Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    D
    D
    I think you'll be pleased with the power for change that comes with this approach.

L
    L
    Eco..I can't provide much advise but your comment about working full time while raising a gifted 2e child is challenging. I made a comment to another parent on this board that I felt like I was a full time case manager trying to manage my child's education and care. I seriously need to consider starting a school specializing in 2e kids. There is such a need.

D
    D
    Laurie, how about you move here first, then start the school... :-)

E
    E
    No way, I'm keeping her in my area! wink

B
    B
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    There is also a 504 accommodation that he will have "peer assistance" with organizing. The teachers said this didn't work, so they stopped doing it. I'm not crazy about that accommodation, anyhow, so I didn't push it.
    That is a ridiculous accommodation. Even non ADHD kids need help at this age for organization. Other kids can't be expected to 'help' your child in this manner. My DS's teacher at this age expected the kids to have a 'buddy' in class they could ask about missed assignments if they were sick or missed school. Did not work, the other student was not at all cooperative.

You need to go back to your team and try and set up some better accommodations. It's totally normal to expect students & teachers to keep contracts that both student & teachers sign to check that they understand the homework. This is done in H.S. with failing students, and should be fairly common in junior high. My son had to do one with one of his teachers this fall and it really helped. This was a teacher who is known for miscommunicating what homework was due and the contracts was as much for her as me.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    That is a ridiculous accommodation. Even non ADHD kids need help at this age for organization. Other kids can't be expected to 'help' your child in this manner. My DS's teacher at this age expected the kids to have a 'buddy' in class they could ask about missed assignments if they were sick or missed school. Did not work, the other student was not at all cooperative.

You need to go back to your team and try and set up some better accommodations. It's totally normal to expect students & teachers to keep contracts that both student & teachers sign to check that they understand the homework. This is done in H.S. with failing students, and should be fairly common in junior high. My son had to do one with one of his teachers this fall and it really helped. This was a teacher who is known for miscommunicating what homework was due and the contracts was as much for her as me.

Good advice, thank you. I don't know how often I am allowed to "go back." Clearly, what we are doing isn't working very well.

I agree it's a dumb accommodation, especially for 12 year olds. It's not some other child's responsibility to help my child. If *I* have a terrible time getting him to self-regulate and his teachers do, too--it's hard to imagine a kid could do it. LOL!

The other thing that's somewhat salient: the core teachers in this program only have 15 students per class, maximum, in block schedule format. They teach 40-45 students total. It's not the average MS situation...the rationale being the students need extra attention. LOL!

The kids take HS classes, too. One in 6th, two in 7th, not sure how many in 8th. So in those classes, the demand-on-teacher is more typical.

I am not sure where the LOL'ing came from. Suddenly it struck me as outrageous how little support my son has received this year.

LOL!

Last edited by eco21268; 04/26/15 04:40 PM.
    D
    D
    Good advice, thank you. I don't know how often I am allowed to "go back." Clearly, what we are doing isn't working very well.

You can ask to revise the plan anytime. Having the new report will certainly be an occasion for doing so.

I agree it's a dumb accommodation, especially for 12 year olds. It's not some other child's responsibility to help my child. If *I* have a terrible time getting him to self-regulate and his teachers do, too--it's hard to imagine a kid could do it. LOL!

Indeed :-)

The other thing that's somewhat salient: the core teachers in this program only have 15 students per class, maximum, in block schedule format. They teach 40-45 students total. It's not the average MS situation...the rationale being the students need extra attention. LOL!

Well, OK then-- bring on the extra attention!

I am not sure where the LOL'ing came from. Suddenly it struck me as outrageous how little support my son has received this year.
    LOL!

I will take the laugh over the weep any day. Well done.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM