Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 244 of 268 1 2 242 243 244 245 246 267 268
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I am just so amazed by DS7's reading speed and insatiability these days. He's blazing through 800+ pages a week (stuff like Redwall and Percy Jackson). I have no idea how I'm going to keep him in books, mind you, but wow.

Wow! That is awesome! My dd (99.9% verbal) wasn't doing that at 7!

D
    D
    Dd14 is having one of her book reviews published in the print edition of Creative Kids magazine! They only print 4 per year! Happy for her that she can see the results of her hard work!

D
    D
    Deacongirl, hurray for DD! And glad you're back here with us.

U
    U
    Congrats to your DD, deacongirl--I need to look up that magazine for DD! There isn't much out there that's good for kids who write, I notice, but I've seen that one and it looked nice.

DS did test 99.9 verbal. He wakes up early on weekends and reads while DH and I sleep (and after school, and actually, his teacher also lets him read during class when he finishes his work early). Pretty sweet deal! wink I'm just always so thrilled when I find a new LONG series he likes. It's not always so easy. I really don't know what he's going to have left by the time he's say, 9.

A
    A
    Exciting news, deacongirl! Congrats to your DD!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    D
    D
    Thanks! Dd is excited. After getting a scholastic gold key last year she was bummed to just get 2 honorable mentions this year, so it was nice for some positive recognition for her writing.

Ultramarina that is really cool- hoping there are some great soon to be published series out there for him.

Deedee thanks for the welcome back! Dd14 has been doing well. I guess I will find out soon if this is the right place for you generous people to share your wisdom to help me parent dd8.

T
    T
    I wasn't sure whether 8 was really the right age to start facilitating programming, or whether I really should steer clear of screen time as much as possible, but it appears that DS8 really benefits from the mental exercise. (Will still try to get him out and about and moving as much as possible this summer!)
    DS has been taking mind storms and scratch classes at an enrichment academy for gifted kids offered for third and fourth graders (open for all kids with teachers recommendations, and as it's in a fairly rural area, it does appear to reach the kids who are really interested, no tiger kids around) and loves it. Yesterday, after his third scratch session, the instructor took me aside and asked whether DS was enrolled in the scratch workshop scheduled to start in a month when the introductory classes were over. "Because he should be moving ahead at about twice the pace I am going, and I can't go any faster because I'd lose the other kids, but in the workshop, everyone can move at the pace they need." Considering they other kids are mostly fourth graders, presumably gifted ones, I was really proud, and yes, he will be enrolled in the workshop and hopefully busy and happy!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    I wasn't sure whether 8 was really the right age to start facilitating programming, or whether I really should steer clear of screen time as much as possible, but it appears that DS8 really benefits from the mental exercise. (Will still try to get him out and about and moving as much as possible this summer!)
    DS has been taking mind storms and scratch classes at an enrichment academy for gifted kids offered for third and fourth graders (open for all kids with teachers recommendations, and as it's in a fairly rural area, it does appear to reach the kids who are really interested, no tiger kids around) and loves it. Yesterday, after his third scratch session, the instructor took me aside and asked whether DS was enrolled in the scratch workshop scheduled to start in a month when the introductory classes were over. "Because he should be moving ahead at about twice the pace I am going, and I can't go any faster because I'd lose the other kids, but in the workshop, everyone can move at the pace they need." Considering they other kids are mostly fourth graders, presumably gifted ones, I was really proud, and yes, he will be enrolled in the workshop and hopefully busy and happy!

That is great! How cool that the instructor recognized his need to move at a faster pace and he will have the opportunity to do so! My dd might like something like that but I am completely clueless.

D
    D
    So 2 brags in a week about dd14 but I haven't bragged on her for awhile...she was accepted to a summer intensive Shakespeare program. So proud of her for being brave and auditioning--she is on the youngest side of age range. I asked if she was happy and she said "overjoyed"!

A
    A
    That's so exciting, deacongirl! Congrats to your DD!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 244 of 268 1 2 242 243 244 245 246 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM