Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Could be that it is LOG, could be it's a major aversion to black-and-white thinking, could be that it's perfectionism, and it's possible that it's just a personality quirk.

My DD10 is highly prone to perfectionism, and she's always been very decisive in picking outfits or ordering from a menu, so I'd check that one off the list. I lean to "personality quirk", in which the individual is agonizing over picking the best possible of too many options, given too many unknowns.

That seems to be what's going on with DW, our family's only bad menu orderer. Way too many times she has agonized over a menu, narrowed her options to the thing I picked or choice B, ordered B, compared our dishes, and engaged in self-recriminating regret when my choice turned out to be "better," even when her food was perfectly good (and when her dish was not well-executed... yikes!). She'd be a lot happier if she just ordered whatever I do, but she still keeps playing this game.

DD, on the other hand, is perfectly content to learn that someone ordered something she'd prefer, enjoy her own meal, and take note of it for next time.

A
    A
    DD8 would make a full analysis of options including a pro and con list, a checklist, a timeline, a floor plan, a sketch, an informational poster, some art and a poem about every decision if she could. But if she can't (which is most of the time, because, come on) she'll just decide straight away and move on.
    I will decide straight away and move on because I'm very lazy and impatient.
    DH cannot make decisions. I think he gets stuck secretly making pro and con lists, checklists, timelines, floor plans, sketches, posters, art and poems in his head smile

F
    F
    Okay, that last part....really just summed up everything for me. I mean, I always know I don't want to paint that room blue, and I don't want green or yellow but....then what do I want? I never know what I actually want, just what I don't.
    And that's so true for me about the thinking/feeling thing, or at least sometimes. Because it's like, do I FEEL like this or like this? Not just if I feel like I want pizza or a sandwich (although of course that's another thing), but do I feel lunch-y and nostalgic like the pb&j or do I feel happy and carefree like pizza? And then I ask other people what I should do when I can't decide, and they stare at me like Can't you make your own choices? And how do you FEEL lunch like that?
    At least I know it's not just me. Hope that made sense BTW - maybe that last part IS just me. :-)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM