnosed and often not the central issue they are made out to be. (I once had an earnest OT tell me DS's autism was "caused by his sensory issues.") OTs have a limited toolkit and this particular part of the toolkit is poorly grounded in science.

Whether or not they are working on the sensory issues, they are going to need to do something throughout the school day about the social/behavioral mistakes. I would want a board-certified behavior analyst observing at school, and talking with the teachers about what they see, and helping make a plan to address these concerns.

I think you as a parent have a big role in helping people stay on target-- keep your eyes on the prize, have a list of the most crucial issues on hand, and when people want to steer toward peripheral issues, keep asing about the crucial ones.

B
    B
    Did you fill out a sensory profile (parent inventory)? OTs seem to love this profile but I didn't think it gave us any helpful, definitive information. It would be helpful to see the results anyway, though. It sounds like she gave him the Beery Visual Motor Integration test and/or the BOT-2 (or similar instruments). In terms of DD's "sensory impairments" the report indicated her results were common with kids with ADHD. No one seemed to think much of the results (including the OT herself). It's stuff like DD is looking for visual stimulation, hence will flip through pages of books. It's not like they're going to do anything about that.

If she is not emailing you the info maybe the next step is to say you need paper copies, and that you are trying to collect information for a neuropsych eval? You need info about assessments that have already been completed.

Have you been in contact with the school psychologist? Is she/he as incomptetent as everyone else in the school? It sounds like you need a "functional behavioral assessment". If they actually did a comprehensive eval you could ask for that to be included but it sounds like they don't even know basic stuff at that school. Our school thinks that all they need to do for an evaluation is get a CogAT score on the student, and then look at their grades and computerized achievement test scores (like MAP) and determine eligibility. If the achievement scores are above the 10th percentile (or some other arbitrary point they consider "failing"), the student is not eligible. The school psych has no idea what a FBA even is. She told me that they are not responsible for any testing besides the above, because it's "neuropsych" testing.

Like your school, the OT was more reasonable than anyone else, but the results didn't really matter anyway since DD was not failing anything.

Ask the OT if the school can give parent/teacher versions of the BRIEF for executive functioning. (DD's teacher scores were terrible on this but the school STILL would not do anything).

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM