Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    C
    cmguy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Executive function seems to be pretty important (it's one of those things that seems to be conspicuous by its absence). How do I help my gifted 4 year old develop it? Being bilingual seems to help. Anything else parents can do?

Last edited by cmguy; 04/27/15 07:40 AM.
    At four, my opinion is that the answer is, "not much." Items a kid that age should be working on to develop their EF would include:

- Dressing themselves - with adult input for weather conditions/planned activities
    - Hygiene (teeth, self-bathing, washing up before meals, etc)
    - Small chores (feed a pet, return their dishes to the sink, gathering their laundry, etc)

One item outside the norm we used with our DD was that, as we travel often, we put her in charge of gathering toys/activities she'd like to have along for the trip. If she didn't grab it, she didn't have it.

I'd also suggest that electronics are a sneaky way of teaching this, because gaining access to the materials the child wants involves a process of some sort, no matter what kind of device we're talking about. If your 4yo can locate a game disc, power on the console, power on the television, switch video inputs, activate the console remote, navigate the on-screen menus, and launch their game, their EF is quite advanced.

P
    P
    Isn't executive function somewhat absent by default in 4 year olds?

2 out of 3 of my kids have great EF, but the skills didn't really start taking shape i a way that was obvious to me until they were around 8-9 years old. When they were 8-9 years old, that's when I started really noticing the differences between my EF-is-intact kids vs my kid who is challenged with EF. At 4, I'd say that for the most part the EF functioning appeared very much at the same level for all three, even though ds definitely had his challenges - they just weren't as obvious as they would become once he was in school.

Best wishes,

polarbear

C
    cmguy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I figured 4 was early but I want to be ahead of the curve on this one smile

B
    B
    Originally Posted by cmguy
    Executive function seems to be pretty important (it's one of those things that seems to be conspicuous by its absence). How do I help my gifted 4 year old develop it? Being bilingual seems to help. Anything else parents can do?
    According to a paper from 2008, Individual Differences in Executive Functions Are Almost Entirely Genetic in Origin.

Abstract
    Recent psychological and neuropsychological research suggests that executive functions — the cognitive control processes that regulate thought and action — are multifaceted and that different types of executive functions are correlated but separable. The present multivariate twin study of three executive functions (inhibiting dominant responses, updating working memory representations, and shifting between task sets), measured as latent variables, examined why people vary in these executive control abilities and why these abilities are correlated but separable from a behavioral genetic perspective. Results indicated that executive functions are correlated because they are influenced by a highly heritable (99%) common factor that goes beyond general intelligence or perceptual speed, and they are separable because of additional genetic influences unique to particular executive functions. This combination of general and specific genetic influences places executive functions among the most heritable psychological traits. These results highlight the potential of genetic approaches for uncovering the biological underpinnings of executive functions and suggest a need for examining multiple types of executive functions to distinguish different levels of genetic influences.
    Maybe children with poorer executive function will need to be supervised more closely.

C
    cmguy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    The study you reference does not seem to have been done on the gifted population. It's not clear one can extrapolate to from NT to gifted in any useful way.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by cmguy
    The study you reference does not seem to have been done on the gifted population. It's not clear one can extrapolate to from NT to gifted in any useful way.
    Such an extrapolation would be my default assumption until proved otherwise.

K
    K
    Here's an activity guide published by the Harvard University Center on the Developing Child. It begins with an overview of EF and then suggests different age related activities for children. It also explains why each activity is helpful to the development of EF.

Enhancing and Practicing Executive Function Skills with Children from Infancy to Adolescence

Q
    Q
    I think that EF must be genetic in nature as well but I also believe that it can be improved with training, particularly absent major medical issues. I have three children who have varying EF levels despite being brought up in the same home environment. I have one who has exceptionally high EF, one with average EF which seems borderline given his other abilities but who has improved with training, and one with an obvious EF deficit that further deteriorated substantially due to subsequent medical issues.

T
    T
    I had a 6yo DS who was unable to so much as locate and put on his socks without constant parental input, all the while his 2 yo sister was changing her own diaper.
    Anyone wants to try and tell me this is NOT genetics? smile

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM