Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    In NYC and many other places, I am sure these days, many baristas already have college degrees and come from 'privileged' middle class families...
    Most likely, those are not the individuals looking to apply for admission this program. However I believe you may be raising another critical issue... one of underemployment?

S
    S
    While it is true that GPAs and SAT scores are predictive of college success, they may not be the only predictors of success in college - or in life. The program does not seem to be marketed to the traditional student, but rather as an outreach to individuals who might not have otherwise had the opportunity to take college courses (specifically the baristas mentioned in an article upthread), and to those who may not have taken an SAT exam, etc. Additionally the Global Freshman Academy may provide a great opportunity for a young gifted student to access higher level curriculum. Like all tools, this one can be used appropriately.

I agree this program is not for traditional student. Some people do not have the SATs and the time to go to a regular college, some have to work full time from a very young age. I think this provides opportunities for such people.

It is also an opportunity for gifted kids. In some towns where there are no schools for gifted children and no options for acceleration within school and no access to community college or university course for kids that exhaust the regular curriculum in high school. Parents of gifted kids in places like this have to scramble continuously for opportunities to keep their children challenged. This provides gifted kids with the opportunity to take college level courses while they are in high school regardless of where they live.

75west Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you, thank you, thank you loubalou. Yes!!! Couldn't agree with you more.

MA is a state that with zero funding for g/t services. A handful of towns and cities may have some form of g/t but not mine. No options for acceleration within the public and no access to community college or state colleges until age 14 either; even when dual enrollment kicks in, there is a host of restrictions. And with the cost of housing, transportation, and other living expenses being so high here, many parents do not see un/homeschooling as a viable alternative for their gifted kids due to the financial sacrifices and costs involved.

For these reasons and others, the Global Freshman Academy will be a breath of fresh air. Yes, it's not a panacea but it's better than nothing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM