Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 324 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    [just moving this post because I realize it belongs here and not in 'Learning Environments']

Hello all! Just want to start out by saying this year has been nothing short of fabulous for my 2e boy! And I credit this board and you awesome parents for all the help you gave us in our 2e journey! Thank you all so, so, so much!

So, we got a letter home saying the kiddos in enrichment math this year (my son is one) will be tested to see they qualify for "accelerated math" in 4th grade. No surprise. I knew the kids would be tested for this and I knew the criteria is some sort of standardize assessment, teacher input and math grades - so I knew a standardized test was coming up for this... I just figured it's the Kaufman or maybe WIAT or something (I don't know, are there others?) Anyway, what struck me though was the statement in the letter that kids would first be "screened with a short standardized math test." THEN, if they pass the screening they get another test - standardized test. I am just curious - what does this mean? I admit it makes me a little concerned because the OLSAT is used at this school to "screen" for the gifted program and we all know that isn't a good measure... so, I guess I have my doubts when they start using the word "screen." I mean, nothing for me to do but see how it goes for him. But I am just curious how this usually works, if anyone knows? What screening they could possibly be using and is such a tool usually reliable (unlike the screening tools for IQ testing). Thanks in advance!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Hmm. Could be the WRAT-4, which is fairly short, and can be administered to groups. If so, it is moderately reliable. It's a favorite of neuropsychs, because of its brevity. Some of the gifted screeners also include a brief achievement screening test, so it could be one of those, too. Not quite as reliable.

Other than the KTEA and WIAT, other achievement tests include the WJ and PIAT. Then, for math specifically (not a comprehensive), the KeyMath and the CMAT. These latter two are more in-depth than any of the comprehensives, but (curiously) neither one includes fluency measures. Not that should matter for this particular function.

Personally, I would want to see how students performed on a series of unit assessments in the actual curriculum, as a predictor of success in accelerated math, rather than performance on instruments designed to determine rank-order against the national norm group. One can hope that there is a placement test for the destination curriculum.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    i think our school just used a teacher written maths test and took the top scoring kids. Of course they got high achievers rather than gifted in the most part but never mind!

P
    P
    Irena, can you ask what the screen is?

Our elementary school used screening tests at the beginning of each year, sometimes at the beginning of units, that were created by teachers and covered the specific curriculum that would be taught. Our kids' middle school is using math assessments for placement at the beginning of each year that come with the specific math curriculum they use.

I'm so glad to hear your ds' school year is going well - YAY!!!

Best wishes,

polarbear

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by puffin
    i think our school just used a teacher written maths test and took the top scoring kids. Of course they got high achievers rather than gifted in the most part but never mind!

Well, I think this is more about achievement as well, math achievement in particular ... It's not part of the gifted program and that is a-okay with me.

Last edited by Irena; 04/22/15 06:36 AM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Irena, can you ask what the screen is?

Our elementary school used screening tests at the beginning of each year, sometimes at the beginning of units, that were created by teachers and covered the specific curriculum that would be taught. Our kids' middle school is using math assessments for placement at the beginning of each year that come with the specific math curriculum they use.

I'm so glad to hear your ds' school year is going well - YAY!!!

Best wishes,

polarbear

The letter did say short "standardized" test. I could ask but I know they prefer not to say ... It didn't seem worth looking like a crazy tiger mom who'll make him prep for the next week or so. He's a strong math student so I'm sure if accelerated is right for him hell be fine.... But I am curious - and slightly concerned, I guess. I don't know ... Do you guys think I should just ask so we have an idea of what he'll face? Usually I don't care how Iook to the school lol! Not sure why I do now!

P
    P
    I'm not sure I'd ask which specific test it is (before he takes it), but if he has testing accommodations I'd confirm that he'll be receiving his accommodations.

If he doesn't pass the screening, I'd appeal and ask for details such as what the test was etc.

Good luck to your ds - I'm sure he'll do fine!

polarbear

F
    F
    Our school uses MAP as the screener.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Just a look at the school district's annual report assessment section has indicated that they have used WRAT-4 in the past "for select students" in his grade . So, that may be it.
    Thanks AEH for the info on it!

I am going to email and make sure he gets his accommodations (but I'm not going to ask which test it is) His teachers this year are fabulous so I feel pretty confident his accommodations will be in place but it'll put my mind and his mind at ease to be reassured ahead of time. Thnx polarbear!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM